Official Thread for TN House / Senate Override of HB0962 Gubernatorial Veto

Guest HexHead

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL i just got an email from Bredesen. i am sure its probably a form letter, but anyway, here is a paste of that. enjoy!

June 3, 2009

Dear Rob:

Thank you for contacting me about gun-related bills which have been considered by the General Assembly this year.

Let me be very clear: I am a strong supporter of the right to keep and bear arms. I am, and have always been, committed to preserving the rights of the Second Amendment. They are basic American rights, protected by the United States Constitution and the Tennessee Constitution as well. Even so, these rights, for more than two centuries, have come with reasonable and necessary rules and guidelines. For this reason, I carefully consider each bill that reaches my desk and evaluate it on its own merits.

As you know, I decided to veto House Bill 962, which would permit the possession of firearms in Tennessee restaurants and bars. In my view, this particular bill crossed the line of reason.

I have been a gun owner for more than 50 years. When I was a young man, I took my first gun safety class-sponsored by the NRA-at my high school. There was one message conveyed during that class that has been imprinted on me since, and it was this: guns and alcohol don't mix. That is as true today as it was then.

It is because of this principle that Tennessee state law has long prohibited the possession of firearms in places that serve alcohol. House Bill 962 would remove this safeguard in a manner that I, as well as many law enforcement officers, believe would be reckless and lacking safeguards to ensure public safety. A key role of government is to ensure public safety. To do that, government must strike a balance between the rights afforded to us by the Constitution and common-sense rules that must be applied to the exercise of these rights.

I believe we can exercise our second amendment rights and common sense at the same time - and guns and bars simply don't mix. Because of this, I vetoed this bill and respectfully asked the legislature to rethink this issue.

As other bills reach my desk-including legislation related to guns in parks, loaded firearms in automobiles, and others-I intend to review them carefully with both the Constitutional rights of gun owners and the safety of the general public in mind. Please be assured that your views are, and will remain, important to me on these issues and others related to state government.

Warmest regards,

Phil Bredesen

i saw somewhere that Bredesen has used his veto powers a total of 6 times while he has been in office. of the 6 (i do not know if this one is in that count) not counting this one, have any of them gone back to the house for an override vote of the veto and if so, what was the outcome? did they ever make it to the senate?

I second that.... wow, talk about silly stuff... I now understand why we have such screwed up firearms laws here in TN, those guys have to pass 20 bills a day to make themselves look busy... And the vast majority don't bother doing even the most basic research. IMHO

That's not true! One of them got on the internet and googled it during the debate before he spoke.:)

i saw somewhere that Bredesen has used his veto powers a total of 6 times while he has been in office. of the 6 (i do not know if this one is in that count) not counting this one, have any of them gone back to the house for an override vote of the veto and if so, what was the outcome? did they ever make it to the senate?

Previously in this same thread:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/tennessee-politics-legislation/22192-official-thread-tn-house-senate-override-hb0962-gubernatorial-veto-3.html#post290613

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest db99wj
with only two days worth of posts... most of those today.

Dave, the owner broke off the gynormous thread and made this one with only yesterday and today's worth of comments, then it exploded from there, mainly because of the amount of Selenium.

Guest .45packer

ONE DOWN AND ONE TO GO, THE SENATE PREVIOUSLY PASSED IT BY AN OVERWHELMING MAJORITY SO IT SHOULDN'T BE ANY PROBLEM.....