most popular handgun

Guest colrmccoll

Guest colrmccoll

What would you say is the most popular handgun?

I am looking to buy several for an investment. Buying several to keep in the safe to stay ahead of inflation.

Glocks, Sigs, Beretta?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

If you have to go Beretta, I would get the 92/96s with the thicker slides like my Elite II, so they can withstand high ammo cycling. Dunno about the others. My wife loves her Sig P239.

Colt branded 1911s? German Sigs?

Glocks have not changed prices much more than 5% in 5-10 years. Sigs keep going up, but with the CPO program, you can buy cheaper. Berettas have stayed about the same price as well I guess. Maybe even come down a little on the 92. HKs are very high as well, and while I think they are awesome, they are overpriced for me to begin with. I would be nervous unless you could find something at a realy good price.

I wish I had a tractor trailer load of the HK P7s and Sig P6s that Germany released a couple of years ago, but prices are still close to the same. You could have sold a lot of them though.

Guest colrmccoll

I was thinking a Glock but which model?

Remember this does not reflect current pricing or or how well they have maintained prices in the past; this is an inflation hedge.

Edited by colrmccoll
grammar

As a pure investment, I can't see you making any money with something like a glock. Generally, investment pieces are going to be something that is numbered in a special run or one offs. Something like the Camp Perry edition 1911 and M1A from Springfield Armory.

If you're looking for something that will appreciate in value, today's most popular handguns probably are not a safe bet. I define most popular as mass-produced, polymer semi-auto's (Glock, M&P's, SA XD's primarily).

You'll never get your money back out of them, unless I'm missing something.

1911's are a different matter. The dizzying array of what's available is mind boggling.

You're better of investing in a globally accepted commodity, like gold or silver, unless you want to get into collectable firearms - quality guns no longer produced that may or may not have historical significance.

Guest colrmccoll

I am thinking that the Obama dollar will do terrible things to our economy. So I am not looking for the regular investment options but things that would appreciate if the economy goes sour or if we went into a barter economy.

If I am wrong then I would rather eat the money I have invested but if right, then maybe I could feed my kids and grandkids.

R

Guest Muttling

Most popular doesn't mean best, but it typically means pretty danged good.

I will concur with previous posts that the Glocks, the 1911's, and the J-frames top the list. All are very good and all top the list of most popular for different reasons.

I am thinking that the Obama dollar will do terrible things to our economy. So I am not looking for the regular investment options but things that would appreciate if the economy goes sour or if we went into a barter economy.

If I am wrong then I would rather eat the money I have invested but if right, then maybe I could feed my kids and grandkids.

R

Before we see a meltdown that would be severe enough to actually turn the US into a total barter economy, we'll lose 50-75% of our population, so if one don't have a couple of years of survival goodies for all involved and a plan to protect them, one isn't likely to be around for whatever economy that does evolve.

But at that point, I'd imagine that entire guns would be generally too valuable for anything but huge deals. I'd think that ammunition might be more convenient, like doling out a dozen .22LR for food, etc.

But again, in another possible scenario, if truly TEOTWAWKI happened as quickly some project, there might actually be a glut of guns and ammo around.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest Matchguy

Well, if you're serious about subsisting in a barter economy in Tennessee, where money doesn't exactly grow on trees, then I would certainly stock up on some extremely durable working guns with good name recognition and a reputation for dollar value.....like the Ruger .22 auto and the Ruger .357 and .22 revolvers. In the center fire autos, I would probably go for the S&W M&P, because even the non-shooters are familiar with the S&W name but wouldn't know a Sig from a Mig...i.e. name recognition will be very important in trading a gun to a common man in a barter economy. For that reason, another good bet would be a reasonably priced basic 1911 platform because common folks are also familiar with that gun's power and reputation, and know darn well it will keep them safe.

These guns are economical to get into and are best sellers over a long period of time (M&P excepted). In a barter economy where guns will be traded to non-gun enthusiasts, snob appeal won't mean beans. Folks will want a gun they can depend on, can get for a reasonable trade, and which their uncle Elmer can tell them something about. My bet is that Uncle Elmer won't know zip about a Glock, CZ, FN, H&K, and so on.

High dollar guns won't help you subsist in a depression-economy in this state, IMHO. I'd go for the ones you will actually be able to trade when you need to put some beans on the table, and common Tennesseans generally prefer beans and taters to bells and whistles, if you git my drift. This is just how I would do it, so BIG IMHO's are in order here.

MG

SEECAMP ( if you can find any amounts of them)

The LWS 380 goes easy for 1000$ on places like Gunbroker right now. You can buy them direct around 750$ with a 2 year wait. And now they are not taking orders untill they get caught up and ammo shows up.

The LWS 32 has about a 5 month waiting period Direct is like 430$

Colt/Springfield/Kimber 1911, S&W PRE-lock revolvers, Colt/Ruger SA revolvers, pre-lock Marlin/Winchester lever actions, Belgum Brownings, and pre-64 Winchesters.

Guest HexHead
Before we see a meltdown that would be severe enough to actually turn the US into a total barter economy, we'll lose 50-75% of our population, so if one don't have a couple of years of survival goodies for all involved and a plan to protect them, one isn't likely to be around for whatever economy that does evolve.

But at that point, I'd imagine that entire guns would be generally too valuable for anything but huge deals. I'd think that ammunition might be more convenient, like doling out a dozen .22LR for food, etc.

But again, in another possible scenario, if truly TEOTWAWKI happened as quickly some project, there might actually be a glut of guns and ammo around.

- OS

Let's face it, if it's TEOTWAWKI, if you have guns, you probably won't need to barter for food. To quote Calvara, "If God did not want them to be shorn, he would not have made them sheep."

Liberals will finally be good for something.

I'm not sure of the actual numbers, Glocks may outsell many, but those who love their 1911 style pistols love them with an enthusiasm that is very emotional. Especially in America. Americans love Colt 1911 with a passion that exceeds the true value of that design. I think the design is a wonderful one, and I like mine, but I also admit that its one of those things right up there with Mom, apple pie and the American way! lol

Guest 70below

I would seriously consider buying a couple quality firearms that you will enjoy, and spend any addition money you have on any reasonably priced ammo you can get while its still available. 7.62x54r, 5.45x39, 7.62x25, 8mm, and any good prices on common calibers you stumble across.

Any weapon that is in actual use and current manufacture would be a bad bet for appreciation, value will stay about the same. Classics like Colt SAA, Lugers, Browning .380s, etc. will continue to grow in value. 1911s takes in over several million pistols all of different value. Historically the Colt manufactured and WWII issues will continue to grow in value but the knockoffs (probably much better weapons) will suffer from appreciation in value simply because they are "copies." Nobody will give you the same money for a Ruger Vacquero that he would for a real Colt SAA, but the Vacquero is undoubtedly the better gun if you need to carry and fire it in the field. It is the history, not the quality, that counts years later.

Look into discontinued lines that were around for a long time ( S&W K Frames, all Colt revolvers, etc.) Some of those will be desirable purchases for a long time.

Also, Obama will not be president forever and ten years from now when you need the money, there may be more than enough 1911 clones, S&W J Frames and Glocks around at less than you paid for your "investments." The market is fickle as are politics!

Most popular (now): Glocks overall and Glocks and J Frames for guns EDCd.

Edited by wjh2657
Guest Bluemax

For investment purposes any Colt, but preferably a Python, Diamondback or 1911, after that I would look at some high end Smiths such as a model 27 or 29. The main thing in buying a firearm for investment is to look for the best condition possible. strictly IMO of course

For investment purposes any Colt, but preferably a Python, Diamondback or 1911, after that I would look at some high end Smiths such as a model 27 or 29. The main thing in buying a firearm for investment is to look for the best condition possible. strictly IMO of course

Very sound advice!