Chainsaw???

titan14

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No prob, I would probably like Stihl but haven't ever owned one. Have an OLD McCulloch Mac 10 that still runs but afraid to use it much as you can't get parts for them anymore. Picked up the Husqvarna after the mid TN tornado's two years ago to do clean up because I already had the commercial grade trimmer/cutter. Both have performed admirably. The saw gets to ride on the 4 wheeler every year when we cut our way into the hunting areas after the winter blow downs get done falling.

Even if your only using it 3 or 4 times, if your cutting a regular size tree up you will appreciate having at least the mid sized saw. Well worth it.

There are grades or levels among brands. The big box machine is probably not the same as what you get from your friendly independent dealer. A good dealer can be your friend. Just do not buy an elcheapo and expect it to work right when you need it every time. Beware of plastic start mechanism parts.

Spend a few dollars more and get a name brand like Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo.

Either run a preservative in the gas and start the unit monthly or drain and burn all gas from the unit when finished using it.

oldogy, who has a commercial grade Echo that has worked through four hurricanes and cut firewood every year for 10 years. Repairs have been spark plugs, air filter, chains and one bar.

Have an OLD McCulloch Mac 10 that still runs but afraid to use it much as you can't get parts for them anymore.

Thats the problem I am having now...I have an OLD McCullough that worked great for years, until I went to Mark's one day to cut a few limbs out of the road....I get there....start it....let it run a minute or two....cut the first limb and then start cutting the second one....I let it get in a bind and it died....when i went to restart it....the primer bulb busted and the cord pulled out of it(maybe cause i was a little pissed).

So, I ran up to Marks garage grabbed his husqvarna and finished the job....it is a very very nice saw....thats the reason im leaning towards the husqy...

There are grades or levels among brands. The big box machine is probably not the same as what you get from your friendly independent dealer. A good dealer can be your friend. Just do not buy an elcheapo and expect it to work right when you need it every time. Beware of plastic start mechanism parts.

Spend a few dollars more and get a name brand like Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo.

Either run a preservative in the gas and start the unit monthly or drain and burn all gas from the unit when finished using it.

oldogy, who has a commercial grade Echo that has worked through four hurricanes and cut firewood every year for 10 years. Repairs have been spark plugs, air filter, chains and one bar.

+1 on that. I add Stabil to the gas for all my small engines. I never have a problem with them starting even after long periods of non-usage.

I've had very good luck with a few different types of Stihl equipment.

Chainsaw, string trimmer, blower.

But, of course, these are older pieces of equipment (which means they are traditional 2-stroke).

I've used Opti2 synthetic oil mix in them for years, and they all still run great.

I've used the Stihl string trimmer the most of these three, but after 11 years of use on our 2.5 acre yard, it still performs great. Just change spark plug and air filter occasionally. Now, the trimmer looks like Hell, but it still works great!!

Have had a Husqvarna for 5 years now, starts first or second pull, runs great. I bought a second one, haven't taken it out of the box. A spare saw is nice to have around, esp. at my place.

Other brands - Poulancuss, Stihl cussin, and homelite, I haven't had so much luck with.

You want some firewood? Come and cut all you want.

Have had a Husqvarna for 5 years now, starts first or second pull, runs great. I bought a second one, haven't taken it out of the box. A spare saw is nice to have around, esp. at my place.

Other brands - Poulancuss, Stihl cussin, and homelite, I haven't had so much luck with.

You want some firewood? Come and cut all you want.

Uhhhh....yeah bro....i hear ya...you been nippin tonight????

Husqvarna all the way.

Just finished sawing up some trees in my fence row with it a couple hours ago. It had been sitting since march without use. push the compression release, pull choke, pull once. push choke in , push in compression release, jerk it and go. FLAWLESS !!

I use to have a mowing and landscaping business and used just about every brand out there and every device. I won't say there is no other brand to have because STIHL,ECHO, and even SHINDAIWA make good products but just as another member pointed out, make sure you are getting commercial grade. It cost's more but well worth it.

I've had a 395 XP for several years now. It's under the "professional forest and tree care" series of saws but when I buy tools, like any real man I go FULL BORE, lol. it's a 7 horse saw that sound's like you are carrying a dirt bike engine around with you. feels like it too at around 20 pounds or so. Luckily I am overgrown. BUT, no need to apply pressure when you go to sawing stuff up. Just lay it on the log and press go, ha ha ha.

And just to show my support and my belief in husq, I also have their professional 2 horse weed trimmer and their professional 1 1/4 horse gas hedge trimmers.

Only issue I have is finding stuff to mangle and destory :P

And if you don't think their weedeaters will stand the test of time. As soon as I got it home I modified it to accept .130 thousandths line. Factory line for it was .85 or .90 i think. I've used it with that line for several years now without it ever showing a sign of failure.

Sorry to rant on but I love my power tools ALMOST as much as my guns :D

I got my husky off of ebay, never had a problem with it.

I agree with the others, Husky or Stihl.

Before I had a Husky, I had a "Wild Thing" (forget the mfg) that I got at HD. It worked, until it lost compression. It was then that I found out the "life" of those cheap saws are only something like 100 hrs. Now I know I ran mine for more than that but it should still be running today. I know my Husky, properly taken care of, will prolly out last me and go to my son!

Stihl or Husky. I have about 10 saws I have built and cut with just for fun right now. I don't heat with wood, just play around with burnt saws, rebuild and resell them. These 2 brands are the best being made. Without knowing what size stuff you are cutting, it is hard to make a suggestion.

Go to a dealer- stihl, husky, jonsered (red huskies) or even dolmar. They all make great saws. There are 2 types- clamshell (homeowner) and pro type saws that are easier to work on. More than likely, the homeowner type would be enough. Stihl 290, Husky 450/350 or 455 are all 50-55 cc homeowner saws that wil last a long time with care.

High test gas, stihl ultra oil at 50:1 (husky xp oil is good too) and you'll be fine. After using one a while, do yourself a favor and get rid of the safety chain.

Pm me for more info. Or, if you dare, go to arboristsite.com and read.

Determine a budget and go from there. Just like guns, a little more money usually means a better saw.