Knoxville PD apologizes for open carry incident in Wal-Mart

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just a matter of treating everyone the same.

I use to have military guys hand me their ID card with their driver’s license. If it was a minor traffic offense I let them go because they were serving their county.

<O:p</O:p

A local liquor store would detain and call the police on any minor that tried to purchase alcohol. (That is a criminal misdemeanor in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State>Illinois</st1:State>). I was detailed to that store and they had a 20 year old in custody. They said that their store policy was to press charges against anyone underage attempting to purchase and they wanted him arrested.

The long hair freak behind the counter said the guy tried to use a military ID and that didn’t mean chit to him.

The guy was 20 years old, had done 2 years active duty in the Army, and was in the reserves. I took him outside, explained to him just the act of attempting to purchase was a crime. I told him to consider this a warning and let him go. (I would have given him a ride home if he had been in the Navy or Marines.)

Does giving the military a break knock me down even lower of the Professional scale? Or is okay because they aren’t cops?

I might as well out him.

Mars is actually Ned Ray McWhorter.

Sorry, Mars.

Well then, since I drive by his house nearly every day, I'll have to stop by :D

I use to have military guys hand me their ID card with their driver’s license. If it was a minor traffic offense I let them go because they were serving their county.

<o></o>I think the primary beef is that other police officers not only expect, but demand that they be excused for breaking the law willfully.

THATS' what the other folks are grousing about..and truth to tell, they've got a great point!

[/size][/font] <o></o>I think the primary beef is that other police officers not only expect, but demand that they be excused for breaking the law willfully.

Precisely what we are saying.

Military guys might give a comrade a break if they go into a situation and some bystander gets killed or wounded. Such an event might not get reported by his buddies. It was an accident during a tense moment. But if a soldier goes in with the intention of violating international law and doesn't get reported, the men keeping silent become party to the crime. All are criminals.

That's how I see the situation with LE. Some officer speeding a bit because he's thinking of other things might get let go. But an officer who breaks the law knowingly because he expects other officers to cover up for him is in the wrong profession, and so are the officers who let him get away with it.

We need a dead horse emoticon.

Military guys might give a comrade a break if they go into a situation and some bystander gets killed or wounded. Such an event might not get reported by his buddies. It was an accident during a tense moment.

Holly crap man… killing an innocent bystander is quite a leap from giving a warning on a speeding ticket. Is there some kind of comparison here? :D

havent posted before. was pulled over today for a turn infraction. must say the officer was very professional, but i was open carrying in my vehicle. he became rather upset and informed me that it was illegal even with a permit. we had a very opinionated discussion of the law. along came a county mounty which ageed with him. this is the second time this has happened to me in tn. needless to say this time i got names and badge numbers and letters to their supervisors are in the works. needless to say our officers need to be educated about tn law. one even got upset over my cocked and locked para 45.

havent posted before. was pulled over today for a turn infraction. must say the officer was very professional, but i was open carrying in my vehicle. he became rather upset and informed me that it was illegal even with a permit. we had a very opinionated discussion of the law. along came a county mounty which ageed with him. this is the second time this has happened to me in tn. needless to say this time i got names and badge numbers and letters to their supervisors are in the works. needless to say our officers need to be educated about tn law. one even got upset over my cocked and locked para 45.

Looks like you handled it as well as you could. Dang I'll be glad when LE's here get the proper training.:taser::taser::taser::taser::taser:

• Administrator

It's not just the LE's. A while back I had the opportunity to ask my lawyer about whether she would feel comfortable handling my defense were I ever to be involved in a self-defense shooting or if I should have a contingency for that sort of thing with another lawyer.

(It pays to know who you're going to call before you're ever in that position at 2am!)

She informed me that she didn't think that a carry permit even allowed you to have your handgun in the center console or glove box of your car. I guess I sort of made an :taser: face when she said that, and then told her I would forward a copy of John Harris' book on the subject of Carrying A Firearm For Self Defense In Tennessee.

:taser:

• Administrator
I keep a folded copy of the AG Opinion on Open-Carry in my wallet, for reference. It's not the ultimate authority, but it'd sure make an officer think twice about hauling me away on false charges.

"You made that up in MS Word and printed it out!" --Johnny Lawdog

:taser:

PS: Yeah I know, I'm a pessimist.