Ruger 10/22 Price?

Guest Drewsett

Guest Drewsett

I was just in Franklin Gun Shop looking at .22's. I was looking exclusively at used guns, I don't think a .22 needs to be NIB for my purposes (a little plinking and more importantly getting my wife interested in shooting). The staff was pretty helpful, albeit pushy. I was looking at a Marlin 60 that was 119, came with a 10 round mag, and was pre-drilled for a scope. The guy helping me told me I should stay away from the Marlin because their customer service is wishy-washy and that I should go with a 10/22 b/c Ruger has a lifetime warranty. He picked up one that was very clean, very nice, but 249. It seemed a little high to me especially because it was not pre-drilled for a scope and did not include a mag (unlike almost every other .22 on the rack). Is 249 way too much? What should I expect to pay for a decent 10/22?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All depends on which model it is.

The basic carbine with birch stock and one mag is $197 at WalMart or $199.99 at Dicks, it also comes with Weaver scope mount (which snobs say to throw away).

Some current 10/22 models list for up to about $450 MSRP.

I didn't realize that any 10/22's were made without scope receiver holes, though, maybe it's a really old one.

You could ask on rugerforums.com is you don't get the info you need here.

- OS

I must have just missed the drill holes for the scope. I'm very new at this whole buying guns thing so I apologize for my ignorance.

The 4 holes have place holding flush screws in them (or should), a quick glance might not notice them.

- OS

Last November I purchased the 10/22 special 22 inch barrel stainless at Wal Mart for a little over $220.00 if I remember right.has the nice checkered sporter type stock with a rubber butt pad.Thats pretty reasonable for a new Ruger.seems where your looking its a little high on the price.:rolleyes:

I personally like my 10/22, but my Marlin Model 60 has never failed me yet. The 60 will actually out shoot my 10/22. I have never personally had to deal with Marlin's customer service, but I bought a sig and there customer service sucks and blows.

My son has an old Marlin Bolt that I would put against any other plinker out there. Marlin makes good rifles IMHO. Don't get me wrong though. So does Ruger. But that extra $100 you will pay for it would purchase just about all the .22 ammo you'd ever care to shoot.

You know, the plastic stuff really isnt that bad.

You know this is true,I had read an article where they tested the polymer trigger group to the metal,the polymer actually stood up to abuse much better.The metal actually broke but the other wasnt effected in the tests.I believe they were doing a drop and break test.

You know this is true,I had read an article where they tested the polymer trigger group to the metal,the polymer actually stood up to abuse much better.The metal actually broke but the other wasnt effected in the tests.I believe they were doing a drop and break test.

The video is on Ruger's newly revamped site under the 10/22 section.

Ruger® 10/22 Carbine Autoloading Rifle Extras

They also did it for the GunBlast guy too:

- OS

I'm not at all surprised that aluminum is easier to bend or break when you drop it than plastic is. The question is, will the plastic hold critical tolerances after years of service?
I'm not at all surprised that aluminum is easier to bend or break when you drop it than plastic is. The question is, will the plastic hold critical tolerances after years of service?

What's "critical" in a trigger housing?'

All the internals (hammer. sear, springs, etc) are still metal.

- OS

What's "critical" in a trigger housing?'

All the internals (hammer. sear, springs, etc) are still metal.

- OS

What isn't critical about the trigger housing? There are lots of moving parts in the trigger group that rely heavily upon a couple of holes in a piece of plastic. They didn't make the trigger group and barrel band out of plastic to make them more durable or to improve function. They did it to increase profits. I'll admit that the new parts may be just fine though. I guess I'm just an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy.:D
What isn't critical about the trigger housing? There are lots of moving parts in the trigger group that rely heavily upon a couple of holes in a piece of plastic. They didn't make the trigger group and barrel band out of plastic to make them more durable or to improve function. They did it to increase profits. I'll admit that the new parts may be just fine though. I guess I'm just an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy.:D

Well, polymer is pretty well proven at this point, what with around 28 years worth of Glock lead technology experience with it.

I agree that Ruger did it for profit reasons, but the profit wasn't in the relative cost of metal vs. polymer, but more in the fact that the polymer is less labor intensive as can be made with more precision and no hands on finishing.

- OS

I agree that Ruger did it for profit reasons, but the profit wasn't in the relative cost of metal vs. polymer, but more in the fact that the polymer is less labor intensive as can be made with more precision and no hands on finishing.

- OS

Yes. I understand how that works. Also, Glocks suck.:D:hiding:
Well, polymer is pretty well proven at this point, what with around 28 years worth of Glock lead technology experience with it.

- OS

Here is the real scoop...as quoted

Ruger made the change because aluminum was wearing out moulds relatively quickly & making it harder to put out consistent specs.

Aluminum is mildly abrasive in pours, and in a four-cavity gang mould it was wearing individual cavities unevenly. That would get to the point where one or more cavities would begin to produce parts that were unacceptable, and then (since those moulds are not cheap) Ruger had to mark those individual cavities & not fill them until the other cavities reached a point where the entire mould could be disposed of. Running on a mix of moulds with one or more unusable cavities was an inefficient way to do business.

Like them or not, specs are more uniform in all critical areas & they are stronger.

Ever consider a Marlin 795? I got one for my son from Dick's back when they were $99. It takes 10 round magazines ($19.99 @ Gander Mountian) but the stock sights suck. I bought some tech sights for it and even he can shoot <2" groups @ 25 yards standing w/ GI sling.

100_1517-1.jpg

It comes with a blued finish. I parkerized the barrel and painted the reciever on this one b/c after we shot it in the rain the barrel rusted where it got scratched. (I'm not a fan of blued firearms)

The AR has a Tactical Solutions .22lr dedicated upper w/ a 1:16 twist 16" barrel.

Edited by LA_357SIG