Carry ammo for a snub nose.

Guest m&pc9

Guest m&pc9

Well I finally got to the range with my 442 that I got off of Rightwinger. I shot a box of range ammo and I shot Remington golden saber JHP 125 gr +p. The problem is the +p had about 1ft round circle of fire at the end of the barrel. If I was to use it at night I would be blinded and the BG would think I had a flame thrower.

What would be a good ammo for the snubby.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest m&pc9
I'm carrying Hornady Critical Defense, 110 grain +P. Accurate out of my 642, no major muzzle flash. Have also shot Speer Gold Dots, they performed really well also.

I was wondering if it was the +p that made the muzzle flash. I saw on some web site that the short barrel didnt give the powder enough time to burn up. So I was thinking I might have to do away with +p

Buffalo Bore also makes some .38 spcl ammo for short barrel pistols,I keep my wifes Charter Arms Pink Lady loaded with it,Its a reduced load with a good hollowpoint,seems to shoot pretty well too.Made specifically for in home defense.Midway carries it when they are not out of stock.:)

Out of my Ruger 2 1/4" barrel, there is quite a bit LESS flash with Golden Saber .357 or .38 +p than with target ammo.

Also, a huge diff in my XD 9 SC (3" barrel) between 9mm Golden Sabre +p and cheap ball ammo.

You're saying the GS +p is a BIGGER flash than the range ammo, though, eh?

- OS

Guest Muttling

I love .357's but can't stand to fire more than 4 rounds without hearing protection (it's like a spike being driven in your ear.)

My home defense philosophy is simple, (1) if I hit with the first round from a .357 the second doesn't make a whole lot of difference unless the second guy is willing to crawl over the body of the first to get to me and (2) the noise/flash is going to be a LOT worse on the muzzle side of the weapon so he's getting it worse than me.

It's not a perfect solution, but I don't get too worked up about flash/noise.

For the record, I run Corbon 125 grains in my .357 snub.

Guest m&pc9
Out of my Ruger 2 1/4" barrel, there is quite a bit LESS flash with Golden Saber .357 or .38 +p than with target ammo.

Also, a huge diff in my XD 9 SC (3" barrel) between 9mm Golden Sabre +p and cheap ball ammo.

You're saying the GS +p is a BIGGER flash than the range ammo, though, eh?

- OS

Yes the golden saber is about a foot around the barrel.

Guest mikedwood

I would just use regular Gold Dot 158. I just can't get into all that +P stuff. This gun will handle it, that gun won't.

Guest Todd@CIS

My .38Spec recommendations.

1. Speer 135gr+P Gold Dot. Top performance for those not bothered by the recoil. Superior to the 125gr+P version.

2. Hornady 158gr XTP. Not the top performer by a stretch, but you do get a heavy, standard pressure JHP with less recoil than #1.

3. 148gr Wadcutter, various brands. Again, not the top of performance, but you get very low recoil and the flat meplat is said to have more wounding ability than a FMJ (by people more knowledgeable than me).

I have no personal experience with CorBon DPX, but the testing that I've seen looks great.

I have no personal experience with Hornady Critical Defense and I haven't seen much 3rd party testing of it.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest m&pc9

I will try to find some Speer 135 gr +p and try them next.

Does anyone know where to get some in K-town. (Ammo you sick perv.)

How about CCA

2. Hornady 158gr XTP. Not the top performer by a stretch, but you get a heavy, standard pressure JHP with less recoil than #1...

I keep these in old Charter Undercover .38 that I didn't want to run +p in, and they seem to do nicely. One of the few non +p JHP rounds still to be found.

- OS

I have tested most of these rounds in water to check penetration, expansion, fragmentation, but did not evaluate muzzle flash or accuracy. The Remington Golden Saber you mentioned did very, very well in the ballistics, along with Speer Gold Dots. The Gold Dots I tried were not the short barrel version, and I may try to test some of those in the future if they make it in .38 +P. The Buffalo Bore LSWCHP +P did something strange and the whole section that mushroomed simply sheared off, turning the bullet into an under-sized non-hollow-point center section (cylinder) that went very, very deep, but was very light and little. The Hornady Critical Defense is one of the finest looking and most consistent mushrooms, just as advertised, but it is a little bit on the small size when expanded. The very best, as far as penetration and expansion that I have tested so far is the new bonded Winchester PDX1 +P. Ask around, but it may advertise something about having less flash...I'm not sure. You might pick up a box of that and see how the flash compares to the Golden Saber...I am carrying Golden Saber in several other guns, but in my snubbie .38 I carry the Winchester bonded PDX1 +P. Later, B

3. 148gr Wadcutter, various brands. Again, not the top of performance, but you get very low recoil and the flat meplat is said to have more wounding ability than a FMJ (by people more knowledgeable than me).

All 3 are good suggestions, imho.

The P-DEWC is my choice in .38 ammo. Jim Cirillo was a strong proponent of this type of round. Fuzzy Fletcher used to produce Safestop rounds based on the Cirillo concept.

The sharp cutting edge of certain Plated DEWC should cut relatively cleanly vs pushing aside elastic human tissues.

Cirillo wrote they were less apt to "skid" off the skull during headshots. That the sharp edge wound gain purchase and allow penetration.

I've seen folks that had RNL .38's skid off their noggin, so I'm a believer here.

The low recoil allows for fast and accurate followup shots.

Rapid and accurate repeated placement into vital organs are always a sound goal. :tough:

They shoot well in my J Frame, and hopefully, they'll do if I'll do.

I'm carrying Hornady Critical Defense, 110 grain +P. Accurate out of my 642, no major muzzle flash. Have also shot Speer Gold Dots, they performed really well also.

What kind of penetration and expansion are you getting from those?

Guest m&pc9

I found some Gold Dot 135gr. +p for short barrels today. I shot some and it has a very small muzzle flash, maybe 1 inch around the barrel. It is my carry load in the snub nose now. Thanks for your help guys.