Official Thread for TN House / Senate Override of HB0962 Gubernatorial Veto

Guest HexHead

Guest .45packer

Welll Pilgrim, that'll teach me to come home from work and read the 'net news and jump in with the headlines before reading down a couple of posts, ooops......

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Selinium... I will be ROTFLMAO for days about that.

I wonder if someone at the gov. is looking over server stats and page requests and thinking "Heeeeeeeeey!!! This 'Selinium' thing really got some traction with the web viewers! WOW! Look at that spike!" ROFL!!!!

how the hell is this 44 pages long?
One word....Selinium......
:bowrofl:

With apologies to Mrs. Robinson.... :D

I just went back in my mind to something which was voiced in our esteemed former Speaker's speech before the vote. "The restaurant association doesn't want to choose between two sets of customers...." That is a large part of it, in a nutshell. For years, restaurateurs have had legal cover to say to HCP holders, "Hey, folks, not my fault...it is against the law." Now, they will have to put their money where their mouths are, so to speak. They can post, but that will lose business for them, and they know it. I suspect many will not post (we'll see); then, when nothing dangerous happens in those places and their business prospers, those who did post will see how much business they are losing and come around.

Not posting is really the best way to preserve business, and may even bring more business in. I've eaten mostly at Shoney's and Cracker Barrel for years, since they don't serve alcohol.

Edited by Falcon1
Guest happyman49

we all need to remember to send a thank you note to our represenatives who voted for the veto overide. I already sent mine to Rep. Faulkner

Guest macmonkey

The state House of Representatives has overridden Gov. Bredesen’s veto of the new law that makes it legal for gun owners with carry permits to bring their guns into restaurants and other places that serve alcohol.

The vote was 69-27.

Bredesen’s office immediately released a statement saying that he had expected an override.

“He’s disappointed with this action but that doesn't change his belief that we can exercise our Second Amendment rights and common sense at the same time,†spokeswoman Lydia Lenker says. “He believes guns and bars simply don't mix, and this legislation doesn’t provide the proper safeguards to ensure public safety. Governor Bredesen stands by his decision to veto the bill.â€

Bredesen had vetoed the bill flanked by law enforcement officials who said the new law would create more issues than it solved.

Some restaurateurs were also opposed to the bill, saying it would hurt business in an already struggling industry. Randy Rayburn, owner of Sunset Grill, posted a sign in his window earlier this week saying “No Guns Ever.â€

The state Senate is also expected to achieve a majority vote to override the governor’s veto, effectively making guns in restaurants legal.

Guest HexHead

Okay, so I know it's like kissing your sister, but if we just want the flavor, can we order something like an O"Doul's non-alcoholic beer with dinner? :bowrofl::D:shake:

Guest db99wj
we all need to remember to send a thank you note to our represenatives who voted for the veto overide. I already sent mine to Rep. Faulkner

Done. I have also sent one to Sen. Paul Stanley and Sen Doug Jackson!!!

House votes to override Bredesen's veto of guns-in-bars bill : Local News : Memphis Commercial Appeal

Good line from the Comical Appeal article

.With several House members who are current or former law enforcement officers standing alongside him, Todd said, "I can tell you now that there is a large majority of law enforcement officers in the rank and file, chiefs and sheriffs that support this bill. When you say 'all' that's a misrepresentation of those who came to get on the bandwagon and on TV up here.

Edited by bubbiesdad
Guest HexHead

I just sent a note to my Rep, thanked him for his support, for his always responding to my emails and ensured him he has my vote again at reelection.

I also asked him to support the inevitable parks bill override as well.

Guest bkelm18

I would say it's in the bank now. With the huge margin it passed in the senate previously, if it passed the house today, it'll pass the senate. Also if you'll notice, it passed the house with almost exactly the same vote breakdown as it passed the first time in April.

Guest benchpresspower
TN State House Votes To Override Bredesen Veto Of Guns In Bars Bill|myEyewitnessNews.com, Memphis News, Entertainment, Videos, Business Search and Shopping

If it becomes law, those with "carry permits" will be able to take their firearms into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol, which is now illegal in Tennessee and most other states.

Should we send a bombardment of emails actually showing these doofs which states DO allow it?

found this post over on the commercial appeal.

If you can not bring guns into an age restricted venue, those venues that allow smoking will be GUN FREE! Is that correct?

i guess that is true. but every restaurant in tennessee is smokefree anyway so that is a worthless observation as far as i am concerned.