American Pride

Guest B J Elliott

Guest B J Elliott

3 head shots, three dead kidnappers, go Navy Seals. Gotta half way tip my hat to Obama who approved the operation. Restored a little lost American pride. JMHO. BJ GOOO NAVY!!!!:D

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obama approved? BULL! Notice there was not a word from Obamessiah until the operation went well. If something had gone wrong it would have all fallen on someone else.

Glenn

What would you want him to do? Announce to the world how he was going to have the Navy kill the pirates before it happened? :P

Or maybe he doesnt have to tell everyone what he is going to do before he ****ing does it.
What would you want him to do? Announce to the world how he was going to have the Navy kill the pirates before it happened? :P

I concur. He left it up to the Commander of the ship to engage if they felt the Captain's life was threatened. Hate Obama or not, but I think he made the right call on this one and I'm just glad the Captain gets to go home to his family and the pirates get to go 6 feet deep.

No. I believe he left it to the Navy Commanders 'discretion' and if all went ok, then Obama says "yeah, I approved that, them's my boys", but if it didn't go ok, then no 'dirt' on himself. That's how I read it from the way that it played out. The lengthy h-e-s-i-t-a-t-i-o-n spoke volumes about Obama's willingness to do anything.

This could have been over at least 48 hours sooner had he not had to contemplate the situation for so long. Let those who are trained to do so and who know what they are doing (not to mention actually being there on the scene) take care of the situation rather than arm-chair quarterbacking it from half-way around the world. This wasn't a threat of nuclear missiles from some renegade regime, it was four punk-ass terrorists and one hostage. The hostage Captain had more balls than Obama ever will and tried to expedite the anticipated outcome twice by diving overboard. Huzzah for him and the Navy SEAL snipers!

Guest JHatmaker

This just shows how freaking bad a$$ our snipers are. That was awesome!

I've got nothing but respect for the Navy SEALs, and I know this is cheesy, and nothing like reality, but the old 80's movie Navy SEALs is still one of my favorites, and anytime it's on TV I gotta stop and watch. Flame on, but it was just a cool a$$ movie when I was a kid....

Guest canynracer
No. I believe he left it to the Navy Commanders 'discretion' and if all went ok, then Obama says "yeah, I approved that, them's my boys", but if it didn't go ok, then no 'dirt' on himself. That's how I read it from the way that it played out. The lengthy h-e-s-i-t-a-t-i-o-n spoke volumes about Obama's willingness to do anything.

This could have been over at least 48 hours sooner had he not had to contemplate the situation for so long. Let those who are trained to do so and who know what they are doing (not to mention actually being there on the scene) take care of the situation rather than arm-chair quarterbacking it from half-way around the world. This wasn't a threat of nuclear missiles from some renegade regime, it was four punk-ass terrorists and one hostage. The hostage Captain had more balls than Obama ever will and tried to expedite the anticipated outcome twice by diving overboard. Huzzah for him and the Navy SEAL snipers!

hmmm....interesting choice of words....

I concur. He left it up to the Commander of the ship to engage if they felt the Captain's life was threatened. Hate Obama or not, but I think he made the right call on this one and I'm just glad the Captain gets to go home to his family and the pirates get to go 6 feet deep.

+1

hmmm....interesting choice of words....

was wondering how long it would take some ____ to zero in on that exact phrase. knew it would happen when I wrote it, just wondered who'd be the first.

Other countries and terrorists see Obama as a *****, and I have to agree with them.

So let's just go in guns blazing whenever anything happens. Someone takes a bank hostage, just send in SWAT right away and blast away. No sense in negotiating, only wastes time and makes you look like weak.

I don't like Obama, but in this case he did the right thing and made the right call even if you think it took too long. There is plenty to complain about with Obama without having to look for it and I think you're looking for it here, no better than all the Bush haters that found fault no matter what he did.

So let's just go in guns blazing whenever anything happens. Someone takes a bank hostage, just send in SWAT right away and blast away.

When police prepare for a drug bust raid in their town, they get the intel, prepare and engage based on the local authority of those there on the scene (police chief, captain, seargent etc.). They don't write a letter to the mayor, or Obama and wait around for his permission. They act. Locally. That's what they've been hired and given the authority to do.

My point was that I believe that the Navy ships on the scene already had enough authority to act from the beginning, but it seems as if they were over-ridden from someone a great distance away and put on hold, and then only after that someone finally realized what those on the scene already knew to be the case was the temporary stand-down order / handicap removed. My point is that I believe Obama didn't actually give the go-ahead, but finally removed the delay that he himself had caused that actually eliminated the obstacle to the local forces (Navy) from completing what they would have otherwise done earlier.

No sense in negotiating, only wastes time and makes you look like weak.

I'm sorry, you are right. I forgot. The policy has changed. We do negotiate with terrorists now.

I don't like Obama, but in this case he did the right thing and made the right call even if you think it took too long. There is plenty to complain about with Obama without having to look for it and I think you're looking for it here, no better than all the Bush haters that found fault no matter what he did.

Not where I was going dude, but I won't hide my disgust for a weak and spineless, not to mention naive Obama. Many of us said beforehand that this job required experience, not on-the-job-training at the possible expense of others. Fortunately the experience of the Navy covered his butt this time.

If you want to pick a fight with someone, pick someone else, because that's not what I'm here for.

When police prepare for a drug bust raid in their town, they get the intel, prepare and engage based on the local authority of those there on the scene (police chief, captain, seargent etc.). They don't write a letter to the mayor, or Obama and wait around for his permission. They act. Locally. That's what they've been hired and given the authority to do.

Well this wasn't a local incident.

My point was that I believe that the Navy ships on the scene already had enough authority to act from the beginning, but it seems as if they were over-ridden from someone a great distance away and put on hold, and then only after that someone finally realized what those on the scene already knew to be the case was the temporary stand-down order / handicap removed. My point is that I believe Obama didn't actually give the go-ahead, but finally removed the delay that he himself had caused that actually eliminated the obstacle to the local forces (Navy) from completing what they would have otherwise done earlier.

Any proof that the Navy had their authority removed and it wasn't standard procedure to not engage unless engaged upon?

Not where I was going dude, but I won't hide my disgust for a weak and spineless, not to mention naive Obama. Many of us said beforehand that this job required experience, not on-the-job-training at the possible expense of others. Fortunately the experience of the Navy covered his butt this time.

Define experience. I agree he has no real experience in leadership but I would bet most new presidents don't have experience in how to handle pirates. At least not in the last 100 years. :rolleyes:

If you want to pick a fight with someone, pick someone else, because that's not what I'm here for.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, simply disagreeing with you. I thought that was what these forums were for, discussion/debate/etc. Sorry if take offense to my contrary opinion. I'll try my best to agree with everything you say from now on.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, simply disagreeing with you. I thought that was what these forums were for, discussion/debate/etc. Sorry if take offense to my contrary opinion. I'll try my best to agree with everything you say from now on.

No offense taken. I myself disagree with you in this instance.

One area in particular - Negotiation.

Negotiate means to give and take. Offer, counter offer. One does not negotiate with terrorists. This isn't the customer complaint dept. and they aren't customers who've purchased a bad product. They crossed the line entirely when they attacked the ship, captured the crew and took hostages. They made their move, stated their intent and their intent was clear. Nothing to negotiate other than whether or not they wanted to continue living. That's it. You may see it differently, I don't.

No offense taken. I myself disagree with you in this instance.

One area in particular - Negotiation.

Negotiate means to give and take. Offer, counter offer. One does not negotiate with terrorists. This isn't the customer complaint dept. and they aren't customers who've purchased a bad product. They crossed the line entirely when they attacked the ship, captured the crew and took hostages. They made their move, stated their intent and their intent was clear. Nothing to negotiate other than whether or not they wanted to continue living. That's it. You may see it differently, I don't.

Well, that to me would be negotiating...let the captain go, surrender and continue breathing...keep going down this path and die, which ultimately they did. That kind of negotiating I can agree with, it lessens the chance of the captain dying if you can peacefully end the standoff. As for negotiating in the sense of paying them off to let the captain go, then I completely agree we can't do that.

Guest B J Elliott

It just don't matter, all's well. Why take a good positive thing and try to make a negative thing out of it for Pete's sake. Obama or no Obama, we as American's took the ole bull by the horn and took care of business for once, damn, LEAVE IT ALONE and enjoy!!! BJ