Smoked Salmon

Bought one of those slabs of salmon at Costco today.  Looked up a recipe to smoke it on the Pit Boss.  Did a salt and brown sugar dry brine for about 3 hours (supposed to be 24 but I didn't have that kind of time.)  Washed the brine off after about 4 hours and put it on the smoker "low and slow" for an hour.  IT WAS FANTASTIC!  First time I've ever smoked salmon before and it will definitely not be the last.

Do any of you have any good rubs/brines/smoking ideas for fish?

• Wow 1

I've smoked salmon a few times, it's really good. Normally I don't do much to it, just a little salt. 

This is a good marinade for any meaty type of fish.... salmon, Mahi, tuna, swordfish..

i-w8nGqcR-600x339.jpg

Hope you can read my hand writing. 🙂

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1

I’ve had the opportunity to catch, clean and smoke all on the same day. My son and brother live in anchorage and the silver run in mid July has to be seen to believe. I love salmon and think over cooking would be one of the few ways that I wouldn’t eat it.  Costco is good but fresh caught is awesome. I’ll try your marinade next time. 

I think with a good rub and a long smoking would make a shoe edible. 

• Admin Team

Half and half salt and brown sugar - maybe with a touch of teriyaki sauce is my go to .  Brining overnight at least will really take it to another level. Also, if you’re going to put it on the smoker, after you rinse it - it’s really worth it to let it sit on the counter for an hour or so to form a pellicle - sort of a tacky layer the smoke adheres to and seals the moisture inside the fish. And of course - watch your temperature. You’re going a lot lower with salmon.

• Thanks 1

I have not smoked any type of fish, but had some fried catfish yesterday. The pieces of fish were about 10" long so we fried it with an egg dip then Corn Meal, and it was great. Just a little sea salt and pepper was the ticket for us. Baked fresh asparagus left crisp, cold slaw, and beans to go with it. Meal fit for a King! 

Have not fried fish in years. Purchased the fish from Kroger, and the guy said it had just arrived and was fresh. Had no fishy smell. 

12 hours ago, peejman said:

I've smoked salmon a few times, it's really good. Normally I don't do much to it, just a little salt. 

This is a good marinade for any meaty type of fish.... salmon, Mahi, tuna, swordfish..

i-w8nGqcR-600x339.jpg

Hope you can read my hand writing. 🙂

This sounds fabulous!  Look forward to trying it.  Thanks!

We maintain a low sodium approach to everything we cook so when I smoke anything its just the meat and the smoke to provide the flavor. I know there's a strong debate over fruit wood for fish but I stick with a hickory mesquite blend with a hot and fast smoke. It leaves the salmon very juicy with a mild smoke flavor compared to some of those store bought smoked salmons that reek of smoke from the moment you open it. What salmon does Costco offer up that you smoke ? Atlantic , Scottish, Chilean ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, FUJIMO said:

We maintain a low sodium approach to everything we cook so when I smoke anything its just the meat and the smoke to provide the flavor. I know there's a strong debate over fruit wood for fish but I stick with a hickory mesquite blend with a hot and fast smoke. It leaves the salmon very juicy with a mild smoke flavor compared to some of those store bought smoked salmons that reek of smoke from the moment you open it. What salmon does Costco offer up that you smoke ? Atlantic , Scottish, Chilean ?

What I bought yesterday was Atlantic Sockeye

• Like 1
2 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

When you say hot and fast smoke, what temp do you use and for how long?  

18 minutes ago, Luckyforward said:

When you say hot and fast smoke, what temp do you use and for how long?  

Smoke at 300° until internal temperature is 120°. Pull it, tent it for 30 min and then consume. I dont go by time as much anymore because several variables factor in. What else is on the smoker, thickness and size of the salmon filet, skin on or not,etc. Farmed salmon vs wild salmon also makes a difference. 

5 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

Smoke at 300° until internal temperature is 120°. Pull it, tent it for 30 min and then consume. I dont go by time as much anymore because several variables factor in. What else is on the smoker, thickness and size of the salmon filet, skin on or not,etc. Farmed salmon vs wild salmon also makes a difference. 

Perfect!  Thanks for the info.  You are so right; cooking by time means nothing; temp is more important.

• Like 1

I have never smoked any fish but back years ago when I fished for Rockfish in Percy Priest I would catch a 20+ pound and bring it home and clean it and prep it for the grill. I would dice up a couple bell peppers, a couple onions, a couple cloves of Garlic chopped up add about 3 table spoons of butter and wrap it all together in Aluminum Foil and put it on the grill and slow cook it for about 3.5 hours. While I was cooking the fish my wife was making Slaw and Potato salad and we had a feast. The fish would fall off the bone with just a fork.

43 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I have never smoked any fish but back years ago when I fished for Rockfish in Percy Priest I would catch a 20+ pound and bring it home and clean it and prep it for the grill. I would dice up a couple bell peppers, a couple onions, a couple cloves of Garlic chopped up add about 3 table spoons of butter and wrap it all together in Aluminum Foil and put it on the grill and slow cook it for about 3.5 hours. While I was cooking the fish my wife was making Slaw and Potato salad and we had a feast. The fish would fall off the bone with just a fork.

Many years ago my dad, cousin, and I would jug fish on Center Hill Lake and would catch really large catfish.  We would fillet them and do just as you did; bell peppers, taters, onions, corn, spiced it up and put in on the grill wrapped in aluminum foil.  Man it was good!

Back before Rockfish I did like you and used catfish. I would run about 25 limb lines on the Harpeth River and catch Flathead cats weighing 15 to 20 pounds and we would filet them and cook some and freeze some some times my mother and father wanted fried so I let them do the cooking and i did the eating....LOL

• Like 1