Ontario knife company sold off and shut down

https://ontarioknife.com/

They say it’s sold and moved to Virginia no sign yet that they are back in business.

https://www.knifemagazine.com/ontario-knife-co-sold-56-employees-to-lose-jobs/

I hate to see American companies sold off and moved to China , not sure if that has happened to Ontario but I think it’s likely.

Camillus, Old Timer, Shrade and many more were closed and their name moved to China when you see them just know they aren’t the brands you knew years ago. 

Now I know some good knives are made coming from China, I even own a couple. I just wish we could keep some brands on American soil. 

Edited by TennesseeCamper
  • Admin Team

I guess Ontario was an “American company” in principle - but you’d have to stretch to really call It that.  To my knowledge pretty much every knife they made was outsourced to China years ago.

Now, there are some Chinese producers that are making decent production knives for cheap - and Ontario lost all their margin.

That's a game you’ll never win  

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I guess Ontario was an “American company” in principle - but you’d have to stretch to really call It that.  To my knowledge pretty much every knife they made was outsourced to China years ago.

Now, there are some Chinese producers that are making decent production knives for cheap - and Ontario lost all their margin.

That's a game you’ll never win  

Every Ontario I bought was US made.  They produced a lot of survival knives and bayonets for the military. The 56 employees they let go in New York probably felt they were working for an American Company. 
  Yes I do know all overseas production is cheaper and they pay their employees way less. 
I agree it’s hard to fight low margins and bigger profits from offshore manufacturing. 

We need to look in the mirror to understand what is wrong and why greed has closed so many good company's. As a people we want a "better" price on what we buy. "Value engineering" has and will be the down fall of "Made in America"!

I AM AS GUILTY AS THE NEXT MAN!

• Like 5
  • Admin Team
13 hours ago, TennesseeCamper said:

Every Ontario I bought was US made.  They produced a lot of survival knives and bayonets for the military. The 56 employees they let go in New York probably felt they were working for an American Company. 
  Yes I do know all overseas production is cheaper and they pay their employees way less. 
I agree it’s hard to fight low margins and bigger profits from offshore manufacturing. 

I should have been more clear in my statement above.

They manufactured the military contract knives here in the states.  I expect winding down the GWOT had an impact on those contracts - I could look them up I guess - but it's not worth it.  Like Colt and so many others - when you depend on the .gov for paying higher than normal processes for a product - you're likely going to have a hard time getting by when those contracts end.

Most of their folders went overseas years ago.  I remember specifically the outcry in the knife community when they got the rights to produce the RAT folders and did them in China.

It's a shame, I guess.  I hate it that those folks lost their jobs.  But - I can't find any tears for the company or the private equity folks who cashed out.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

They're moving from New York state to Virginia. Most likely due to NY's ridiculously high taxes.  I just don't see a down side there. 

I am not so sure about that. They weren’t bought by a manufacturer they were bought by an outdoor wholesaler. There is so far no evidence that they will reopen in Virginia. The employees packed up there tools on the last day and either found new jobs or went looking for employment. If they were actually moving the company wouldn’t they try to retain some of the employees?

• Admin Team
3 minutes ago, TennesseeCamper said:

I am not so sure about that. They weren’t bought by a manufacturer they were bought by an outdoor wholesaler. There is so far no evidence that they will reopen in Virginia. The employees packed up there tools on the last day and either found new jobs or went looking for employment. If they were actually moving the company wouldn’t they try to retain some of the employees?

Yeah, this actually took place this summer.  They didn't bring anyone over.

The group that bought them basically bought them for the name.  The new owners will leverage the fact that most people won't know or care that they're not the classic company.  They'll shift all of the manufacturing for whatever lines they keep overseas and "cut costs" to increase their return.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I should have been more clear in my statement above.

They manufactured the military contract knives here in the states.  I expect winding down the GWOT had an impact on those contracts - I could look them up I guess - but it's not worth it.  Like Colt and so many others - when you depend on the .gov for paying higher than normal processes for a product - you're likely going to have a hard time getting by when those contracts end.

Most of their folders went overseas years ago.  I remember specifically the outcry in the knife community when they got the rights to produce the RAT folders and did them in China.

It's a shame, I guess.  I hate it that those folks lost their jobs.  But - I can't find any tears for the company or the private equity folks who cashed out.

The rat 1 and 2 folders are made in Taiwan at least the blades were and they are darn good.

I regret never buying one of the M9 bayonets because they were US made and highly rated. 
I have the SP 10 marine raider and the massive SP53 chopper US made and bomb proof, the survival knife I have from the army. 
For anyone that  wants one of these there is some stock at different vendors but it is dwindling. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...