shooting on private property

3 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Are you inside the city limits? If not, I expect it is perfectly legal to shoot on your property as long as you have a positive backstop. You may have neighbors with noise complaints, however.

i dont live in mount juliet any more i live slightly outside franklin (finally got my first house back in 2020) but i am currently looking for some land and would like to have some to shoot on, just need to know what all i need to know to be safe etc

5 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Maybe call the sheriff’s office where you intend to buy? There isn’t any state law against it.

i know that but isnt there something no one within a mile of you or something like that? i do know if and when i do it, i will have a sloped ditch dug into the ground with some good backstops

Just now, ironsniper1 said:

i know that but isnt there something no one within a mile of you or something like that? i do know if and when i do it, i will have a sloped ditch dug into the ground with some good backstops

Not that I’m aware of.

• Like 1

When I moved to TN four years ago I stopped at the local Sheriff's office and asked the same question. They told me that I can shoot on my own property (20 rural acres.) I regularly shoot out behind the barn, but before I began I spoke with my nearest neighbors, all of whom also shoot on occasion. 

The guys on this forum are a great resource, but speaking with your county sheriff makes more sense than taking the word of a stranger on the internet. 

• Like 2

Generally, if you're outside city limits, have a good (earthen) backstop, and know what's down range, you're good. The county sheriffs office can confirm.  Expect noise complaints and a visit from a deputy most any time you shoot. 

• Like 2

Several of my neighbors have their own range and all of them I know have guns and shoot, so I never have had a complaint in 8 years so far. Several have been invited to shoot and one has taken me up on it. Even with the neighbors I have, I limit the really loud shooting to a public range. I self limit to around 10 rounds of really loud shooting to check a scope or try a new gun.

Edited by Jeb48

Have always shot at my place, and the Sheriff is an old friend… but I have had some retired folks who don’t seem to be “gun folks” move in next door. So, now I feel obligated to tell them before I shoot.. since it’s normally magnum revolvers, and I don’t want to cause them “issues”..  He seems ok with it, but she appears quite aggravated. Knew I should’ve bought more acreage decades ago.