Reasons why someone should get a hand gun carry permit

icruz

Chances R, that is exactly why the Hamas terrorist were so successful in killing many and kidnapping 250 Israeli citizens. They were defenseless. Stupid idea to disarm any good citizens of any country. Them of all peoples, because their neighbors are all intent on killing every Jew, they see over thee.  It renders all to a total state of vulnerability against an opposing army, or for that matter, an criminal. 

Politicians, Sheese! 

Edited to Add; If one does not want to be vulnerable, get you a gun, and get the Permit! then Train, Train, Train, then "Train" some more. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Love 1

So you can carry legally across state lines.  I have had a permit for 25 years, I was going to Whitefish Montana, so I checked to see what states honored a Tenn. carry permit. I went through Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. Only Illinois did not.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, WFM said:

So you can carry legally across state lines.  I have had a permit for 25 years, I was going to Whitefish Montana, so I checked to see what states honored a Tenn. carry permit. I went through Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. Only Illinois did not.

Illinois...... "Land of Lincoln" and Barack Obama..............

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2023 at 8:44 PM, jeff43 said:

I think there should be MORE TRAINING to get a carry permit.There are too many idiots that have a TN .carry permit that DO NOT need one,don’t even know how to handle a handgun! Much less giving people the right to carry a handgun without a permit.That’s my rant. 

Training requirements are nothing more than a) cash grabs and b) a path for more regulation.

And by the way, it should very easy to prove your thesis:  WA (no training) vs. Or (training), AL vs. FL, AL vs. TN, AZ vs NM etc. etc.

Training Fudds are almost worse than OC Fudds.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

I like it simply for the reciprocity provides in other states. I also found it helpful in the class where they basically went though what was a justified shooting and what was not. 

That's some extremely important information that most people have no idea what constitutes legal use of deadly force

My son's friend wanted to learn how to ride a motorcycle about 10 years ago he comes to me because I ride motorcycles and I've known him forever would I help him find a motorcycle and show him how to ride told him I would show him how to find a good motorcycle and help him do it but only if he would take the motorcycle safety course because I knew they were things they were going to show him that I may have known but didn't think about telling him

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, spdfrk70 said:

That's some extremely important information that most people have no idea what constitutes legal use of deadly force

My son's friend wanted to learn how to ride a motorcycle about 10 years ago he comes to me because I ride motorcycles and I've known him forever would I help him find a motorcycle and show him how to ride told him I would show him how to find a good motorcycle and help him do it but only if he would take the motorcycle safety course because I knew they were things they were going to show him that I may have known but didn't think about telling him

Exactly! It has been so long ago that I took it that I cannot remember the exact example they used, but the summary was there are some situations where you may even find yourself legally justified with the use of force. However in those same situations, although you may not spend any jail time you are going to be bankrupted in civil court once they are done with you.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, ngodwetrust21 said:

Exactly! It has been so long ago that I took it that I cannot remember the exact example they used, but the summary was there are some situations where you may even find yourself legally justified with the use of force. However in those same situations, although you may not spend any jail time you are going to be bankrupted in civil court once they are done with you.

I've had some people ask me about types of firearms to use for concealed carry what to get started with etc

Mind you if you think someone's going to kill you a lot of this stuff after the fact won't mean much at the time but it sure is good to have a game plan something to go over in your head if it ever happens what to say what not to say if and when the police arrive

I would say a good concealed safety course or something similar to it even if you were not going to get a concealed carry license would sure be an eye opener to many people

I generally carry a five round revolver people will ask do you feel safe with five rounds and of course they would rather carry a 15 round 9 mm and maybe one or two extra magazines

My reasoning is I truly attempt not to get into a situation where I think I would need 45 rounds to get out of it and I have no idea what it's like to defend that in court unloading one or two full magazines vs say five rounds at 357

Edited by spdfrk70

The bad guy will pick the time and place and sometimes avoidance just doesn't work.  The state ECP course is a good start.  It is not a 'graduate' course.  Pistol craft is a continuing process.....you don't know what you don't know.  Will your 5 rounds be sufficient against 3 BGs?  Start with your state permit and continue your education and skill building

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, chances R said:

The bad guy will pick the time and place and sometimes avoidance just doesn't work.  The state ECP course is a good start.  It is not a 'graduate' course.  Pistol craft is a continuing process.....you don't know what you don't know.  Will your 5 rounds be sufficient against 3 BGs?  Start with your state permit and continue your education and skill building

That's an interesting point you make there I haven't thought much about more than one at a time

I need to do some research case study I guess because I've got a good compact 9 mm but I normally carry five rounds in the revolver I guess I just need to see court rulings court cases etc try to formulate some sort of opinion for myself

If a state honors our permit, would we be able to make a private handgun purchase? I ask because there is a pistol I want for sale by private owner in North Carolina that I cannot find anywhare else.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, papa61 said:

If a state honors our permit, would we be able to make a private handgun purchase? I ask because there is a pistol I want for sale by private owner in North Carolina that I cannot find anywhare else.

That's an interesting question I'm thinking no state to state is FFL regardless

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, papa61 said:

No.  Federal law is the rule and no out-of-state handgun sales directly.  Will have to do a transfer through a FFL.  Carry permit has no bearing in this case

• Like 2

I've got a question related to handgun carry permits 

I would think logically the answer would be no

Do you still have to pay $10 for a background check if you possess a current handgun carry permit

2 hours ago, spdfrk70 said:

Do you still have to pay $10 for a background check if you possess a current handgun carry permit

Yes unfortunately you do.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Jpoc700 said:

You know after thinking about it a bit further I suppose a card in your hand isn't really up to date on everything you may have been doing up to this day and making one I suppose is possible

• Like 1
2 hours ago, spdfrk70 said:

2 minutes ago, Jpoc700 said:

Background checks are only good for 30 days if I recall correctly. Then one is guilty until proven innocent again. Just an annoying under the table tax on one's rights.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, spdfrk70 said:

You know after thinking about it a bit further I suppose a card in your hand isn't really up to date on everything you may have been doing up to this day and making one I suppose is possible

IF the state keeps up with what they are supposed to do it is up to date. If a person is convicted of an offense rendering them ineligible for CCW permit, the state should revoke said permit. The current system of no intrastate sales is actually outdated. With the Federal criminal database, we should be able to purchase by mail from any FFL in any state, your local sherriff no longer need be the key. What brought me to pose the original question was to point out the hypocrisy of banning intrastate handgun sales. Obviously, private party sales are exempt from background checks as the assumption is we are responsible enough to have an idea of who we are selling to. If one state recognizes another's CCW permit, why does the fed deny sales? I'm sure that the recent USSC decisions and the coming battle between states and the DEA regarding marijuana rights will lead us to this. Sadly, I'll be pushin' up daisies by then.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2023 at 11:14 PM, chances R said:

You may possess a loaded handgun in your vehicle in Illinois.

I have a buddy that got his pistol taken court the whole 9 yards a few years ago, he had a Tn carry permit, so when did they change the law there? he was on the interstate and passing through.