Opinions needed. XD .40 vs S&W M&P

THE COOP

So as my quest continues for a .40 call full size I found and held a used XD 40 today and the price was right, then I held a used S&W M&P and did it feel/fit me nice and it was only $50 more, I've got an offer on my P345 for what I wanted out of it just would like some advice from other members on which is a better and more accurate gun? As always thanks for the help!!!! COOP

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to decide between the two drove me nuts one day and most likely strecthed the patience of the gun store guy. The M&P is a far better looking gun, but the XD really fit my hand just a little bit better.

I bought neither as there are other choices out there. That and I don't need another pistol! :lol:

I've had two XD9's and a M&P9 and they are both great guns. I prefer the M&P due to a better trigger reset, lower bore axis, and carries better. The M&P is a slimmer profile and the backstraps are a nice touch. You can get the back straps on the XD but the XDm is significantly bigger in carry terms than the M&P. You can't go wrong either way, but due to the ergo's, lower bore axis, and trigger I'd go M&P.

Wow, TDR, fine points you make there! :lol:

I just really think that both are fine guns of basically the same platform. (except the Smith doesn't have a backstrap safety, and I think that the XD is the only one of the two with an indicator for the striker position) There were sme reports that te early M&Ps were having some feeding problems, but that seems to have been cleared up. My guess is that they will both have similar and excellent functioning characteristics. This leads us back to the same old thing. Buy whatever you want, and screw what everybody else says. It's your gun and you're the only one that has to live with it.

Hope you buy the one you like the best! :)

I'm biased. I love the M&P. Anything I saw will skew heavily toward the Smith, though I think the XD is a fine gun and probably just as reliable or accurate. I just likes me my Smiths!
I'm biased. I love the XD. Anything I saw will skew heavily toward the XD, though I think the M&P is a fine gun and probably just as reliable or accurate. I just likes me my XD! :lol:

You guys ain't right. LOL..

Anyway I owned a XD40SC, bought as M&P40c, I liked the M&P so much I sold my XD. XD was a good gun but I liked the feel of the M&P better.

I like my M&P better primarily because the interchangeable backstrap and the trigger pull. Not a nickle's worth of difference in reliabilty or accuracy. It's just which one feels the best to me?

One other caveate, XD's do have many more accessory choices than the M&P's right now.

I have both in their respective 9mm 5" versions. In fit, form, and function, they are virtually identical.

However, there are a few minute differences:

1. While the XD is lighter by about 1.5 ounces, it seems a bit more top heavy.

2. The grips on the XD are flatter on the sides, making them slightly more "block-ish" feeling.

3. The changeable backstrap on the M&P is a nice feature, but for the average person, the medium will fit well, and you'll never change it.

4. Magazines for the XD are cheaper and easier to get. Once SW catches up with production on their mags, this will probably become a non-issue.

5. Personally, I find the serrations on the M&P far easier to grip for a very quick slingshot. I have heard other people say they hate the M&P serrations.

This are all very little things that truly have no bearing on one being better than the other. I currently shoot my XD in competition, and I have roughly 6-7000 rounds through it since November. The only time I've had any failures with it has been when it's not been cleaned or lubed after multiple long (500+ round) practice sessions. (Oh, and when the aftermarket front site fell off after being poorly installed by a friend). I only have about 1500 rounds through my M&P since Christmas, and it's never failed.

Mac

Guest 3pugguy
So as my quest continues for a .40 call full size I found and held a used XD 40 today and the price was right, then I held a used S&W M&P and did it feel/fit me nice and it was only $50 more, I've got an offer on my P345 for what I wanted out of it just would like some advice from other members on which is a better and more accurate gun? As always thanks for the help!!!! COOP

Forget it and get yourself a Glock...just kidding.

What a dilema, as both choices are great guns!

Guess you'll have to buy both to save your sanity.:rolleyes:

Thanx everyone on your views and expierance with these guns, now I'm even more confused!!!! LOL Buyer for my Ruger will be coming over in the afternoon to pick it up and then I'm going back to the gun store and hold both (AGAIN) look them over really good and probably buy the XD!!! Funny thing when I was there earlier and I brought both my guns to spend some time on the range I was shooting the Ruger much better today and started to have 2nd thoughts about selling it, I hate it when that happens!!!!! COOP

Guest ScottD

I'm biased. I love the M&P. Anything I saw will skew heavily toward the Smith, though I think the XD is a fine gun and probably just as reliable or accurate. I just likes me my Smiths!

I found and held a used XD 40 today and the price was right, then I held a used S&W M&P and did it feel/fit me nice and it was only $50 more,

I prefer the M&P over the XD.

Shoot a PM to Joe at Hero Gear and see if the price is still $50 more. I bought two new from him for less than some are trying to get for used.

Guest samurrocket

I have had the same debate over the XD and the M&P. I rented both guns at the range and fired 50 rounds thru both to make a decision. I decided on the M&P. I also found out while at the range that if you purchase the M&P 40 that you can also buy a M&P 9mm barrel and shoot a little cheaper because the 9mm barrel fits the 40 but not the other way around:D

Just my $.02

Guest m&pc9

I own a M&P 9 full size and compact and a compact 40. And I love all three. You will not be disappointed with the M&P. And S&W has a great customer service.

Guest canynracer

I own the 40c, I LOVE it...change the feel of the gun, no dry fire to take it down, accurate, and 11 rounds...one mag flat bottom, one with pinky ext... and you can get it with a thumb safety if you so choose.