Governor Phil Bredesen Vetoes HB0962 (Restaurant Carry Bill)

Guest ColdEspresso

Guest HexHead
Again if you look at the quote I put in my previous post, Sen Jackson, who is the one who brought it up in the appropriate manor last time, will do it again, at the appropriate time, which is after the house finish's their veto vote, which should be next week. The House put that ball in motion today.

Let's not forget the Senate adjourned early on the day the House got the conference committee report, knowing they'd be voting on it. Delay #1.

It wasn't even put on the calender for the next Senate session, Delay #2.

IIRC, it still wasn't brought up at the next session, "for political necessity", possible Delay#3. I seem to recall we were told the timing of bringing up the bill was solely at Sen. Jackson's discretion. I call that sitting on it.

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj
R E S P E C T is something that is earned. Bredesen lost all claim to that today, overriding the overwhelming wishes of his constituents. It's not like this bill was a squeaker in the State House. It passed both houses by a 3:1 margin. He even admitted, according to the Twitter report, during his press conference today that the calls and mail to his office were overwhelming in support of this bill, urging him to sign it.

The only thing he deserves now is the lamest of duck status. He obviously threw his constituents under the bus to placate his liberal big money contributors for whatever plans he has next.

Reread my post, or at least this part "With all due respect for your position as the Governor of this state" The position. And I will go ahead and say that the rest of my post is very obvious in its intent.

Let's not forget the Senate adjourned early on the day the House got the conference committee report, knowing they'd be voting on it. Delay #1.

It wasn't even put on the calender for the next Senate session, Delay #2.

IIRC, it still wasn't brought up at the next session, "for political necessity", possible Delay#3. I seem to recall we were told the timing of bringing up the bill was solely at Sen. Jackson's discretion. I call that sitting on it.

What you assume are delays, might actually be strategy or things that happen behind that scenes that you and I know none of the details. From my limited discussions with a couple of the the players through phone conversations and email, the way this whole thing went down and that the way it went down was to be expected.

While I can appreciate your cynicism towards this process, you must remember this is actually new territory for all of use and we can't compare this to anything before, due to Naife's rule and these bills never coming out of committee.

Guest HexHead
Reread my post, or at least this part "With all due respect for your position as the Governor of this state" The position. And I will go ahead and say that the rest of my post is very obvious in its intent.

What you assume are delays, might actually be strategy or things that happen behind that scenes that you and I know none of the details. From my limited discussions with a couple of the the players through phone conversations and email, the way this whole thing went down and that the way it went down was to be expected.

While I can appreciate your cynicism towards this process, you must remember this is actually new territory for all of use and we can't compare this to anything before, due to Naife's rule and these bills never coming out of committee.

I'd feel a whole lot better about these strategies had they been played out a month or two ago, not when the session is supposed to have been adjourned by now. So when was the last veto override? I tried googling it and I came up with a budget override when Sundquist was Governor. So it's not like anyone there has much experience at this.

Guest db99wj
I'd feel a whole lot better about these strategies had they been played out a month or two ago, not when the session is supposed to have been adjourned by now. So when was the last veto override? I tried googling it and I came up with a budget override when Sundquist was Governor. So it's not like anyone there has much experience at this.

Rep Todd was thinking the same thing, the last one he remembers was when Sundquist was Gov. and didn't think that Bredesen had ever but wasn't 100%. He said if Bredesen had it wasn't on a major bill.

Guest HexHead
So the possible veto override is scheduled for ???

Good question. it's not scheduled yet. Let's say just for the sake of discussion it miraculously gets scheduled for Monday. Can we trust the Senate will actually stay in session until the House gets around to whatever calender it gets posted to. Message calender again? That'll be the end of the day.

So maybe the Senate gets it on Thursday, or the following week. No big deal right?

The Tennessean has really started the full court press to kill this veto override....

Now that Gov. Phil Bredesen has had his say, vetoing a wrongheaded gun bill that blew its way through the legislature this year, it is time for safety-minded Tennesseans to let their legislators have it with some fully loaded common sense.

Let the veto stand.

Bredesen admirably vetoed the shameful bill today that would allow people to carry guns into restaurants that serve alcohol as long as the gun-toter isn’t drinking. The veto was not a foregone conclusion. Bredesen has never exactly been hostile to the gun lobby. He made sure to be photographed with a firearm when he ran for the governor’s office to show his enthusiasm for hunting. So this governor can’t be branded as someone who’s interested in wiping out Second Amendment rights, as gun enthusiasts often claim of those who are simply concerned about safety.

The longer this lingers out there, the longer the Tennessean will be able to use their "bully pulpit" to try and screw us over. They want to mobilize their left wing loons, just like they got the Metro English only bill defeated and Obama won Davidson county. Time is our enemy, friends.

email sent to Jim Cooper

What has Jim Cooper got to do with this?

My 1st emails have been sent to my 2 legislators, who both voted against the bill.

Doug Henry and Sherry Jones both have to go! I would faint if they voted for the veto over-ride.

Guest jmac

The thing that pisses me off is one of Serpas' arguments against this bill. Here is his quote from the raw video footage:

Video - 5:57

"This legislation did not take into consideration the similarity in human behavior that we see in the mixture of alcohol and driving. Just in the last 12 months in Nashville, TN we have arrested 5000 people who chose to drive drunk, even though there is a law that say they can't drive drunk. I am sure it doesn't fall just on law enforcement the irony that this bill proposes the same proposition of human behavior that we see people day in and day out chose to not accept." - Ronal Serpas

Basically, since idiots chose to break the law and drive drunk, I am not responsible enough to eat safely with my gun and not drink. This is irresponsible and shameful logic.

Guest 3pugguy
Rep Curry Todd just gave me a call in response to my email I fired off right after the announcement and he said roughly this:

Don't email him, he knows, email your reps and Senators. They have filed it, should be heard and voted on next week, passed, sent to the Senate which he assumes they will do the same thing, it's just a delay, but they are still in session, which is key there is still time to handle the override. (The park bill might be veto'd and they will be out of session which will delay further).

Rep Todd asked me to pass this on. Very nice guy and a man of his word.

I also got a email back from Sen Doug Jackson

So it appears the house is doing what they need to do to get the override done and the Senate will follow once they are done...next week!

Thank you much for the update/info with a positive message.

Barry

Guest 3pugguy
I think criminals have more rights and get more respect than HCP holders do. The press makes us out as the bad guys.

Bob T

You are so right...

Good question. it's not scheduled yet. Let's say just for the sake of discussion it miraculously gets scheduled for Monday. Can we trust the Senate will actually stay in session until the House gets around to whatever calender it gets posted to. Message calender again? That'll be the end of the day.

So maybe the Senate gets it on Thursday, or the following week. No big deal right?

The Tennessean has really started the full court press to kill this veto override....

The longer this lingers out there, the longer the Tennessean will be able to use their "bully pulpit" to try and screw us over. They want to mobilize their left wing loons, just like they got the Metro English only bill defeated and Obama won Davidson county. Time is our enemy, friends.

HexHead, if you recall from the previous discussion, I pretty much agree with everything you've written. In one of my previous posts about this bill I said, "it still feels to me like someone is trying to cause a death by old age." I still feel that way. So, I understand your frustration. Our hope at this point is that the representatives that got this bill to where it is really do know what they are doing. It's going to be a nerve racking few days, but I'm going to try to withhold judgement until things are all said and done. I'd like to ask that you - and anyone else that shares the frustration - try and do the same. :shhh:

Guest Jamie

Anybody wanna go tell Fox17 in Nashville what they think of all this?

Here ya go:

Should People with Gun Permits be Allowed to Take Guns in Places that Serve Alcohol?

That's a direct link to WZTV's feedback question for tonight.

They heard they had the votes to override. Is this true?

Well in TN it only takes a simple majority to override a veto.

So really any bill that passes the legislature and makes it to the Governor's desk has enough votes to override if no one changes their vote.

I'm hoping that since this bill passed very large margins in both chambers there will be still be enough to override his veto even if some change their vote.

Anyone else see the problem with the moonbat Memphis Police Chief's statement?

Memphis Chief Larry Goodwin referred to two recent murders in Memphis where the alleged killers held handgun carry permits.

"In Memphis, we're keeping score. It's handgun permit holders two, unarmed citizens zero," he said.

So they haven't been convicted yet, but he's already convicted them in the media.. Scary guy..:D

Yea anyone wanna ask me why I'm in private security and not a Memphis cop? Anyone? Bueller?! THAT ****ING PIECE OF **** WITH THE MOUSTACHE!!!!!!!

i have but one thought on the matter. that son of a bitch.

Word.

WRITE YOUR REPRESENTATIVES!

I've already written my district represenative and state senator urging quick override of the Governor's veto. My emails explained that the assertion that "guns and alcohol don't mix" is sound, however misses the point of this legislation.

Handgun permit holders already know this and have demonstrated willingness to abide by the law ... something criminals have little regard for.

To simply imply that we handgun carriers will use this law to walk into a bar and drink is idiodic and insulting.

Write your representative! Do it today!

In the video of today's press conference, District Attorney General Tommy Thompson made some remarks, of which the following was part of what he said:

The people with permits, I know people with them. As District Attorney I've never carried a weapon. I've never had a permit. And the day when District Attorneys have to carry a weapon is the day we need to be living somewhere else. And that's the way I feel about all the people in positions of responsibility, law officers or anything else.

I wonder how many of those "law officers or anything else" standing behind him were carrying weapons as he spoke? I suppose this was one of Bredesen's advisors on gun policy. What he was talking about had nothing to do with the subject at hand but his true position on Handgun Carry in general slipped out on this one.