1911s

Guest jackdm3

Guest jackdm3

I'm gravitating towards a 1911 for the next gun. I'm asking you about desirable features like bevelled mag wells, extended mag releases, stainless mags vs. painted mags, small vs medium vs large slides, bull barrel vs bushing, decent sights and construction that don't ruin clothing, long-lasting finishes, twist rate, bevelled ejection ports, the best places for checkering/stippling, ...

I'm asking which features matter most and which ones less.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The more you pay the more you'll get. I recently bought a used Springfield Mil-Spec. It is big, ugly, heavy and I love it. It has all the features that I want. Since there are SO many options you might want to be more specific about exactly what mission your 1911 will perform. You won't run out of options only money!

The more you pay the more you'll get. I recently bought a used Springfield Mil-Spec. It is big, ugly, heavy and I love it. It has all the features that I want. Since there are SO many options you might want to be more specific about exactly what mission your 1911 will perform. You won't run out of options only money!

I agree a person should start off knowing what the pistols use will be,carry,target shooting,competition,there are so many options and a person can spend from $400.00 all the way up to $5000.00 for a custom gun,so it would be a lot easier of a choice if you figure out what its going to be used for.:)

Guest SureShot308

the beveled mag well comes on most 1911's from the factory. The extended mag well is nice on a tactical pistol, but not for a carry pistol.

The extended mag release just ends up a pain in the ass on a carry gun, you will probably drop the mag on accident a lot, and won't work with some holsters.

The quality of the magazine is more important than what it is made of. I love Wilson Combat Magazines.

The small(Officer) size 1911 is nice for carry, the medium(Commander) size is a good in between if you want that extra round in the mag. Full size(Government) is nice all around, more accuracy.

The type of barrel doesn't make that much difference, the fit of the barrel is more important.

Decent sights are always top priority.

The back of the slide, and the bottom back of the main spring housing are the places that will tear up cloths the most.

Everyone has a good finish these days that will give you years of service.

Most manufacturers make their 1911's with a flared ejection port.

checkering/stippling is good on the front strap, main spring housing, and the grips.

Guest JHatmaker

The RIA is a great 1911, but I have a feeling as soon as the 1911 bug bites you, your going to want to get something with a little more custom features, quality, etc. So don't be afraid to spend $700+ on a 1911.

Kimber's, in my opinion, are one of the best bang for you buck quality 1911's vs. going custom (ie Ed Brown, Hero Gear, etc). They have some really great entry level 1911's all the way up to some custom style pieces.

I have nothing against the RIA's, and honestly don't know how they make any money selling the quality 1911's they make for so cheap. But I wouldn't buy one and add all kinds of upgrades and call it day.

As far as what options/features to get vs. what not to get, it all comes down to what you think is important, and what the gun will be used for. I really can't tell you what not to get, but I agree with SureShot and would definately suggest a good set of sights, and Wilson Combat makes some of the best magazines I've found.

Good luck and have fun building/getting one. A warning though....this IS a sickness, and the only cure is to buy more 1911's, and maybe some cowbell.

Edited by JHatmaker
Guest TurboniumOxide

Hey Brother,

If you don't miss it, you don't need it. That said, get all of the above. I have a variety, and even though I have to repaint the sights every time I clean it I love my RIA 1911A1. Get a wolf recoil spring though.

HEY! It ain't ugly! :)

Guest tennesseevolz

Why don't you go try out a Taurus PT1911- this gun is loaded w/ most of the common upgrades that people do, and it will not break the bank- last I looked I believe you can get one for around $500.00--- check it out, decide what you like, and you can trade it off for your dream Colt, Hero-gun, Wilson Combat, or other 1911- GOOD LUCK!

Guest mikedwood

I got a Springfield GI 1911/A1 and plan to mess around and throw some upgrades on it but, it shoots very fine the way it is. It is uncomfortable as all get out to carry though. That darn hammer keeps poking my love handle on my right side.

Guest TurboniumOxide

It's a lot like buying a mustang. Except more complicated. Technology marches on and new designs fix "issues" or perceived weaknesses in the Excalibur-like design of the 1911. Any refinement whatsoever is simply to appease the panty-waisted.

EDIT: No offense intended to you dudes that wear panties. um, Carry ON.

Edited by TurboniumOxide
I did a lot of homework on this 1911 site first. Ended up with a Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail. Kind of the middle of a fairly wide price range.

1911Forum - Powered by vBulletin

I also had a RIA 1911 compact and great gun for the money. I too spent a lot of time on the 1911 forum's and bought a Dan Wesson PM7, this is and incredible gun and the CBOB is on my list for next gun, do some more research on the 1911 site to answer most of your questions..... COOP

Guest JustMyLuck

If I was looking for my 1st basic 1911 at a decent price.

I think I'd seriously look at Para Ordinance GI Expert .

Looks to be alot of good for the money.

JML

I think if I were you I would get a Kimber. Good middle of the road place to start. If you really like the platform, you won't be dissappointed and need to trade up. Just be sure to give it a 250-300 round break in. I also recommend wilson combat mags, I use nothing else. It is a sickness though.......

Guest grimel

A Springfield Mil-Spec is about the perfect starting point. Comes with decent sights and goes bang on demand. You can start screwing it up after you "know" the platform. Then you can start moving back toward the mil-spec with a few actual improvements on the basic design.

Or you can buy the base Springfield loaded. Not much needed or extra there.

Base gun plus a holster with a body shield (protects skin from hammer spur) will work a long time.

Guest HexHead
If I was looking for my 1st basic 1911 at a decent price.

I think I'd seriously look at Para Ordinance GI Expert .

Looks to be alot of good for the money.

JML

+1. It's a great value for the money. Or just get a Colt.

The Para Ordinance GI Expert, or an RIA tactical are both good starts and will do 97% of what the more expensive 1911's will do for you... can't believe I'm saying this, but the Taurus 1911's are pretty good too and have all the bells and whistles.

The next 3% will come down to what you like and how much you want to spend... I have a Wilson Combat CQB that isn't dramatically better in any real way than my old RIA tactical... but it sure cost more and gets more attention from 1911 aficionados... if I could do it over again I would have kept the RIA and bought a reloading press so I could shoot my .45's more...

Edited by CK1