Wanted: People Who Aren't Afraid To Think BIG...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hate having to wade through all of the crap at gunshows to get to what I want to see. I didn't come to see cheap or kitchen knives, Jerky, Beenie-Babies or any of that kind of stuff.

I wanna see guns, ammo and accessories. I want to see quality. I want to see reps from Novesk, Magpul, Glock, Springfield, DD, Troy, LMT...etc.

Room to move around would be nice, the gun shows are so cramped at times.

That sounds like a great lead in to another question...

What do you completely and utterly dislike about any of the current gun show circuits out there?

Feel free to list as many complaints as you want. Those of us who are involved in organizing this really want to know what areas suck about other shows so that we can make this one completely different.

So far this group is taking a very no-holds barred approach to organizing these shows. They want it to be absolutely over the top in every good way possible.

The flea market atmosphere. I'm not at a gun show to buy Chinese made belt buckles, Sham Wows' or beef jerky.

And having to disarm or remove ammo.

I just hate having to wade through all of the crap at gunshows to get to what I want to see. I didn't come to see cheap or kitchen knives, Jerky, Beenie-Babies or any of that kind of stuff.

I wanna see guns, ammo and accessories. I want to see quality. I want to see reps from Novesk, Magpul, Glock, Springfield, DD, Troy, LMT...etc.

Room to move around would be nice, the gun shows are so cramped at times.

Looks like we were both thinking the jerky thing at the same time!

Guest PapaB
I'm in, if you could get someone from the Beanie Baby Society for a lecture.

Good idea, Beanie Babies make great targets.:usa: Isn't that why they're sold at gun shows?

Back to reality, how about a spot for guest speakers to discuss things like ballistics, firearms safety, collecting, gun laws etc. etc. Somewhat like the Spring and Fall classics done by a well known chain.

Sections could be similar to the various forum sections. Handguns, Long guns, C & R, Vendor sales, individual sales and so on.

Looks like we were both thinking the jerky thing at the same time!

It was around lunchtime and us big guys think alike. :usa:

Speaking of food. I used to work for a beer distributor in Knoxville and every year they would have October fest for the employees. Buddys BBQ would come in and cater it... I don't care much for Buddys at their restaurants, but their catering is off the hook!

Anyway, just an idea to create an atmosphere.

Mmmmm...BBQ smoke and guns.... I'm so there!!

i hate the atmosphere, i guess you would call it, of the other shows.

unusual stuff would be nice too. (i mean premium weapons and accessories and the like)

a more professional approach to the show than normal is what i would like to see. a heavier emphasis on quality than quantity.

Guest abailey362

the crap that is let in.

it would be nice to see 2 main sections, one for vendors, and one for billy bob that has 5 rifles he wants to get rid of.

And prices - at least have to have a damn tag on everything. i pass by tables with small items like ammo and accy that aren't priced - to me it imples they are too high, and you usually have to wait on someone to finish a story about that time he was hunting a mule deer in cambodia with a rock or some other bs to talk to the one guy at the table

Guest canynracer

Would be cool David!

Gear booths...like blackhawk, 5.11, Surefire, maybe some big hunting names...

also, maybe a couple of guest speakers from the training industry.

My biggest problem is the crap, non- firearm/personal defense/hunting related crap.

Guest 70below

What do you completely and utterly dislike about any of the current gun show circuits out there?

/rant on

First of all.........I hate the "One way in, One way out" approach.......it sucks to wait outside for an hour to get in. Multiple entrances, at least 2, would be very nice.....walk 20 minutes from the car.....wait in line an hour.....and have to fight through the same small space as everyone else to get in the door sucks. Even if they had a separate entry area for people that are already ticketed and stamped would help some.

Then.......one of my other major gripes given that the isles tend to be too small.....it seems you always have two popular vendors side by side and you can't even squeeze by the crowd. Recently.....Georgia Arms and a reloading supply vendor. It looked like the floor on Wall Street.

Spread vendors that are going to be big further apart so you have more even flow. I don't mind a few jerky places or something, a little free snack while you wander....but they aren't going to have the big crowd, so put them next to a big vendor. Some of the smaller guys that usually have some nice stuff to sell always seem to get put in a corner, and you can't ever get near a gun to look at it, because everyone is trying to fit into the same space. Put a jerky place there, or round the tables a bit in the corners so traffic flows a bit smoother.

I also hate that along with some of the same old vendors, they bring the exact same guns to every show. They don't seem to mind having that beat up Mosin Nagant at every show for $600, but I hate to have to see it there every time too taking up space for quality vendors I wish were there that never seem to visit our area.

Give individuals that are trying to sell/trade their personal firearms a standing area so they aren't blocking the entry area and milling around in the isles BSing with their buddies so you can't get by between the tables, support beams, and them all yakin about the price of ammo when they were growing up. I like to take a gun or two to sell or trade too, or to relax and bs with the guys I came with, but give us a place where we don't get in everyones way. Maybe have a few "representatives" that kind of suggest to people to move to a more convenient area, or to keep the entry way clear.

/Rant off

It was around lunchtime and us big guys think alike. :rolleyes:

Speaking of food. I used to work for a beer distributor in Knoxville and every year they would have October fest for the employees. Buddys BBQ would come in and cater it... I don't care much for Buddys at their restaurants, but their catering is off the hook!

Anyway, just an idea to create an atmosphere.

Mmmmm...BBQ smoke and guns.... I'm so there!!

And maybe a cigar lounge! :rolleyes:

Well, maybe not, but hey, David asked for all thoughts!

Guest abailey362

you get your cover charge back if you spend xxx dollars with the vendors - kinda like validating parking

and don't hold them in the ghetto...live nashville fairgrounds

you get your cover charge back if you spend xxx dollars with the vendors - kinda like validating parking

and don't hold them in the ghetto...live nashville fairgrounds

Its going to be hard to get the promoter to agree to that.

Cover charge is almost a must to pay for the massive overhead of something like this.

So...

Would it sound appealing to anyone here if TGO were to start co-organizing and co-sponsoring a series of quarterly TGO Gun Shows somewhere centrally located and within an hour's driving distance to about five major cities / metropolitan areas here in the Southeastern United States?

And by gun shows I mean kick-ass events unlike most any gun shows you've already been to. More along the lines of scaled-down quarterly SHOT shows for the everyman, where you could find dozens of premium vendors selling cool guns and gear, factory representatives, some learning sessions and activities for the kids and rest of the family.

Would something like that sound pretty good to anyone?

:rolleyes:

Absolutely sounds amazing. I am willing to help out.

One thing I thought cut down on my interest was how dang hot it was at the Nashville Fairgrounds and even the Smyrna show.

And after going to a few, I got the distinct sense that it's same ol' guys selling the same ****ty stuff for too much money. I felt like they were selling timeshares or something.

The narrow aisles were an issue too.

Still, I always go and wander, so I do enjoy it.

I love the idea, but all the posts on what you want in a gun show, or don't want, seem to be a bit ambitious. Unfortunately, what makes gun shows what they are is money. Shows cost a lot to produce and recuperating those costs requires things like Sham-wow. Unless you're the Las Vegas ShotShow, which is basically what everyone is describing.

There is only one place in TN that could accomodate such an event and that is the Opryland Hotel which would cost insane amounts of money to book. It would also take a lot of work and a long-term plan.

I'm not saying having such an event in TN is a bad idea (I would love it). I'm just saying that there are reasons why our local shows are like they are.

I love the idea, but all the posts on what you want in a gun show, or don't want, seem to be a bit ambitious. Unfortunately, what makes gun shows what they are is money. Shows cost a lot to produce and recuperating those costs requires things like Sham-wow. Unless you're the Las Vegas ShotShow, which is basically what everyone is describing.

There is only one place in TN that could accomodate such an event and that is the Opryland Hotel which would cost insane amounts of money to book. It would also take a lot of work and a long-term plan.

I'm not saying having such an event in TN is a bad idea (I would love it). I'm just saying that there are reasons why our local shows are like they are.

You need to reread the title of this thread.:tough:

I can go to a gun store and see XXY gun at XXY price any day of the week. I dislike going to a gun show, standing in line, paying 10 dollars, only to find the same gun for the same price that I could've bought it for during the week without the crowd or admission fee. I'm not saying dealers have to offer discounts at the show, but really the only reason I might go to a show now would be to find an individual walking around with something I was looking for. Otherwise, I'll just buy the gun at the dealer's store and save the wait and admission fee.