Lever Guns

JKGlock17

• Moderators

30-30 is a great caliber but I am a huge Marlin 45-70 guy. 45-70 is just a great versatile round. I may have one or nine 45-70 levers and have two more to add as soon as I can meet up with a friend.

Then again I am a huge any caliber lever Marlin guy.  Heck, I like Henry, Winchester, Mossberg, etc., levers too.  OK, I like all lever guns.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, KahrMan said:

I am partial to big bores so I love Marlin .45-70's.

I am leaning towards 45-70 for the versatility but i have heard 30-30 can be just as versatile

i think the bigger round would work better, but this is why i am asking. plus i want to hear if anybody prefers a different caliber than what is listed and why

What are you gonna shoot with it? For general plinking, a 22 Long Rifle is my cartridge of choice. Low recoil, low noise, and low cost.  

45-70 is pricey cartridge unless you cast and handload. They also provide a considerably amount of recoil.

Lever rifles chambered for revolver cartridges are a good compromise, and you can then carry the same ammo for your rifle and sidearm, which is neat.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 4

I’m personally on a quest to have one cambered in most of the common’ish cartridges. So far I have .22lr, .45LC, 45-70, .38spc/.357. I’m hoping Ruger Marlin releases a dark series 30-30, and I recently heard of a company making one chambered in .500 S&W. For me lever guns, particularly ones without the traditional wood look, have multiplied more than anything else in my collection.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Danger Rane said:

I’m personally on a quest to have one cambered in most of the common’ish cartridges. So far I have .22lr, .45LC, 45-70, .38spc/.357. I’m hoping Ruger Marlin releases a dark series 30-30, and I recently heard of a company making one chambered in .500 S&W. For me lever guns, particularly ones without the traditional wood look, have multiplied more than anything else in my collection.

Did you say 500 S&W....

IMG-0607.jpg

IMG-0606.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
59 minutes ago, Danger Rane said:

Well you need .35 Remington, 32 Winchester Special, .375 Winchester, 444 Marlin…..

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

Well you need .35 Remington, 32 Winchester Special, .375 Winchester, 444 Marlin…..

22 mag, 218 Bee, 32-20, 7-30 Waters, 307 Winchester, 348 Winchester,  22 High Power, 303 Savage, 300 Savage, 250-3000, just to name a few.😁

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

It is definitely a rabbit hole to fall down. 

You have no idea!

I was lucky. When I acquired most of mine, you couldn’t give away a lever action rifle. Everyone wanted the latest whiz bang magnum bolt rifle. Deer were tough then.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 4
41 minutes ago, spurge said:

300 Savage is the way to go. Fell in love with it. 

I cannot name a more perfect whitetail rifle than a 99 Savage EG chambered in 300 Savage.

Maybe an R if you’re long range shooting over a field, or an F or T if you do a lot of walking or climbing, but the EG is the perfect all around whitetail rifle.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1

A savage 99 is on the list. I will probably try to stay in a caliber I already have (most likely 35 rem).  

i started with one Henry 22 and now have  7 Marlins, three Winchesters, plus a few other cool old rifles. I have sold the Henry as well as a Rossi, a Marlin and a Winchester. I guess since late 2021, I have bought 14 lever guns. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Snaveba said:

It is definitely a rabbit hole to fall down. 

looking back at the thread I started a couple years ago, I started with a Henry 22 and don’t even have it anymore. 

So it's my fault!!!??? I never should have sold you that Henry!

• Haha 2
11 hours ago, Snaveba said:

A savage 99 is on the list. I will probably try to stay in a caliber I already have (most likely 35 rem).  

i started with one Henry 22 and now have  7 Marlins, three Winchesters, plus a few other cool old rifles. I have sold the Henry as well as a Rossi, a Marlin and a Winchester. I guess since late 2021, I have bought 14 lever guns. 

Although the 99 Savage was chambered for a bunch of different cartridges, oddly, the 35 Rem was one they overlooked.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
20 hours ago, gregintenn said:

What are you gonna shoot with it? For general plinking, a 22 Long Rifle is my cartridge of choice. Low recoil, low noise, and low cost.  

45-70 is pricey cartridge unless you cast and handload. They also provide a considerably amount of recoil.

Lever rifles chambered for revolver cartridges are a good compromise, and you can then carry the same ammo for your rifle and sidearm, which is neat.

this is what i wanted to hear. i wanted to hear the pros and cons. With it being my first one i thought maybe i should try out a pistol cartridge first, but i am so "all in" with everything that i needed to hear this. Thank you and i think i am gonna go with maybe a 357 for my first one, but i saw that 500 s&w magnum and i got the twitch again LOL i think 357 would be a good place to start, do you know which brand would be my best bang for the buck and do you know if a 357 lever gun shoots 38 like a revolver or is that only in revolvers?

• Like 1