Mountain Lions

I know I'll be ridiculed for posting this, but two or three years ago, I saw something cross my yard that I can't positively identify. It was cat-like, way larger than a bobcat, of which I see regularly, and had a long, curved tail. It appeared to be dark in color. Never saw it again. I've heard several other accounts of seeing large cats; some sounded credible, so not so much.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i went hking\camping in the smokies(backcountry) three years ago in late january, and me and my brother in law saw two mountain lions eating what looked like the remains of a deer. we set and watched them for a while (about 15 min), but when they saw us or smelled us they split. this was an awesome sight, so the answer to the original question is yes.

I know people in the Monteagle/Tracy City area and they say they have seen them while hunting. I go off roading up there all the time and have yet to see one.

I have heard the same thing from several people from the area.

Also I spent a night at Raven Point in South Cumberland Recreation Area and heard something circling sounding to be in heat or in distress before turning in. Awoke to the same thing circling even closer about 4am....never ever heard anything like it before or since....quite convinced it was a mountain lion.

On a side note; I got an e-mail the other day that bears are now confirmed in South Cumberland Recreation Area. Apparently someone caught a picture of one not too far from Collins Gulf. The rangers had been seeing signs for awhile. Another example of things "not here" that eventually we find out they might have been here all along.

Guest Tusculum

This is a way back when tale but before Gubberment closed all the trails we would camp all weekend at Paint Creek in Andrew Johnson forest here in Greene County. We rode trail bikes and stayed up at the top where it joins Pisgah in North Carolina, No Dope, No Booze, Sober the whole time. About 2:00AM either a large cat or a very frightened woman about 10 ft from our tent let out a scream that I remember to this day. It was the scariest noise I had ever heard. There were 8 or us including my parents and no one slept until daylight. Ill never forget that sound. My Parents and Grand Parents were hill people raised at the foot of that same mountain and my Dad said GrandPa had always told him about the Panthers on top of Paint Creek and he said now I believe him. Thanks, Jack

When I was 14, my Dad and I were hunting on some leased land in McNairy County, and we saw a large cat, solid black, with a long tail, running through a hollow (holler) we were hunting. It stopped at a small creek and flat foot jumped over it like it was nothing. We were shocked. I didn't know we had cats like that in this part of TN.

Everyone we tell doesn't believe us, and that is fine, they don't have too.

This is a way back when tale but before Gubberment closed all the trails we would camp all weekend at Paint Creek in Andrew Johnson forest here in Greene County. We rode trail bikes and stayed up at the top where it joins Pisgah in North Carolina, No Dope, No Booze, Sober the whole time. About 2:00AM either a large cat or a very frightened woman about 10 ft from our tent let out a scream that I remember to this day. It was the scariest noise I had ever heard. There were 8 or us including my parents and no one slept until daylight. Ill never forget that sound. My Parents and Grand Parents were hill people raised at the foot of that same mountain and my Dad said GrandPa had always told him about the Panthers on top of Paint Creek and he said now I believe him. Thanks, Jack

:)

My dad and grandfather heard that scream outside their tent once while deer hunting (not in TN). That was years ago, and I think it still creeps them out a little to think about it. That can't be a fun sound to wake up to.

Guest MCRAIG

The TWRA says they are not here. I say a large cat outside my living room one evening but thank goodness it was just an escaped tiger from tiger haven next door. All the ol' timer I talk to swear they are still here and I though they were crazy till I was in Morgan hunting last december in the Don Sundquist Forest. It wasn't a black panther but a dirty looking brown color. Although I saw it with my own sober eyes I still doubt myself because everyone else does. I have loads of info on these strange animal matters in TN if anyone is interested.

Heard a cougar scream (no jokes please;)) when I was a kid camping in Arkansas on the White River. It was pacing up and down on the opposite side of the river purring every so often till it let out it's scream.The most blood curdling sound I have ever heard to this day.:) I know they are over there, but haven't seen or heard of one over here....... till now.

I'll believe it when I see one documented at a weigh in station and acknowledged by TWRA.

Until then, I still consider painters in TN as wishful thinking.

- OS

Then what did I describe seeing?

I remember a while back (reading this in the paper) a man shooting a large black cat during muzzleloader season in a State Park. I believe it was Chickasaw State Park, but can't be for sure. I try to find it online somewhere. I remeber cutting the article out of the paper.

Big Cat News: Caracal suspected to roam Tennessee park

Caracal suspected to roam Tennessee park

"...it's probably someone's 'pet' that has escaped or been released, officials say. Tennessee residents can own a caracal, a type of lynx, or a cougar, but cougars require a special permit and safeguards."

Cougarlike beast calls parks home, shocking visitors

TWRA officials suspect animal is harmless caracal

By ANNE PAINE

Staff Writer

Thursday, 11/16/06

Two sightings of a large "cat" in the 2,680-acre Warner Parks have officials seeking tracks and other evidence to determine what it is and what should be done.

The tawny-colored animal was reported as a cougar, a species that has been known to kill people.

One wildlife expert said, however, that it's more likely a caracal, a type of smaller African animal that's the same color and not inclined to harm anyone.

Either way, it's probably someone's "pet" that has escaped or been released, officials say. Tennessee residents can own a caracal, a type of lynx, or a cougar, but cougars require a special permit and safeguards.

The most recent reported sighting was Nov. 8. Tim Ogle spotted the beast Nov. 2 while bicycling through the park, near the Harpeth Hills golf course.

"I came around a corner, and off to the right-hand side of the road, sitting looking off into the brush was a large cat," he said, adding that it was quite a surprise.

"As I approached, it got up, and I could clearly see it wasn't a bobcat because it was big and had a tail."

Ogle called out — as he would with a deer to shoo it out of the way — and the creature "sauntered off into the woods."

When he arrived where the feline had been, he stopped to peer in the direction the cat went.

"I looked, and it was looking at me," said the environmental engineer.

"I sat there for a minute and said, 'I can see you,' or something stupid like that. Then I decided I should go on down the road."

Ogle, who estimated the cat at about 70 pounds, waited a week to tell the park staff.

"I felt like a real crackpot," he said, "but I knew what I saw."

His sighting took place in the southeastern portion of the park. The Warner Parks had received another report, with the description also similar to a cougar, from another person six days later, said Deb Beazley, park naturalist.

In the second case, the large cat had been seen in a field between the park's Nature Center and Ensworth High School. That's on the park's southwestern corner.

Beazley called the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency to consult.

"There are more questions than answers right now," she said Wednesday. "We're hoping there'll be more sightings so we can get some tracks, some real evidence on the animal and go from there."

Scat, hair or photos also would work for an identification. But don't worry about any large tracks with claw marks, which probably were made by dogs. Cats retract their claws when they walk.

The cat could stick around. The park is loaded with deer, a favorite meal of cougars.

And there are plenty of birds — from wild turkeys to bluebirds — that appeal to caracals.

Here is what a "Caracal" looks like.

caracal.jpg

Caracal_hunting_in_the_serengeti.jpg

When did TWRA stop shaving with Occams' Razor?

Well, the simplest explanation (as per Occam) is that there are NO North American cougars in TN, since there isn't a documented case of one being killed since, well, far as I know, NEVER in the history of TWRA.

And a black one?

Never a documented case in ALL of North America. Ever.

- OS

Guest canynracer
hmmm,

The trail cam picture posted above from Catoosa is the same one I saw, except the picture I saw was a different shot and it wasn't dragging a deer. I saw the picture from a co-worker's cell phone who claimed she was related to the owner of the trail cam. I do know the people involved live near Frozen Head and the Ozone area, and spend a lot of time in Catoosa. She told me they hear the "screams" from a lion quite often and it's pretty common knowledge around those parts that cats are in the area. I certainly can't confirm any of this, just what I have been told by whom I consider a trusty co-worker.

Sounds like a fishy deal if others are seeing similar pictures all of a sudden thoug.

On the other hand, another very trustable co-worker, whom I would never in my lifetime accuse of fabricating the truth swears they saw a black panther a few years ago on the back of their property. They live on the outskirts of Oliver Springs.

I believe it...those guys are EVERYWHERE!!!!

black_panther_orange_2.jpg

BlackPanthersGroup.jpg

Well, the simplest explanation (as per Occam) is that there are NO North American cougars in TN, since there isn't a documented case of one being killed since, well, far as I know, NEVER in the history of TWRA.

And a black one?

Never a documented case in ALL of North America. Ever.

- OS

The eastern cougar: historic ... - Google Books

Take a look at this. We know that cougars are an indigenous species. We also know that the last documented killing was in 1920. We know that the last official and confirmed presence was in 1971. Now, the question is are there cougars today? My suspicion is that there are because most animals that are declared "extinct" are usually documented some time later, although in very small numbers. Do I have proof, No. As for the TWRA declaring that they exist, Missouri and Arkansas both deny they exist even though they have bodies to prove otherwise. If I shot one outside my window tonight and called the TWRA to pick up the body, they would still deny that there is a breeding population.

By the way "Oh Shoot" I want to personally thank you for teaching me how to use my computer. Before I starting posting here, I didn't know how to copy and paste. But since you constantly question the validity of every statement made on here by me or anyone else, I had to learn.

As for a black panther(leopard), I'm with you they have never populated TN. As a matter of fact they have never populated North America, to my knowleged, in other than prehistoric times.

Edited by tntnixon
Guest mustangdave

This is out of WIKIPEDIA:

The cougar has the largest range of any wild land animal in the Americas. Its range spans 110 degrees of latitude, from northern Yukon in Canada to the southern Andes. It is one of only three cat species, along with the bobcat and Canadian lynx, native to Canada.[21] Its wide distribution stems from its adaptability to virtually every habitat type: it is found in all forest types as well as in lowland and mountainous deserts. Studies show that the Cougar prefers regions with dense underbrush, but can live with little vegetation in open areas.[2] Its preferred habitats include precipitous canyons, escarpments, rim rocks, and dense brush.[28]

Based on this tidbit....its highly possible that there could be BIG Cats in TN

The cougar was extirpated across much of its eastern North American range with the exception of Florida in the two centuries after European colonization and faced grave threats in the remainder. Currently, it ranges across most western American states, the Canadian provinces of Alberta and British Columbia, and the Canadian Yukon Territory. There have been widely debated reports of possible recolonization of eastern North America.[40] DNA evidence has suggested its presence in eastern North America,[41] while a consolidated map of cougar sightings shows numerous reports, from the mid-western Great Plains through to Eastern Canada.[42] The only unequivocally known eastern population is the Florida panther, which is critically endangered. There have also been sightings in Elliotsville, Maine in the central part of the state and in New Hampshire there have been recent sightings as early as 1997

Edited by mustangdave
a bit more....
North Carolina wildlife resources also claimed that mountain lions didn't wonder around in the mountain too. Had a hard time explaining the one hit by a car near Brevard last summer.

So, I'm supposed to just automatically believe that, right?

- OS