Kel Tec P-3AT for a BUG

krunchnik

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I been thinking about a little 380 also and I really like the little Ruger but I think they cost more? They did a comparison on all the little 380's in this months American Handgunner, you might want to pick the mag up and take a look!!! COOP

Guest bkelm18

.380 isn't my first choice for defense, but if your main piece runs out or jams, a .380 in the pocket is better than a paperweight in the hand.

It wouldn't be the gun of choice to take to a pre-arranged fight (no handgun would) but for an extremely concealable and lightweight firearm in a decent caliber, you can't beat it IMO.

It's last ditch, all stops pulled out time when you go to it. Suarez calls it an "air bag" and I think that's a pretty good description.

Guest eyebedam

I carry the Ruger LCP as a summer pocket gun & sometimes as a bug. Great little gun fits right in the pocket with a desantis superfly pocket holster. I like it a whole lot more than the Kel-tecs. Fit & finish & overall looks are a world of differance especially for about 30.00 diff in price.

Guest Bluemax
.380 isn't my first choice for defense, but if your main piece runs out or jams, a .380 in the pocket is better than a paperweight in the hand.

Your preaching to the choir brother, I have several better options to carry than the P3AT but it's so easy to slip into the pocket of your shorts when you are just tooling around. The arguement about calibers will go on and on but a 380 in your pocket beats a 357 at home in the safe any day

• Admin Team

A little bit more expensive than the P3AT, but I've been really happy with the Micro Eagle. Any 380 has limitations, but it fits in well as a bug or in more formal social situations where you can't carry a full size piece. At 145 lbs it still disappears in the back pocket of my jeans with a Meco pocket holster.

I know this isn't going to be popular, but within the past 12 months I've become convinced that .380 is not adequate as either primary carry or as a BUG. I sold my P3AT about 3 months ago and bought a S&W 442. Yes, .380 can kill, and it has, but it is not a man-stopper. My objective in a SD situation is to stop the threat, and I do not believe that the .380 is capable of doing that with any reliability. I won't carry anything less than a service caliber weapon.

I refuse to sacrifice my safety for convenience.

Edited by DaddyO
A little bit more expensive than the P3AT, but I've been really happy with the Micro Eagle. Any 380 has limitations, but it fits in well as a bug or in more formal social situations where you can't carry a full size piece. At 145 lbs it still disappears in the back pocket of my jeans with a Meco pocket holster.
I knew those Micro Eagles were heavier than a polymer gun, but just wow!

- OS

Must be some strong thread holding that pocket on. What kind of belt to you think a fella would need to keep those pants up?

• Admin Team
Must be some strong thread holding that pocket on. What kind of belt to you think a fella would need to keep those pants up?

I have to use one of those ratchet straps they use to hold stuff on trailers. Took some getting used to, but my pants don't budge an inch. :)

Guest 3pugguy
Does anyone in the forums use a Kel tec P3AT for a BUG,if you do,how well or not well do you like it,any opinions?

0025.jpg

I have a P32 and as the OP wrote, it could be called a BUG, but is really one step better than a blade. I went with it due the plentiful 32 hardball (P32 doesn't like JHP). I have the larger mag, for a 10 + 1 capacity and it still fits in pants pocket (Nemesis holster) and disappears in a cargo pant pocket (but I can almost fit my Glock 19 in some of my cargo pants).

I had read about a "fluff and buff" and asked the guy at TN Gun Country in Clarksville where I bought it if he did it on his P32 and he said no. I stripped it down (easy to diassemble/keep clean - here is a good video someone put up: YouTube - Kel-Tec P-32 Field Strip) and it looked pretty smooth and so I did not do a fluff and buff.

Have a few hundred rounds thru it, no problems. Good little gun for its intended purpose and think it will serve you as well as its bigger brother.

Barry

Guest 3pugguy
I know this isn't going to be popular, but within the past 12 months I've become convinced that .380 is not adequate as either primary carry or as a BUG. I sold my P3AT about 3 months ago and bought a S&W 442. Yes, .380 can kill, and it has, but it is not a man-stopper. My objective in a SD situation is to stop the threat, and I do not believe that the .380 is capable of doing that with any reliability. I won't carry anything less than a service caliber weapon.

I refuse to sacrifice my safety for convenience.

I would interested in the pocket carry for your new gun - how would you compare it to the P3 or similiar? I like that particular pistol, so your feedback is helpful (nothing like hearing it from user - not to diminish gun mag reviews).

You make valid points on caliber and I have considered your points at great length, but I figure (at least for now) the little .32, up under the chin, in the throat, nads, or other spot that will give plenty of pain, it's better than telling them to stop or I'll call the President and he will scold them - this is after expending at least 16 9MM (and yeah, I know all the arguments about caliber and I'm saving, but those nice 1911 ain't cheap and that danged Joe has to go and show off their new Hero Gear offering...)

I would interested in the pocket carry for your new gun - how would you compare it to the P3 or similiar? I like that particular pistol, so your feedback is helpful (nothing like hearing it from user - not to diminish gun mag reviews).

You make valid points on caliber and I have considered your points at great length, but I figure (at least for now) the little .32, up under the chin, in the throat, nads, or other spot that will give plenty of pain, it's better than telling them to stop or I'll call the President and he will scold them - this is after expending at least 16 9MM (and yeah, I know all the arguments about caliber and I'm saving, but those nice 1911 ain't cheap and that danged Joe has to go and show off their new Hero Gear offering...)

The 442 is not that much bigger and is just as concealable either in my hip or front pocket with a simple handmade pocket holster I picked up at a gun show. The recoil is stiff with +P loads, but it's managable. Plus I get a better grip on it than I did on my P3AT. On top of that, you get the reliability of a S&W revolver. I had to send my Kel Tec back to the factory after it failed on me one day at the range. I couldn't bring myself to trust it after that.

With so many small and affordable 9mm's and .38's on the market now, there's really no reason to carry anything less. If it's a semi-auto you want, the Kel-Tec PF9 is a good pocket gun and, with the right ammo, is vastly superior to the P3AT. It is not much bigger and conceals just as well. It can also be bought for about the same price.

This is a big part of why I feel the way I do about mouseguns: http://concealedcarryforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9342

When you say you can stick the .32 up under the chin, or in the groin, do you really want to be that close to an attacker? To each his own, but I don't intend to let him get that close to me.

I know 1911's aren't cheap, which is why I have only one. I'd like to have another. If Bud's Gun Shop would stop running ridiculous sales, I might be able to save enough money. :)

Edited by DaddyO
Guest 3pugguy

Thanks for the good feedback. And to clarify, my point is the little gun is such a last ditch effort weapon, at that point, it would be only if I were in that personal range.

I agree on the Kel-tec 9mm, as I know a fella who swears by his.

Anyway, do appreciate the feedback. Wheel guns have a certain unquestionable appeal, at least to me - now if I can only buy more guns!

B

Guest woodsltc

I've carried one as a pocket gun for a couple of years ............ it's light and easily concealable. Pretty accurate out to 10 yds and mine is reliable after the "fluff & buff".

I've tried others in the past but the weight and bulkiness was not comfortable in my pocket...............the P3AT goes just about everywhere with me now.

The P3AT is perfect in the pocket. To draw an analogy, if I need to cut down a tree, I'll use an axe but I'll still have a pocket knife in my pocket. For cutting down bad guys, I'll use a 1911 but I'll still have a P3AT in my pocket. It's better to have it and not need it than the other way around. My P3AT has never failed at the range. I hope that's the only place I'll ever use it.

• 2 months later...

I carry my Kel-Tec P-11 in my pocket as my primary defense weapon. But, have been on the look out for the right deal on a Kel-Tec P3AT, or a Ruger LCP as a back up gun. It's just so concealable, and having it on you is "everything" when the fertilizer hits the fan.

Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

Guest readyornot

Mine goes with me every day. On my ankle when on duty (Glock 22 .40 Cal Duty Firearm) and in my pocket all other times. I pick it up with my keys and wallet every morning. Just part of the pocket stash.

great as long as you arnet tryin to defend over 10 feet. if my p239 goes down(not! to hell and back reliability) and he is on top you can bet he will get a chest/gut full of .380 JHP

Guest rocker2229

Well, I bought a new parkerized p-3at about 2 years ago before I moved to Memphis. I intended it to my my edc, but, frankly, I've never even shot it. I love my Sig 228 too much and continue to carry it. the KT p380 is still sitting new in the box unfired. I guess I should list in the the classifieds as I'd rather carry my Sig.

Doc