.40 Caliber Pistols

Craftypoppa

Need some help, I am new to pistols. I have now a Rossi 38 special (CCW) and I am going to buy a pistol next. I know I want a 40 caliber compact (CCW), pretty sure a double action. Up in the air about a safety leaning towards yes. What would be some recommendations. I need to stay in the $500 or less range.

Appreciate any help and ideas.

Sorry about thread title I was at work and its early morning.

Edited by JHatmaker
Changed Title
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tnvolfan

Hello Crafty, and welcome to the forum. I have a Taurus M82 38 special revolver, and I really love shooting it. Rossi is now owned by Taurus, and depending on how new or old your revolver is, it might have been made by Taurus, too.

I have two .40 S&W caliber guns, both of them semi-automatics made by Springfield Armory. If you go to their website, Springfield Armory, look up the XDM-40 and the XD-40 sub-compact. I also have both guns in the 9mm caliber. The XD line of handguns are some of the safest, most user-informative, AND accurate guns available on the market today. They have a grip safety on them, a tactile loaded chamber indicator, and a tactile striker status indicator (which tells if the gun's cocked and ready to shoot). The XDM-40 won the NRA 2009 Handgun of the Year Award, and the XD-line won the same award a couple of years ago. One of my best friend's brother just purchased a new XD-sub-compact (3" barrel) from a dealer this past week for $519, so I think it's in your price range. You can find these guns used (but not many of them) for less than $500. They also hold more ammo than most guns on the market. The XD-40 sub-compact holds 13+1 (this means you can store a round in the chamber with 13 rounds in the magazine) and the XDM-40 holds 16+1. The XDM-9mm holds 19+1 -- so you see what I mean by a lot of ammo. I really like this feature of the XD line. Anyway, like I said, I have four of these guns, and I have family members who also have the XD-45, which will be my next Springfield gun purchase. I don't have a 45 caliber gun and I'd really like one. I hope you will go to a nearby gun store and look at the XD line and see for yourself the quality of engineering design that has gone into these handguns. Good luck! :stick:

I've had good luck w/my Taurus 24/7 .40....never a single issue. Also have a Taurus 709 that has nothing but problems. (both guns have safety)

Taurus is just a gamble...never know what you're gonna get.

I'm getting ready to pick up an XD to replace the Taurus as a main carry gun...no thumb safety, but the grip safety does a lot to ease my mind in that dept.

if you're dead set on a safety, someone already mentioned the CZ Rami...it would definitely be my 2nd choice.

...The XD-40 sub-compact holds 13+1 (this means you can store a round in the chamber with 13 rounds in the magazine) ...

Well, now, to be fair, the .40 SC only holds 10+1 with the flush mag, which is the way most everyone will carry it, otherwise they wouldn't have wanted the subbie in the first place. It does indeed hold 13+1 in the extended mag, which of course is the same one that fits the service model.

- OS

why would you want a .40 when they make a .45?

Mike returneth????

Lots of nice 40's out there. I was leaning towards a M&P40 now that I no longer have my G22 (I miss it already), but I shot my bosses XDm 40, and its more pricey, but dang it shoots nice.

A CZ in 40 sounds like it fits the bill for you though, and they're supposed to be sweet shooters.

Personal opinion, love my xd40 compact. Light, easily carried, very accurate. Also have Taurus Milpro PT140. Good gun. Not as accurate or pleasant to soot as the xd, but usually can be found new/used 75/100 or sometimes more, cheaper.

You won't go wrong with either.

But go with what fits your hand and feels best, not what is recommended by shop salespeople or any of us. That's just my humble opinion.

XD40 Subcompact is one of my favorite carry guns. the above post by tnvolfan describes my reasons all to well. Bought mine new and it came with a gun, regular mag, extended mag, holster, and a speed loader, gun lock, cleaner, and case. Shop around... I found a good deal at my local shop but I searched all over from Knoxville to Chatanooga. I know you can find it in your price range. I also liked the Glock 27 but went for the XD40SC b/c of all the stuff it came with and the numerous awards it has won recently. Try'em both. :D

Guest tnvolfan

Crafty, OhShoot was right about the flush mag holding 10+1 -- thanks OhShoot for catching that one. The beauty of the sub-compact is that they give you two different mags, one for each application. I hope you can find a range that rents these guns (for practice on the range only) so that you can have the joy of at least shooting one of these great guns! If you lived closer, I'd sure let you try mine!

I would recommend the M&P 40 in either the full size or compact. (I own both)

The good…

It’s made in America by Americans.

It’s a Smith & Wesson. Quality, warranty and support are second to none.

It comes in many different options.

It is quickly making a move to become the top choice of Cops.

It has adjustable grips.

It is in your price range.

The bad…

It’s a little fat, and it’s a Tuperware gun. :D

Guest Battzglock

<<<<<<<<<< bou't says it all.

I've had HK, shot the M&P40 [thumbs down for me but love the 9c].

I am a Glock guy...23, 23c and 27...excellent weapons and I can say that from at least 10+ years of Glock .40 use.

Safety...??? Read up...Can't say Glocks are for everyone but they are as safe as you'll get.

Unless you are simply averted to Glock at least look.

I was in your same boat a few months ago and my first gun was a .38 special but I wanted a semi auto so started doing a lot of research and ended up buying a M&P .40 but to me it was to big for CCW so I posted a thread looking for the perfect carry in .40 cal, I had to save a few more bucks but I ended up buying a Sig P239 in .40 cal and this is the finest hand gun I ever owned... Absolutely trust it with my life..... COOP

Safeties are overrated.

Let me expand on that a bit. AFAIK, on XDs, if there's a a round in the chamber, it's fully cocked and ready to fire, so it needs external safeties.

With a Glock, it's only partially cocked and fully safe until the trigger is pulled, cocking it fully and firing the pistol. Hence no need for external safeties.

Go check Summit Gun Broker. These are all in 40 caliber.

Sig 229 CPO $545

Sig 226 CPO $545

Sig 250 $495

Beretta 96 $335

Glock 22 $330

Glock 23 $375

Glock 27 $415

Springfield XD $445

Most are police trade ins. If you can swing it, I would recommend the Sig P229 or the Glock 23. I have both and they are great guns. Hope this helps.

Let me expand on that a bit. AFAIK, on XDs, if there's a a round in the chamber, it's fully cocked and ready to fire, so it needs external safeties.

With a Glock, it's only partially cocked and fully safe until the trigger is pulled, cocking it fully and firing the pistol. Hence no need for external safeties.

Oh, I don't think that's a very fair description.

XD has same "safe action" trigger as Glock, drop safety is still on until trigger is pulled fully, etc.

And of course, Glock has the shorter initial trigger pull, too.

While there may be a slight mechanical diff between them in how the striker is actually finally released, I don't think there's a whit of difference between them as far as how they work user wise - if slide is racked, they both go boom when you pull the trigger. The XD grip safety is no more "needed" than a grip safety on a Glock. Indeed, just as on a 1911, you can remove it, and it's still just as "safe" as a Glock.

- OS

Oh, I don't think that's a very fair description.

XD has same "safe action" trigger as Glock, drop safety is still on until trigger is pulled fully, etc.

And of course, Glock has the shorter initial trigger pull, too.

While there may be a slight mechanical diff between them in how the striker is actually finally released, I don't think there's a whit of difference between them as far as how they work user wise - if slide is racked, they both go boom when you pull the trigger. The XD grip safety is no more "needed" than a grip safety on a Glock. Indeed, just as on a 1911, you can remove it, and it's still just as "safe" as a Glock.

- OS

No, I don't think so. If you can see the "cocking indicator", that means the striker is fully cocked...

At first glance, one would be tempted to say that the XD is a Glock knock-off. It’s a polymer-framed high-capacity autoloader and it has the little trigger safety flange thingy made famous by the Glocken. But there the similarity ends. The forged and milled slide looks more like a SIG, as do the spare controls. The grip angle is that of a 1911 while the grip shape is reminiscent of the Browning Hi-Power. (Actually, when I squint my eyes, I see the ghost of the Hi-Power in the overall shape of the XD-9 Tactical.) The take-down lever and the slide release look SIG-ish. And, it has a grip safety, like the 1911. The finish of the slide is called “Bruniral” and is said to be “proprietary” and the formula is not released to the public. It looks like something between bluing and parkerization. It is said to be not as tough as the Tenifer finish of the Glocks. A coat of protecting oil is advised for new guns. The finish seems OK to me, but I’m not one of these guys who likes to run over my handguns with trucks.

The XD series of pistols are classified as single action, not double action or “safe action.” When the slide cycles, the striker is fully cocked, not partially in the way the Glock is. The XD may look like a double action pistol but it isn’t, and it doesn’t shoot like one. I was particularly pleased with the long shots that I made with the XD. They were as good or better than with my beloved 1911’s at that range. I give credit for this to the 5 lb. trigger of the XD. It doesn’t “break like a glass rod” but it’s quite clean for this kind of pistol. There is about a quarter inch of take-up, then a bit of creep, and then it breaks. During the “creeping” part, the trigger is lifting the striker block which serves to prevent the pistol from being fired in the event that it is dropped. This trigger is clean enough to make good shots without being so light as to make you nervous that it doesn’t have more external safeties.

No, I don't think so. If you can see the "cocking indicator", that means the striker is fully cocked...

(re "safe action"): well, I guess I really meant the trigger part. XD has the middle "safety" built in like Glock.

As far as the selection you quoted is concerned re "single" vs "double" action, many feel that it's archaic to classify striker fired guns in those terms, even with a striker fired oddity like a Taurus model or two where you can indeed re-strike an unfired round without racking; I'd think that should be called "double strike" capacity.

Anyway, whether the XD is "fully cocked" as opposed to a Glock "mostly cocked" is really splitting hairs. Both still have drop safety engaged, which is not released till trigger is depressed, neither will fire out of battery regardless of trigger/grip safety state. And most importantly, whatever intricacies are involved internally, they are transparent to the user - all you need to know is that when you pull the trigger they go bang. Reliably, in the case of both.

The extra grip safety on the XD has always been a comfort for me when reholstering, and the old saw against reflexively grabbing for a dropped handgun, the danger is reduced with a grip safety.

And one last thing about the grip safety: hey, John Browning thunk it up, so who am I to diss it? :)

- OS