Jogging handgun and rig

Guest Rugerman

Guest Rugerman

So today I was out for a 2 mile run and got to feeling quite naked without a pistol on me. I was running during the afternoon, but often I run before the sun comes up in the dark. Does anyone have a recommended pistol and holster setup for running??? How do you carry while running? What's a good gun for this? I was thinking a small P3AT or LCP....

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Maxpedition Colossus shifts around too much just walking vigorously. I've got no experience, but something like Thunderwear and a J frame seems like it would work well.

I've got the smaller one, and it stays put pretty well.

I jogged 2 miles today wearing polyester uniform shorts and a 1.5 inch leather belt. I don't carry(yet) but my cell phone stays in place slightly forward of my hip. I think my GLOCK19 would be a nuisance but surely one of the polymer 380's would stay in place IWB. Sorry no experience with holsters just unconventional jogging shorts!

LOL...:cool:dang this is hardcore. So where are you "jogging" that necessitates going CC?

I don't know about Rugerman, but I just prefer to be armed as much as legally possible. Especially if I'm fatigued, winded, etc and my H2H ability is compromised.

Ya just never know where ugliness will show up! :D

I have been thinking about this topic for a while. I run 3 to 5 miles a day out in the Shelby Forest area. When I bike I keep a P32 in my tail bag. But I can't think of a suitable means to carry while running. I guess a fanny pack would be best, considering the amount of sweat the gun would be exposed to IWB.

Guest SureShot308

Nope, but I was thinking about getting one for my P380. From what I can tell it's about like wearing Under Armor just with the holster.

I'll let you know if I end up getting one.

Guest db99wj

I've thought about it, and haven't done anything about it. I run typically 3 places, Shelby Farms (Can't carry due to govt opting out or in or whatever), my kids school (it's a school...), and between my house and the school on public streets, well traveled for the most part. I just don't carry at this point. Shelby Farms and at school, typically running with a large group (my kids cross country team) but am alone on the street run. I usually run the street run on Saturdays during the day. There have been times that I have run at night.

I am not going to wear something like regular shorts, or a fanny pack, and probably not a backpack, unless I am running a long long way and will have a hydration insert for my backpack, then I can carry in there, already have the holster that goes with my Maxepidtion back pack. I sweat....a lot and extra stuff will chafe me all to hell. Maybe oneday I will get me a Keltec and use a belly band. Thing is, after every run, I would have to completely clean the thing so it wouldn't rust, again sweat.

So for now, I just won't carry.

I am not going to wear something like regular shorts, or a fanny pack, and probably not a backpack, unless I am running a long long way and will have a hydration insert for my backpack, then I can carry in there, already have the holster that goes with my Maxepidtion back pack. I sweat....a lot and extra stuff will chafe me all to hell. Maybe oneday I will get me a Keltec and use a belly band. Thing is, after every run, I would have to completely clean the thing so it wouldn't rust, again sweat.

So for now, I just won't carry.

That is were I am at. Don't want to have to clean pistol every time I run. I do put it in my biking jersey pocket.

Belly band (I think mine is uncle mikes).

Works great, cheap and my G27 never moves.

Yep, that would be my choice.

Something like this, worn under a tee shirt, should be just the ticket.

Guest Law of Thirds

My vote's for the J-Frame or keltek/LCP/etc in the pocket holster in the front pocket. Pocket holster adds some padding and keeps the sweat off the gun and it's not rubbing directly against skin.

I like the 642 option personally, very little on those can rust, even less so on the 340/342 so cleaning would really just consist of wiping the gun down.

Just a thought, but what about a cycling jersey. Most have three pockets in the back that would fit a small pistol just fine. You could even use a pocket holster if you wanted to as well with that setup. I'm thinking the under shirt is going to be a real pain if you swing your arms at all and everything else requires strapping something to places that are uncomfortable and unnatural when running. Something like this for example could work great. You can also get them pretty cheap if you shop.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCategory_10053_10052_200478_-1_200275_200338

AA-GXSL-OR-BACK.jpgAA-GXSL-OR-ANGLE.jpg

Edited by Smith