Why do FFL's around Middle TN charge so much to do private transfers?

TMMT

Guest Todd@CIS
Hey at least some of them only charge for guns you purchased somewhere else. At least in my experience. I was shocked to see that one gun shop (to remain nameless) charges $50.00 + $10 TICS on in stock firearms. I can completely understand charging a fee for a gun that someone is having sent through the shop and you didnt make anything on it. You have to log it through your books etc etc. But on in stock guns, you already had to log it through your books so why are you charging. Reminds me of the "Dock fee" for cars, why pay that fee if the car is already sitting on the lot. Needless to say I wont be purchasing any more firearms there.

LOL, a rapestation like that shouldn't remain nameless...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive bought guns all over the state, and had good luck with all and bad experience with all. Bellshire Hardware is where I go when I buy from gun broker or online. I just dont have the money I used to. For example, wasr ak rifle, 439.00 from classicarms 18 dollars shipping, 25 to transfer. Total cost 482.00. Went into a shop last night same gun 565.00+tax and background. Total 631.00. The difference gets me a half a case of wolf.

Guest Gun Geek
LOL, a rapestation like that shouldn't remain nameless...

I know but... I think (could be mistaken) at one time or another they were a vendor here and dont want to upset anyone. But the sign is in plain black and white on their door.

• Administrator
I know but... I think (could be mistaken) at one time or another they were a vendor here and dont want to upset anyone. But the sign is in plain black and white on their door.

We don't protect our vendors from their own practices. If it's a problem to them, they shouldn't have that policy.

Guest Bronker
Yeah, makes me think of the famous JFK quote.

Unfortunately, too many people are asking what their government can do for them.

I also see it in my job...we actually had a person call the Police Dept (on 911) because they had a hornet's nest in their garage! Seriously, I see this kind of stuff ALL the time. I think most people would be shocked at the stupid s&^t we deal with.

Sad.

Yeah Todd, David said he didn't appreciate you making him do push-ups after you finished yelling at him about the wasps!

:rolleyes:

(Oh...I use a private FFL friend locally when the rare opportunity comes up to use one. Has cost me breakfast a few times, and a few housecalls. Barter, baby... except tax and TCIS)!

Guest Bronker
FYI ... "Pushups" is code for things that neither Todd or I can discuss on TGO. :rolleyes:

And I would never do anything to compromise your 'position.' (However disturbing that mere thought of what position he's had you in, might be...)

Yikes-o-rama!

Guest Gun Geek
We don't protect our vendors from their own practices. If it's a problem to them, they shouldn't have that policy.

In that case it was Coal Creek Armory. The sign is clear as day on their door. I did walk in and look around but I went elsewhere and bought two ruger .380s. Guess what there was no $50.00 transfer fee for an in stock firearm.

• 1 month later...
Saddle Shop in Triune (Nolensville Road & Highway 96) is $30 for a transfer...BUT additional guns on the same Form 4473 transferred at the same time are only $10 each. Plus they are good folks and a stocking/ordering dealer.

+10, I have done 3 with them, excellent people

In that case it was Coal Creek Armory. The sign is clear as day on their door. I did walk in and look around but I went elsewhere and bought two ruger .380s. Guess what there was no $50.00 transfer fee for an in stock firearm.

Are you saying Coal Creek charges a $50 FFL fee for in stock firearms??

Since you have logged off let me say this....

If you go into CCA and buy a gun they will not charge you a FFL transfer fee.

If you have a gun sent to them for transfer, it will cost $30.

If you have a gun sent to them for transfer that they stock, it will cost $50.

Saying anything else is just not true.

Again, Are you saying Coal Creek charges a $50 FFL fee for in stock firearms??

I think they are saying that CCA charges a 50.00 transfer fee for firearms that they stock, or normally stock.

ie: If you buy a Glock 27 from Buds or TopGlock, they will charge you 50.00 to transfer it.

Transfer fees (and sales in general) are not regulated by the U.S. Department of I Think My Dealer Is Mean, but by you, the consumer.

No dealer can MAKE you pay a transfer fee that you feel is too high.

Its your right and responsibility to let your pocketbook regulate those dealers that have poor services and/or practices.

We have beat this "how much should I pay for a transfer" subject to death.

The members of TGO have polled dealers and customers on this, and the average "acceptable" fee that should be charged for a transfer is;

25.00 + Tics

This is the number that most dealers use, and its the number that most customers have said they feel is acceptable.

If you find a guy willing to charge less, thank him.

If you find a guy wanting to charge more, perhaps continue your search.

Good luck!

**Shameless Plug: Hero-Gear charges 25.00 + Tax :hat:

For a change i am happy with $35, i feel it is reasonable. if you want high charges i suggest try FFL's in Ca. for person to person (both present) it is $35 maximum set by the state, i believe it is no charge here since you don't need to go to a FFL to sell your rifle to your brother. transfers from other FFL's is much much higher.