New Tool/Toy

pop pop

Just got this email from Taurus.

2x mags and 5x tandemkross mag extensions. $44. They occasionally have a sale on 6 mags and a pouch or something for $99. 

https://shoptaurus.com/shop-by-model/pistols/taurustx-22/tandemkross-wingman-5-ext-tx22-magazines-2pk-promo

I didn’t have time to try out the +5 on mine. Took advantage of having some free labor to hang more targets and sight in a couple rifles/add accessories. If I have time to shoot in the next couple weeks I’ll try to remember to leave a review on if they worked as well as the stock mags. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd mention I finally I shot over 2200 rounds as of yesterday. Work and life interfered with my shooting...

I had my 2nd Fail to Feed, but it was a somewhat bent 10+ year old Golden Bullet and I just wanted to see if it would feed. Nope 😉

I don't know if mine is an anomaly or if this is the normal for the TX series. But I'm quite pleased with this little .22 especially in combination with the Holosun. Great pairing.

• Like 2

Love my TX series I am pleased you have got so my rounds thru it with so little problems I look forward to shooting more rounds with mine  As far as ammo mine likes Blazer or CCI  I use federal or Remington I start having more issues. I would like to try the extended mags also  Any problem with your steel guide rod digging into your aluminum frame  I saw a video of guide rod putting a hole in the slide he didn’t say how many rounds were fired to achieve that I have not had any problems so far 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Sleep profit said:

Love my TX series I am pleased you have got so my rounds thru it with so little problems I look forward to shooting more rounds with mine  As far as ammo mine likes Blazer or CCI  I use federal or Remington I start having more issues. I would like to try the extended mags also  Any problem with your steel guide rod digging into your aluminum frame  I saw a video of guide rod putting a hole in the slide he didn’t say how many rounds were fired to achieve that I have not had any problems so far 

Thank you. I'm pleasantly surprised with my TX Compact.

Federal Automatch is what I have the most of in my stores, CCI Mini Mags have always been a favorite of mine. Thankfully my TX isn't being too picky.

I have 4 of the 16 round mags and 2 of the 13 rd mags and all function very well. The 16 round are actually less expensive. Go figure.

I haven't noticed any excessive wear, but will certainly keep an eye on things.

Rhett Neumayer with Demonstrated Concepts (has a Youtube vid or several) has put a bunch of rounds through one without issues. He's an incredible shooter imho.

If anyone will wear one out he will. 🙂

• Like 2

I had a friend whom ordered one from Kentucky Gun Company. brand new he was excited to go shot it and he noticed his target didn’t look right when we looked at it closer.  gun was Key holing every round he sent it back to them to their credit they sent him a new gun and a free cleaning kit  So things can happen 

• Like 2

I believe the slide issues were from early 2020 models and rectified. Fired off about 9 mags of federal automatch yesterday (through the stock slide not competition) and had a few failures to feed where they went in practically sideways/vertical. Not a common ammo I run but seemed to not like it, although I did put the stock slide away fairly wet. CCI never an issue, just got a bunch of federal for dirt cheap and trying to Burn through it to make some room. Will stick to that in the 10/22 or bolt action. 

*Did just read that it seems that my failure may have been due to pulling the mag tab down to load. Apparently it likes it if you load them like a regular mag. I was heading out the door and just got the itch so fired off 9 mags in 5 mins. They are a little finicky to load* 

https://dahlonegaarmory.com/product/tx22-competition-22lr-bk-5.4 - cheapest comp I’ve ever seen. $20 shipping. 

Another reminder that Taurus does 20% off 3-4x a year around holidays. Could get the regular slide/6 mags for 20% off. If you sign up for email reminders they typically don’t spam and only send maybe 2 a week and not obnoxious (looking at you PSA and opticplanet). 

Edited by Scotty
Included deal.
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Sleep profit said:

Why does pulling the mag tab down to load make it have problems.? And are saying oil affects it  thanks for info 

Couldn’t tell you, just something I read online and a couple people agreed.  Could just be internet gossip. It is kinda weird having to bang them all around to get them aligned as opposed to a ruger Mk series/glock44 where they just sit pretty on a drop in if you pull it down. Whenever I’m shooting with less experienced shooters they usually say something along the lines of “am I doing this right, or doesn’t look right”.  

• Like 1

OK...all this talk has me seriously thinking of add the Compact to my stable. I bought the full-size and have loved it. Been shooting CCI pretty much all the time with it and as you say, it's been very dependable, but for a couple of deformed nose that didn't feed. Love the little plinker.

Sounds like the Compact might be good for my wife. She thinks the full size is too big! LOL! I've been taking her away from revolvers of the last couple of years, as I don't want her to do anything but pick it up and pull the trigger. I started her out with the S&W 317 and though I liked it...she didn't. Found a 351PD and I loved it. She didn't. Both have stayed where I stash them for her. so she has the choice. 

Although I really like the 351PD, it has the same issue that my K22 has. Shoot 8/10 rounds and it so dirty and gummy that the cyclinder won't turn. Both have been to S&W over the years for inspection, but not much happed or was improved by them. The comment I recieved was simply that these guns were so tight they had to be abnormally clean to function for more than a few rounds. Not really happy about it, but they are both so darn fun to shoot that I've put up with it. Which means they don't get shot frequently.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Sleep profit said:

Why does pulling the mag tab down to load make it have problems.? And are saying oil affects it  thanks for info 

The magazine is a staggered design.  Pulling the tab down sometimes causes one round to stack directly on top of the one before it.  That leads to miss-feeds.   Using the supplied Taurus loader and carefully watching to assure that each round is staggered makes feeding much more reliable.

When the magazines are properly loaded, it feeds reliably.

• Like 1

I really, really like the one I purchased also. Don't plan to put a red dot sight on it, but plan to take the mounting plate off the one I purchased. The plate is too wide and I don't like that about the pistol. I hope the loss of weight will not cause problems with cycling. I have not had any failures with it as of now. Had it out 4 trips to the range, and put 4 boxes through it. WELL worth the money IMO.

Edited; Spelling

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, pop pop said:

I really, really like the one I purchased also. Don't plan to put a red dot sight on it, but plan to take the mounting plate off the one I purchased. The plate is too wide and I don't like that about the pistol. I hope the loss of weight will not cause problems with cycling. I have not had any failures with it as of now. Had it out 4 trips to the range, and put 4 boxes through it. WELL worth the money IMO.

Edited; Spelling

Should be fine without the plate mount. As your not changing the weight of the slide. I wonder if Taurus would sell an undrilled barrel for this.  I really like a red dot on this gun. Perfectly made for one. No stress on the red dot. The cheap XP Glass Eagle is preforming perfectly. It’s got all the good features for a fraction of the price. A little hard to find now that their not made anymore. 

Edited by Gurn
Info added
  • Like 1

I reload the TX22 mags by pulling the mag tab down just a bit as I push in the next cartridge. Once I got the hang of it I had no issues with locking or misfeeds, and it's quicker for me than using the tool.

Taurus has offered 6 mags in a soft mag case for $99 direct in the past, pretty good deal if you want more mags.

Saw the Competition model in store at Outpost not long ago for regular model pricing (I think it was $250 or so). Could be a good place to look if people want it from a local shop.

• Like 1

I just took my TX 22 Competition out for another test drive. I used the provided mag loader to stock the 3 mags. I put 16 rounds in each magazine. I was shooting from a standing "semi supported" (Mag plate seated on a stool) hand hold at 12 yards with the open sights that came on the pistol. 

No FTF/Cycle, somewhat slow fired all 48 rounds, and put every round, but 2, in a 1 1/2" groups on steel. That pistol shot to the sights, and it is very accurate. Really like the pistol.   

• Like 3

I have not put as many rounds through my TX Competiton but have had no FTF yet. Using Winchester L R 1280 FPS Velocity 36 Gr Plated H Ps ammo in it and also using the mag loading tool that came with the pistol to load the mags. A little slow but the mags are staggered perfectly after using the loader. Probably 350 rounds at this point. Want to take it out this morning if it doesn't rain. Tried to take the red dot mounting plate off mine, however it has metric screws, and I have misplaced my metric Allen Wrench combo set. Highly like this pistol. It has spurred me to the range 5 times in this hot weather the last 3 weeks, and I am enjoying shooting it. Not to hot this morning.  Highly recommend this pistol if you are in the market for a 22 LR pistol. What is not to like about the price! Mine was 269.00 + Tax and Nix check. I think the reg price was 459.00 but Outpost had a good sale on when I purchased the TX Competition. 

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just bumping this back up to say I remain impressed with my TX22Compact.

I'm no longer keeping a detailed round count (didn't see the point) but judging from the empty bulk boxes of .22 I'm at well over 4K rounds.

I just keep it relatively clean. Keep the rails lubed for sure.

As I have been tied to using a cane r/t an ankle tendon injury the past 5 weeks I've been working on my non-dominate hand shooting ('cause reasons). I've had one failure to eject last week and believe it was completely related to a poor grip issue on my part.

I remain impressed, surprised, yet impressed.

My grandson and his family had my TX out over the Holiday week and it had one failure due to the same thing, soft grip. I guess I got close to 1500 + rounds thru the TX now.  Totally satisfied with it and so was my family. Son-in-law said he might purchase one, if he can find it locally in Mt Pleasant, S Carolina where the reside. The TX is a great addition to anyone's collection. I have not cleaned the one I have yet which could have added to the failure. Will see to it soon. We have a 91 Y O sister-in-law in the house recouping after she fell and broke her hip for now. Be tied u for this week. Jamie seems you are enjoying yours like my family and I have the one we have. Thanks for the update. 

• Thanks 1