The audacity of this guy

So I got this email today from someone at Nissan. I will leave his name out and his info, but it really hacks me off. Here it is

"Good afternoon!

I’m working with several colleagues to plan a social event for a group of computer professionals at Nissan. This is a casual afternoon event, and because of the difficult economic times for Nissan, it has almost no budget. I did, many months ago, meet an entrepreneur starting a gourmet cupcake business, who, for certain events, provided complimentary cupcakes (along with a stack of business cards) for the publicity which those cakes would provide. Unfortunately, I don’t have her card now.

I’m wondering whether you would be interested in such an arrangement, and I’m shamelessly asking. We are expecting a maximum of 60 IT professionals working at Nissan in Cool Springs. The event will take place on 6/18.

Thank you for your consideration."

What do you all think I should respond to him with?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, it seems to be the trend in business to get others to pay for what you need. I think it spills over either from or too society in general. Think of how many youth organizations that you see on the streetcorners panhandling for donation for whatever purpose. When I was young, my parents would never dream of telling/allowing me to doing anything other than to get a job to acquire the funds to do whatever I wanted to do.

Perhaps you could ask him which of the 60+ IT pros will be setting up your home network, or a website for one of your companies (for which you will gladly distribute business cards to promote their services).

Perhaps you could ask him which of the 60+ IT pros will be setting up your home network, or a website for one of your companies (for which you will gladly distribute business cards to promote their services).

Wow, that is good. I might have to use that one.

Unfortunately, it seems to be the trend in business to get others to pay for what you need. I think it spills over either from or too society in general. Think of how many youth organizations that you see on the streetcorners panhandling for donation for whatever purpose. When I was young, my parents would never dream of telling/allowing me to doing anything other than to get a job to acquire the funds to do whatever I wanted to do.

Amen to this statement!!!!

Guest Tiny G

Reminds me of this video. People who work at places like Nissan do this kind of thing every day so they have no reason to think that actual consumer based businesses are any different.

I produce music for TV stations . . I've heard a lot of these lines before.

Edited by Tiny G
  • Administrator

Dear Sir;

Thank you for taking the time to email and inquire about our products. At my company, we too are feeling the pinch of the current economic climate so I empathize with your plight. However, just as Nissan could not expect to stay in business long if they were to give away cars, I cannot expect to stay in business long if I were to give away my products.

[ optionally insert a statement to the effect that you would offer them to him at a slightly discounted rate in exchange for him making your business cards available at this function, and mentioning that the refreshments were provided by your company ]

Then sign it Bob Lutz. :D

j/k

Wrangler, don't think the IT guy in question intends for you to bring Cupcakes, just some fruitcake. :D

The cupcakes have nothing to do with the event itself. Just very poor theme development in his story.

Working the the biz myself I would recommend all 60 of you go to the closest Happy Hour and have your "social" there. :D

• Administrator

PS: IT people irk the crap out of me, and I'm an IT person. Honestly I can't stand most of my peers in this industry because they often are socially inept and measure the size of their gender-specific organs based on how cutting edge they are with technologies that the rest of the world doesn't give a rip about.

These IT employees at Nissan are probably paid better than 90% of the industry professionals in similar jobs at other companies. I'd tell them to dig deep into their cheap-assed wallets and pay for their own food like everyone else does. :D

PS: IT people irk the crap out of me, and I'm an IT person. Honestly I can't stand most of my peers in this industry because they often are socially inept and measure the size of their gender-specific organs based on how cutting edge they are with technologies that the rest of the world doesn't give a rip about.

Precisely why it's best to get them out in public for a more informal "social" event than some sterile break-room. That'll cull the goobers mighty quick and if all goes well the dicsussion will steer away from the latest video games or how Bill Gates is the true dark lord of the universe. :ugh: