Ruger SR9

Guest ScottD

Guest ScottD

I was at my local gun shop yesterday, and had one of these catch my eye. It was the OD Green model, and was on sale due to the store having too many in backstock. The gun itself had a nice feel to it when I was looking @ it, and now I've started considering picking one up. Does anyone own one/have experience with one? Just looking for some comments on the handgun.

Side note: I know about the recall they had, but this is one of the post recall models.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GimpyLeg

I purchased one in Franklin back in March. I've sent ~500 rounds down range so far and I love it! It fits my hand great. Very acurate. There was a break-in period where it would occasionally FTE, but after 50 or so rounds it has eaten everything I have fed it, including mine and others reloads. I took the mag disconnect out so I can fire without a magazine. RugerForum.com :: View topic - SR9 How-To (Multiple Inside) Updated 4/5/09 W/ Video! has some good info on this procedure.

BTW, the wife and I are taking our HCP class this weekend!!!

Guest ScottD
I purchased one in Franklin back in March. I've sent ~500 rounds down range so far and I love it! It fits my hand great. Very acurate. There was a break-in period where it would occasionally FTE, but after 50 or so rounds it has eaten everything I have fed it, including mine and others reloads. I took the mag disconnect out so I can fire without a magazine. RugerForum.com :: View topic - SR9 How-To (Multiple Inside) Updated 4/5/09 W/ Video! has some good info on this procedure.

BTW, the wife and I are taking our HCP class this weekend!!!

Way to go! I really liked the way it fit my hand @ the gun store... A couple more positive comments and I may "pull the trigger" on this one.

Guest Risky Ruger

I have had mine since December 2007 and love it. My is the stainless with black. My buddy liked mine so weel he wnet and bought the all black. Do you remember what the sale price on the OD Green? You will enjoy the gun!!!

Guest ScottD
I have had mine since December 2007 and love it. My is the stainless with black. My buddy liked mine so weel he wnet and bought the all black. Do you remember what the sale price on the OD Green? You will enjoy the gun!!!

$450 was the sale price.

Don't have one but have shot one on several occasions, my range partner does. It is a fine gun and quite accurate. If you like the feel and have the itch I don't think you'll regret scratching it. My :popcorn: Let us know what you decide, and remember with no pics it didn't happen!

Another +1.

It isn't the mechanical accuracy that makes this gun so great. The gun points extremely easily and is one of the easiest I've used to rapidly reacquire a sight picture.

The slimness also makes it great for CC.

My brother-in-law just brought his SR9 up and I got to hold it and see it strip down. Great gun in terms of size, weight, and sight picture. Didn't shoot it, but he tells me that he has put 500 rounds through and it is a dream for the price. I'm putting my pennies together to pick one up now. People that hate Ruger even love this baby!

Guest GimpyLeg
You can do two things to immediately help the trigger. If it has a mag disconnect, remove it. Also, cut the last coil and a half or so off the striker spring; be careful to not take off too much. That will make it much better.

I never did the striker spring, but I did remove the mag disconnect and I have no issues with the trigger; then again, I don't have a very big arsenal to compare it to. I will say that it is as smooth as any other non-modified bang switch I've pulled.

From other forums and posts I read, some like it, some hate it but most of the time it smooths out with use.

I got my SR9 in March 09. First semi-auto. I started carrying it in a crossbreed holster. After a few adjustments, I hardly knew it was there. As far as firing, I have put 200 rounds or so through it with no problems.

Guest edge3343

I got the SR9 for Christmas last year and I have carried it just about everyday since and love it. I have put a couple of thousand rounds down range and never have a problem, the more I shoot it the better it shoots. It's a great gun for the money. I highly recommend it .

Guest 3pugguy
I was at my local gun shop yesterday, and had one of these catch my eye. It was the OD Green model, and was on sale due to the store having too many in backstock. The gun itself had a nice feel to it when I was looking @ it, and now I've started considering picking one up. Does anyone own one/have experience with one? Just looking for some comments on the handgun.

Side note: I know about the recall they had, but this is one of the post recall models.

I have an older model, P89, and it is a great gun. Years ago, had an old single action Ruger revolver and it was also great. Think you can't go wrong with a Ruger.

How can you dry fire it without the mag in it if it still has the mag disconnect safety?

- OS

I dunno. That's just what the nomenclature says; I haven't tried it, myself. That's always made me wonder about the usefulness of the mag disconnect.

I dunno. That's just what the nomenclature says; I haven't tried it, myself. That's always made me wonder about the usefulness of the mag disconnect.

Well, I don't like them at all , but they DO work.

Little push rod thing way down inside grip on my mighty Hi-Point; it ain't firing unless you push this in either with mag or with a pen or something, which is really tough to do while maintaining a firing grip on the gun.

- OS