Sen. Boxer to Brigadier General: 'Could you say 'senator' instead of 'ma'am?'

Guest stovepipe

Guest TackleberryTom
This video really pisses me off to no end. She didnt "work" for the title, she was voted into the position, even if it was by the idiots in California.

+1

I would have been kicked out of there!! He was probably the only person in that room who has worked hard for anything!! Although I am sure that she has probably "worked" on something hard!! to get where she is! I am not one bit surprised, just disgusted.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest redbarron06
Amazing... She's worked so hard

Yea, and the last time I checked, those stars on his shoulders dont come in the gumball machines at Walmart.

Guest stovepipe

Got this reply from Ms. Boxer. I guess this makes everything better...

Dear Mr. Stovepipe:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent Senate hearing with Brigadier General Michael Walsh. I appreciate hearing from you on this matter.

Shortly after the hearing, I called General Walsh, and we had a friendly and productive conversation. We expressed our respect for one another and our determination to work together to protect our nation and communities from natural disasters.

Thank you again for writing to me. Please feel free to contact me in the future about this or any other issue of concern to you.

Barbara Boxer

United States Senator

Guest mustangdave
Got this reply from Ms. Boxer. I guess this makes everything better...

Dear Mr. Stovepipe:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent Senate hearing with Brigadier General Michael Walsh. I appreciate hearing from you on this matter.

Shortly after the hearing, I called General Walsh, and we had a friendly and productive conversation. We expressed our respect for one another and our determination to work together to protect our nation and communities from natural disasters.

Thank you again for writing to me. Please feel free to contact me in the future about this or any other issue of concern to you.

Barbara Boxer

United States Senator

I'll be damned...i got the same FORM letter in my email this after noon

I will withhold my judgment until I see more of the hearing. If the General was being questioned by different Senator's and if the General was responding to the male Senator's by their title, however when it came to a female Senator he started calling her ma'am, then I can agree with Senator Boxer's needing to correct the General.

I do not see all job titles as earned. In general, I believe that once you get into management titles or no longer grunt titles, it is political how you earned that title. Be it in the government, military or private sector.

I will withhold my judgment until I see more of the hearing. If the General was being questioned by different Senator's and if the General was responding to the male Senator's by their title, however when it came to a female Senator he started calling her ma'am, then I can agree with Senator Boxer's needing to correct the General.

I do not see all job titles as earned. In general, I believe that once you get into management titles or no longer grunt titles, it is political how you earned that title. Be it in the government, military or private sector.

I guarantee he called them Sir during his statements. In the Army you rarely address an officer by their title in conversation. Even the greeting of the day is Morning Sir/Morning Ma'am. I think she's just a bitch.

I very seriously doubt a General would be using anything other than sir or ma'am to address the senators.

According to the talking heads, in the military, you address subordinates by title and you address superiors as Sir or Ma'am.

YouTube - Barbara Boxer Shows Her Arogance,Call Me Senator Not Ma'am

The reference to Condoleezza Rice from the above video is below:

To see part of the video with Barbara Boxer & Condoleezza Rice is shown below. It cuts off at the end so I am not sure how much more there is to the exchange.

Guest redbarron06
According to the talking heads, in the military, you address subordinates by title and you address superiors as Sir or Ma'am.

Not nessassarly. You address a rank by the rank. When it comes to an officer you refer to him as rank and name but when in a conversation most ofter the junior will answer questions with sir or ma'am.

For example I am a Staff Seargent. I am simply refer to as seargent. It does not matter if it is a captian or a private they will refert to me as Sergent Smith. When we converse they will say yes or no sergeant. Now when I speak to an officer such as my commander, I will call them by rank and name "Captitan Smith, I have a question" Ask my question and when he askes me if I know where the chow hall is I can reply "Yes sir" or "Yes captian. Either is correct but most of the time people use the word "sir" or "ma'am" because it is faster.

Boxer is upset because Ma'am is gender specific and she does not like to be remimded that she is female. You see, she suffers from penis envy. :lol:

Not nessassarly. You address a rank by the rank. When it comes to an officer you refer to him as rank and name but when in a conversation most ofter the junior will answer questions with sir or ma'am.

For example I am a Staff Seargent. I am simply refer to as seargent. It does not matter if it is a captian or a private they will refert to me as Sergent Smith. When we converse they will say yes or no sergeant. Now when I speak to an officer such as my commander, I will call them by rank and name "Captitan Smith, I have a question" Ask my question and when he askes me if I know where the chow hall is I can reply "Yes sir" or "Yes captian. Either is correct but most of the time people use the word "sir" or "ma'am" because it is faster.

Boxer is upset because Ma'am is gender specific and she does not like to be remimded that she is female. You see, she suffers from penis envy. :shake:

You got it. The General would address her as Senator at beginning of conversation or if re-opening a conversation. Thereafter Ma'am or Sir is appropriate. I always referred to all Officers ,male and female, as Sir. This is also appropriate.

BTW in the Marine Corps, the only persons called Sergeant are SGT E-5s. Everybody else is referred to by their full rank. I always accepted "Top" or "Super Guns" as respectful. Call a Gunnery Sergeant anything but "Gunny" and you will get this lecture in detail, even if you are a Brigadier General! The Corps is very sensitive to the fact that rank is important to Officer and Enlisted and is to be respected for the responsibilities attached.

I broke an Army Captain at Fort Bliss of calling me Sergeant by calling him "Mister" all the time. He eventually stopped calling me "Sergeant" and started calling me "Master Gunny."

Master Gunnery Sergeant of Marines

Edited by wjh2657
Guest mustangdave

SUPER GUNS...I like that one. Probably would've never used it in an office or professional setting...but in a bar in the PI...you bet. I was just your above average PO2.

Guest KevinM

Could we maybe simply judge her on her fruits and not make assertions that people in the military are inherently superior to those that are not? There is plenty to dislike about the woman besides the fact that she is a lowly 'civilian"...

You got it. The General would address her as Senator at beginning of conversation or if re-opening a conversation. Thereafter Ma'am or Sir is appropriate. I always referred to all Officers ,male and female, as Sir. This is also appropriate.

BTW in the Marine Corps, the only persons called Sergeant are SGT E-5s. Everybody else is referred to by their full rank. I always accepted "Top" or "Super Guns" as respectful. Call a Gunnery Sergeant anything but "Gunny" and you will get this lecture in detail, even if you are a Brigadier General! The Corps is very sensitive to the fact that rank is important to Officer and Enlisted and is to be respected for the responsibilities attached.

I broke an Army Captain at Fort Bliss of calling me Sergeant by calling him "Mister" all the time. He eventually stopped calling me "Sergeant" and started calling me "Master Gunny."

Master Gunnery Sergeant of Marines

I disagree with this generalization in the Marine Corps. When I was in the Corps, (1982-1986), it seemed to work only one way in my battery. E-5's a Staff NCO's referred to those junior in rank by their last name only, (which I view as disrespectful to this day). I got all of my promotions meritoriously, (with the exception of PFC out of bootcamp), yet my Staff NCO's continued to call me Jewell rather than Corporal Jewell. I finally asked my First Sergeant how I was expected to command respect for my rank by my juniors when my seniors couldn't show respect for my rank. He agreed, and from then on addressed me with my rank. It was after this that the rest of the Staff NCO's changed too. Is it possible that my battery was the exception in the entire Marine Corps? Yes, but it certainly wasn't probable.

Could we maybe simply judge her on her fruits and not make assertions that people in the military are inherently superior to those that are not? There is plenty to dislike about the woman besides the fact that she is a lowly 'civilian"...

And just what "fruits" would that be? :shake: