The right pistol for me.

Kelemvor

I'm trying to decide on my first pistol and I need some help finding out what my options are as far as the different makers and models go.

I'm looking for these features:

DA/SA, Hammer Fired (DAO is okay I guess...)

Decocker (if DA/SA)

10 round + capacity

At least 9mm

Reputation for reliability

Reasonable price

I already know that I can get a USP that fits all of these criteria, just exploring my options.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If anything I said is incorrect or whatever, tell me, I don't wanna be the "clips and bullets" guy.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a look at the Taurus PT145. Its DA/SA striker, no decocker but 10+1 capacity, .45 ACP knockdown power in a small/light gun (23oz), its a 3rd generation gun so any reliability issues have been resolved and its priced less than $400 new. I think you can order it for left hand mag release.

Edited by TNTitan
Crap, I keep forgetting things. Anything that is ambidextrous or comes left handed is preferred as well. Also, thanks for the replies.

HK P30. 15+1 9mm, ambidextrous mag release on the trigger guard and ambidextrous slide release. V3 is DA/SA with a decocker. Three different sizes of grip side panels and backstraps, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a comfortable combination. Definitely worth looking into.

The sig sp2022 9mm is one of the best values out there for a great lightweight pistol. 15 round mags and a great trigger. I think cdnn has them for $439. It's a bit larger than the p6, but still compact and lightweight. The trigger is light years beyond the p6.

+1 You beat me to it! A great gun and priced right! Bud's also has had them for $439 shipped.

Guest buddysattva

You want the Stoeger Cougar, available in 9mm (15 +1 rds) or .40 S&W (11+1 rds). Stoeger is owned by Beretta, and manufactures on the original equipment that Beretta used while they were still marketing the Cougar under their own name. I own the Beretta Cougar 8040.

DA pull 9 lbs, SA pull 4 lbs. Hammer fired, ambidextrous safety also decocks, magazine release can be swapped over for lefties, and the rotating locking barrel sucks away half the recoil, allowing for quick follow-up shots.

This is not combat tupperware, it's an aluminum frame with all steel parts. Empty weight is roughly 2 lbs, so it's not uncomfortable to carry for long periods. I have big hands, and the trigger falls right at the crease of the first joint of my index finger. Sights are excellent.

Utterly reliable. 700 rds thru it without a single malfunction of any kind. Cold hammer forged barrel, which has an expected service life of 30k rds. Beretta has been making very good guns for a very long time, and although the NAME is Stoeger, the gun itself is a Beretta.

Accuracy is more than acceptable IMHO. Offhand at 20 yds I can still cover the group with my palm, excepting the occasional flyer, which is my fault, not the gun's.

Retails for right around $400.

BTW, it's also a little more concealable than USP or CZ75.

Guest bubruins

+1 on the USP. The USPc fits my hand better than the full size and I really like the 12 round tactical mags for the .40 s&w. I shot a friend of mines side by side w/ a G23 and it didn't take a whole lot of time for me to figure out what I wanted.

On a side note, I've never shot a Sig but after reading all of the reviews online (mostly on police forums w/ guys who have 10,000+ rounds down the pipe) I know that the USPc is the gun for me.

From what i hear you can't go wrong with the USP, but if you are looking for a gun that your not paying a few hundred dollars just for a name on it, try the FN FNP9/.40 or the CZ P07. They also come in a SA versions as well. I have had the FNP and it is a fantastic gun. I currently have the P07 and it is near perfect for my criteria. It replaced the G19's, Walther P99, 226, and every other gun I've tried.

Stoeger is owned by Beretta, and manufactures on the original equipment that Beretta used while they were still marketing the Cougar under their own name.

I believe Stoeger is part of Benelli Corporation, along with Uberti and Franchi. Stoeger bought the manufacturing rights when Berretta dropped the 8000 series a couple of years ago.

...but anyway...

The Cougar in 9mm is also a nice choice for CCW. The one my boy had a few years ago was 100x better than the Berretta PX4 he traded it for. (too stubby and had a hell of a muzzle flip.)

I believe Stoeger is part of Benelli Corporation, along with Uberti and Franchi. Stoeger bought the manufacturing rights when Berretta dropped the 8000 series a couple of years ago.

...but anyway...

The Cougar in 9mm is also a nice choice for CCW. The one my boy had a few years ago was 100x better than the Berretta PX4 he traded it for. (too stubby and had a hell of a muzzle flip.)

Yes and Yes. Stoeger is owned by Benelli. They did buy Berretta's manufactoring dies and machines and moved it all from Italy to Turkey. Essentially it is exactly the same as the Berretta made on the same machines just in a different location.