Shortages effect your shooting?

Guest hickok

Guest hickok

Grammar alert! Should be "affect"; I originally entitled the thread "shortages' effects" and then didn't change the spelling when I went from noun to verb. Yep, I'm the author of that New York Times Bestseller Good Grammar Can Be Romantic.

Wondering how other frequent shooters are being affected by the various ammunition and reloading supplies shortages.

Personally, I'm better stocked with Large Pistol primers and powders that I use with the larger calibers. Ironically, I find myself shooting more big bore stuff (.45 Colt, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, etc.). Even though it's more expensive, I have a better supply.

With small Pistol primers almost nonexistent, I'm more reluctant to shoot up too much of my 9mm stockpile, and anything associated with buying or reloading 9mm ammo seems in short supply.

I'm re-establishing my love affair with my cool .22 LR handguns and rifles, as well.

Just so happens that I have a huge supply of .45 Colt black Powder loads, too, so that's another area I'm focusing on for my shooting entertainment.

I shoot several times a week, often daily, so I might be more affected than many others.

Just glad I've stockpiled things I use the most of, even though I did get caught with my pants down on AA # 7. Found a quantity of that today, though.

Have you, too, adjusted your shooting habits?

Edited by hickok
Grammatical Brainlessness
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is definitely an issue for me. I have a certain level that I want to keep in reserve, and with some calibers, it's hard to maintain a sufficient reserve and shoot regularly also. A compromise is to shoot more common, affordable calibers for the time being.

the "shortage" is definitely affecting my shooting routine, i'm used to at the very least putting 300 or so (usually around 500) down range per week... lately, been lucky if i can come up with 50 - 150, and for those rounds i've been paying top dollar buying "at the range price$$$", stinks, and my skills have no doubt suffered, skipped shooting idpa this past weekend cause i was clear out of target loads.

the "shortage" (more like paranoid redneck panic imho... i'd bet for every five or so on here who is low or out, there's one or two with a stockpile they're getting ready to bury in their backyard...) is a myth, the ammo makers are surly some of the few and fortunate industries to be flourishing right now, and i'd bet my last dollar they've got all hands on deck, producing as fast as they can.

and now we've even got low-life jerks trolling the stores at the crack of dawn, buying all they can so they can sell it to their fellow enthusiasts for double...

has me thinking of getting into bows and arrows or freakin' airsoft for christ's sake!:)

Edited by CK1
I haven't been shooting in awhile. I have been practicing unloaded drills at home. That, and Duck Hunt.

duckhunt.gif

duck hunt rules! maybe we should start organizing some TGO lazer tag sessions down at the local family fun center?:D

Yes, the component shortage/price hike has slowed me down.

However, one good thing is that I haven't really had the time to go shooting anyway, so it doesn't hurt me too bad. Instead of taking 500-600 rounds to the range, now I only take 200-300. Also, in a normal year, I would have gone shooting at least a dozen times so far, but I've only been shooting twice sof far in 2009.

I am loading up quite a bit of .357, .44, and .38. I think I have more assembled cartridges on hand now than I eve have before. At least 500 rds each, more in .38 and .44. Before, my loading couldn't keep up with my shooting.

Yup... Slacked off a whole bunch. Need to get out and get some reloading components but I am hearing those are in short supply as well. :D

We've even canceled our spring Congregational shoot and are just going to have one in the fall. (Give members more time to buy ammo.)

Guest FroggyOne2

I have 13000 primers with another 20K on order. 16lbs of Varget and 7lbs of RL-15. 2600 bullets. VV N320 on order (would ship if the primers would get in) Just picked up 300 pcs of new Lapua 308 brass and I have 600 pcs of Lapua 6BR brass..

Guest FroggyOne2
I've got 6,500 small pistol primers, powder and no bullets. My bullet order is 6 weeks out and I'm almost out of factory 9mm. So unless I score some factory ammo I'll be taking a break from shooting matches.

Have you considered using lead?

Guest Astra900

I haven't felt the crunch yet, but I have taken preventive measures too. Most of my Semiauto rifles have been rotated to the back of the safe, and bolt actions have become my new (old) playthings again. It's funny how 50 rounds of .223 in my AR makes for a sad and quick outing, but in my bolt action, it makes for a perfect time.

If nothing good ever comes from the ammo problems; It should atleast make everyone's accuracy improve a bit, MAKE EACH ONE COUNT!

Heck yeah it has. No centerfire to be found in popular calibers. What is out there the prices are being gouged not only by store owners but our own "brothers" in the shooting industry. Typical greed taking control of basic humanity. Disgusting...

Right now not shooting any .308, .50 BMG at all. Shooting very little .223/5.56. I bought a .22 Ciener kit for my AR's so thats about the only time I shoot my AR's very much. Still shooting 9mm and .45 quite a bit. Not shooting .38 because it seems it is getting harder to find. I dont own a .380 but if i did you couldnt pay me to shoot it.

-Jason G

Thank GOD for .22 Rimfires! I have been shooting only .22 for several weeks now. The bad thing is that the "Zombie Killers" have now decided that the .22 LR is the round of choice for the Apocalypse and have glommed up all of the .22 LR ammo within 200 miles. I can't even get it from my normal internet suppliers! Looks like I'll run out in a week or two. Then I guess Dry Fire will be the routine. These hoarders are a bigger threat to my 2d A rights than the Anti-Gun lobby! Guns without ammo are just pretty pieces of inert metal. Take away ammo/take away guns: seems to have same effect to me. I refuse to buy ammo from a gouger-it is just feeding the flame.

I have been reloading for a while now. hardware and parts are still quite available accept for primers. I just paid double for mine but it's still cheaper then a few boxes of retial ammo. I do however keep 500 mf'd rounds of each cal I have but I haven't had to touch that in a while. I'm still workin the loads I made in december when it was too cold to shoot.

Its definitely curbed down on my shooting. . Ive got about 800 rounds of 7.62x39 and 350 or so of winclean 9mm target ammo and about 500 rounds of 9bple. . and other than taking my wife to let her become familiar with my p95 dc (maybe a hundred rounds of the win clean and and few 9bple (just so she can feel and hear the difference) Im sittin on the rest till this ammo deal blows over. .

Guest Halfpint
It's hurting me. Having a hard time getting ammo in bulk period. Even if I wanted to start reloading now, I can't find components.
We're in the same boat, dude.

And Kelly wants to deplete my stash of 9mm and .45 even more tonight.

It's okay, God and I love her even more for it. ;)

Switched out the big stuff for rim fired. A rick of .22 can take quite a while to shoot through a revolver and a single shot rifle!

I just went the other way on rimfire..already had 7 10 round mags for Ruger 10/22, just ordered three 25 rounders, too.

If I can't fire my larger calibers I'm gonna fire a bunch of smaller caliber to balance things out!

- OS