Nashville bar owners plan to ban guns

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tennessee law does not distinguish between bars and restaurants. Hence, the HCP gun law that will take effect July 14 is for any establishment that serves alcohol to be consumed on-site. Therefore, it will not be illegal once the law takes effect for HCP holders to carry in either a bar or restaurant. The HCP holder cannot drink while carrying.

That is not entirely correct.

It is true that there is no legal definition of a bar in TN.

However the new law only allows carry with restaurants as defined in the new law. So if a place does not meet the requirements of that definition you still won't be able to carry in there.

Wow! That is one of the most liberal, biased pieces of propaganda I have ever read. I love it how in all these recent articles, they find some “Pro-Second Amendment†guy who claims to own guns and then states how it is a bad idea to carry a handgun and/or only the police should, etc. It is a reoccurring theme. I honestly think Joseph Goebbels could not have written a better article; I’m sure he would be proud of it.

<O:p</O:p

But like y’all have said, it is about money and lawsuits. At the end of the day, leave to the lawyers to screw it up.

That is not entirely correct.

It is true that there is no legal definition of a bar in TN.

However the new law only allows carry with restaurants as defined in the new law. So if a place does not meet the requirements of that definition you still won't be able to carry in there.

Ops. I missed that change to the bill. Can you point me or quote the restriction that is limited to restaurants?

Ops. I missed that change to the bill. Can you point me or quote the restriction that is limited to restaurants?

See here

The new 39-17-1305©(3)(A) exempts those with a HCP if they are not consuming and are within the confines of a restaurant.

The new 39-17-1305©(3)(:) defines a restaurant for the purposes of 39-17-1305©(3)

Edited by Fallguy
See here

The new 39-17-1305©(3)(A) exempts those with a HCP if they are not consuming and are within the confines of a restaurant.

The new 39-17-1305©(3)(:D defines a restaurant for the purposes of 39-17-1305©(3)

Thank you FallGuy. So HCP holders cannot go to a bar unless the "bar" meets the definition of a restaurant shown below.

Senate Judiciary Committee 1

Amendment No. 1 to SB1127

Beavers

Signature of Sponsor

AMEND S e nate Bill No. 1127 House Bill No. 962*

SA0204

-1-

by deleting all language following the enacting clause and substituting instead the following:

SECTION 1. Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 39-17-1305©, is amended by

adding the following language as a new, appropriately designated subdivision:

(3)

(A) Authorized to carry a firearm under § 39-17-1351 who is not consuming beer, wine or any alcoholic beverage, and is within the confines of a restaurant that is open to the public and serves alcoholic beverages, wine or beer.

(

:cool: As used in this subdivision ©(3), “restaurant†means any public place kept, used, maintained, advertised and held out to the public as a place where meals are served and where meals are actually and regularly served, such place being provided with adequate and sanitary kitchen and dining room equipment, having employed therein a sufficient number and kind of employees to prepare, cook and serve suitable food for its guests. At least one (1) meal per day shall be served at least five (5) days a week, with the exception of holidays, vacations and periods of redecorating, and the serving of such meals shall be the principal business conducted.

I do not mind if bars post. By that I mean an establishment that is primarily supported on liquor/beer/wine sales. I am not for carrying into a bar personally unless working there as staff or a musician. I do mind if restaurants post just because they have a bar area.

+100, but I got blasted repeatedly for saying basically the same thing on another thread...

Thank you FallGuy. So HCP holders cannot go to a bar unless the "bar" meets the definition of a restaurant shown below.

Keep in mind that virtually all of these "bars" that serve liquor have a state issued 'restaurant liquor license' which means if they are open 5+ days a week they meet the requirements under the new law. The state ABC has verified all other conditions required under the bill for you.

We have to watch places that only serve beer.

Like I said before I have no intention of going to an actual "BAR" and carrying because I go to a bar to drink...not sit around...so that part of the bill is fine by me and I could care less if the establishment wants to post. Also...make sure you vote in that poll people...we are still getting thumped.

Guest benchpresspower

Regardless of legal/non legal posting, they've made their point and my money will be spent elsewhere. All a sign says to me is that "Yes, we want your money, but we don't give a damn about your safety."