Snake killing law

What law (T.C.A. by title and paragraph) covers the killing of snakes? I have Googled and Yahood all over the place and I can't find it. I know there is a provision for killing venomous snakes on your own property but I need a copy of the actual law.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

The inclusion of the statement "from the wild" tells me that this statute really doesn't apply to what happens on your own property. I certainly would have no problem putting an end to any poisonous snake found in my own yard. I have the well being of my family and our dogs to be concerned with.

The inclusion of the statement "from the wild" tells me that this statute really doesn't apply to what happens on your own property. I certainly would have no problem putting an end to any poisonous snake found in my own yard. I have the well being of my family and our dogs to be concerned with.

TGO David answered for me. We, from time to time, get one in the garage or under the deck. Grandkids and pets to consider. Nowhere around close to catch and release to.

I didn't really post for a "license to kill" but just as an interest in some discussions elsewhere on forum. I like to know what the law actually says. Too many "It's the law" remarks around that I find are not the law!

I think if you killed a snake as in just killing them not protecting anything it would probably fall under cruelty to animals or something along that lines.

The forum has posted that there is a specific law, pertaining to snakes. I just can't find it. I am pretty sure it exists, but I need a reference.

Guest H0TSH0T

http://www.tennsnakes.org/

In Tennessee it is illegal to harm, kill, remove from the wild, or possess native snakes taken from the

wild without the proper permits. Please help the TWRA protect our native snakes.

the only legal way is if your life is in emanate danger or live stock is in emanate danger or in you home, other wise you can be fined arrested, and lose your guns, according to twra. the advice i revived in this matter is just leave them be, if it is a nuisance call twra or animal control. they will capture and relocate them, but you still have the right to defend your self but be ready to prove it if caught.

Edited by H0TSH0T

I think HOTSHOT is right.

When I search "snake" in the T.C.A. the only result is 39-17-101 which has to do with "snake handling"

70-4-102 says it is illegal to kill (among other things) any animal in the state except as set forth by Title 70 of the T.C.A. There is no hunting season for snakes listed.

39-14-205 has to do with the killing of an animal when comes to protecting you from harm or your life or the life of one of your animals.

Other than that I can't find anything directly on killing of snakes on your property.

Edited by Fallguy
I think HOTSHOT is right.

70-4-102 says it is illegal to kill (among other things) any animal in the state except as set forth by Title 70 of the T.C.A. There is no hunting season for sakes listed.

I think it may fall under this one.

Edited by Hunting101

So in all honesty if a snake is in your garage, you chop it's head off with the shovel, and bury it in the backyard what are the chances that you are going to undergo a criminal investigation?

I mean is the snake's wife going to call and say "My husband never came home last night." Then PD is going to canvas the neighborhood, until someone reports a snake's body found in abandoned lot, then a mismatched, but yet perfect for each other detective team shows up to drag wjh down to the station until he cracks and admits the murder? Then they take him into cuffs as Jeff Buckley sings "Hallelujah" in the background?

Guest Ghostrider

I have yet to see a snake in this country large enough to make me think GUN! first.

I think HOE first. I'd daresay the common garden hoe has laid waste to more snakes than any other single implement.

I'm a lot more tolerant of snakes than I am spiders. They die - period. :shrug:

Guest crotalus01

Best advice is to leave them alone. Most people who get bitten by venomous snakes get that way by trying to kill said snake. Also, the only venomous snakes in TN that are really a danger to human life are rattlers. Moccasin bites will send you to the hospital but wont kill you, and copperhead bites might warrant a visit to a minor emergency clinic (if that much).

Guest marine77
SNAKES OF TENNESSEE

In Tennessee it is illegal to harm, kill, remove from the wild, or possess native snakes taken from the

wild without the proper permits. Please help the TWRA protect our native snakes.

the only legal way is if your life is in emanate danger or live stock is in emanate danger or in you home, other wise you can be fined arrested, and lose your guns, according to twra. the advice i revived in this matter is just leave them be, if it is a nuisance call twra or animal control. they will capture and relocate them, but you still have the right to defend your self but be ready to prove it if caught.

lol....yeah, right. :D

I used to enjoy going to ponds and creeks to shoot snakes with friends. We would use shotguns, rifles, and handguns. A shotgun loaded with birdshot is a great snake killing gun. Smaller snakes just get blown apart. Like a lot of things in life, I just take care of business and go on and not worry about the technicalities...especially over a poisonous snake.

When i was 13 i got bit by a "moc" had to walk over 2 miles to get some help, all most died, took an hr. to get to the hospital. VERY painfull an scary for a 13 yr. old. I kill very poisoness snake I come near and have for the last 40 years. AND will contune to, shot 4 copperheads this summer on the riverbank, always carry a 38 with snake shot when fishing. I don't go look'n for them but if they come near bang there dead.

Guest GunTroll
I have yet to see a snake in this country large enough to make me think GUN! first.

I think HOE first. I'd daresay the common garden hoe has laid waste to more snakes than any other single implement.

I'm a lot more tolerant of snakes than I am spiders. They die - period. :screwy:

Thats good! Spiders beware! I'm with you on this one.