SA EMP Won't Feed H.P.'s

My Springfield Armory EMP 9mm won't feed hollow points. Anyone know what I should do?

I bought this gun new and had numerous feeding issues with FMJ's until I got to around 200 rds. Then it magically started running perfectly...at least with FMJ's. During those first couple hundered rounds, it would jam at least once, and usually 2-3 times with each magazine. It was also hitting me in the head with the spent casings. Then, at right around the 200 mark, it began running flawlessly. It even stopped throwing the spent casings at my head.

During break in, I would shoot three mags full, then run a bore snake down the barrel and oil the slide grooves with Rem Oil. This was done all the way up to 300 rds. After shooting 100 flawless rounds, I figured she was good and broke in and ready for carry. I put the gun up, as I was waiting to receive my K&D holster before I started carrying it.

I got my K&D holster last week, so yesterday, since I was dressing nice to go out to Thanksgiving dinner with my family, I decided to carry the EMP for the first time. I loaded up three mags with Federal H.P.'s......these we in my "loose" pile, so I don't remember exactly what kind of Feds they are. They appear to be 124 gr., and they're either Hydra's or maybe HST's.

I put the mag into the gun with the slide locked back and then attempted to "slingshot" the slide, and the cartridge just stuck on the feed ramp and wouldn't feed into the chamber. So, I took that mag out and tried a different mag. This time I had the slide forward, inserted mag, then racked the slide back and let go. Same thing happened. I tried with all three mags numerous times. I even oiled the feed ramp. Same thing kept happening. The bullet would just stick on the feed ramp. I was intent on carrying my EMP in my new holster, so I loaded up with FMJ's which fed just fine and went on my way. Of course, throughout dinner, all I could think about was the fact that my awesome and beautiful little EMP would not feed hollow points! :D:hyper:

So what should I do? I've heard of polishing the feed ramp and have read of several ways to go about this myself. However, I don't know if I should attempt it or not. I don't want to mess up the factory warranty with Springfield by doing something to the gun myself. Should I just send it back to Springfield and let them go over it?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mama,

I would send it back to Springfield. Attempting to polish the feed-ramp when you are not familiar with it can be very bad. I hate to say this but that is what I hate about the so called Micro 1911's I do not like them when the slide is less than 4.25. The short cycle that the slide has is less than JMB designed, Having said that it sounds like a feed-ramp problem that you are having with the pistol and if you get a competent gunsmith to polish the feed ramp it would be better than sending it back to the factory. I am not sure if you are familiar with Greenbrier TN? (guns and Leather) But Jeff Wiley their gunsmith would be my recommendation :D

I have heard that Springfields service is top notch,I know its a lifetime warranty and they should be able to fix your feed problem.I have read on other forums that they are also relatively fast on the service end,sounds like around a 2 week wait and they should also pickup the tab for shipping.Also on a side note what type of magazines are you using,sometimes trying a Wilson magazine fixes some of the feeding problems,just a idea.I have several Wilsons and quite frankly use nothing but.

Mama,

I would send it back to Springfield. Attempting to polish the feed-ramp when you are not familiar with it can be very bad. I hate to say this but that is what I hate about the so called Micro 1911's I do not like them when the slide is less than 4.25. The short cycle that the slide has is less than JMB designed, Having said that it sounds like a feed-ramp problem that you are having with the pistol and if you get a competent gunsmith to polish the feed ramp it would be better than sending it back to the factory. I am not sure if you are familiar with Greenbrier TN? (guns and Leather) But Jeff Wiley their gunsmith would be my recommendation :D

Yeah, those carry versions of the 1911 are POS. BTW, I took my Colt Defender to Jeff when he was at Specialty Arms and he basically told me to get rid of the damned thing, which I did. Jeff does good work but only if he has a good weapon to work on.

Yeah, those carry versions of the 1911 are POS. BTW, I took my Colt Defender to Jeff when he was at Specialty Arms and he basically told me to get rid of the damned thing, which I did. Jeff does good work but only if he has a good weapon to work on.

I wouldnt say they are POS :D. But they are more particular about the ammo they shoot. She is fighting two battles, 1)the micro sized 1911 and 2)the 9mm caliber. I have never heard of a 9mm 1911 to run 100% with any ammo. That being said, I would try some other HP's to see if it runs any better with them. I would try Power Ball because they are made to run just like a FMJ but still expand like a HP. If this dosent work it would be going back to Springfield for them to look at.

I have heard that Springfields service is top notch,I know its a lifetime warranty and they should be able to fix your feed problem.I have read on other forums that they are also relatively fast on the service end,sounds like around a 2 week wait and they should also pickup the tab for shipping.Also on a side note what type of magazines are you using,sometimes trying a Wilson magazine fixes some of the feeding problems,just a idea.I have several Wilsons and quite frankly use nothing but.

If this was a .45 I would agree with trying the Wilson Combat however the 9 mill, the ETM's may be alright I know nothing about them but the 45's are rock solid reliable

Edited by willis68
Guest HexHead

Sounds exactly like the problems I had with the one I bought my wife. Actually, it was a used one, so I figured it had some rounds through it. Initially, the only problems I had with it were the cases hitting in the head (nothing like getting one caught between your eyelid and glasses) and the slide not locking back after the last shot. It went back to Springfield where they did their usual routine on it, polished feed ramp, throated chamber, tuned extractor etc. Now it wouldn't even feed hardball. I couldn't make it through a magazine without FTFs, FTEs, etc.

I ended up returning it and swapping it for a Para PDA for her instead. It too had some issues during the break in period (1st couple of hundred rounds), but it's reliable now. One thing about these really small 9mm 1911s, you really have to have a firm, high grip on them to get them to function properly.

They're all stock EMP mags, but they're actually made by Mec-Gar for Springfield Armory. I have never seen any EMP mags that are made by anyone else.

I really love this gun, but I sure don't want to be limited to a certain type of H.P. like Powerballs. It shoots so unbelievably sweet with FMJ's.......and is as accurate as the day is long.

Guest 70below

Try a couple rounds with a different feed profile, it may just be that HP design. Also, I'd recommend switching to a gun grease like Militec-1 on the slide. I've really become a big believer on grease as opposed to oil on slides, it really seems like is smooths out feeding on some pistols.

Based on what I've read on the Internets, this seems to be a very common issue with just about all short-barreled 1911's. I've always liked the idea of a compact 1911, but heard/read far too many similar stories.

As others have suggested, sending the EMP back to SA is probably a good idea, but I have a feeling you'll be getting rid of it anyway.

Guest HexHead
Based on what I've read on the Internets, this seems to be a very common issue with just about all short-barreled 1911's. I've always liked the idea of a compact 1911, but heard/read far too many similar stories.

As others have suggested, sending the EMP back to SA is probably a good idea, but I have a feeling you'll be getting rid of it anyway.

Not quite, my Colt New Agent has run 100% reliably right out of the box. Before I bought it, I did a lot of research on it, given all the reports of problems with similar sized Kimber Ultras. I probably read 60-80 pages on various forums, basically everything I could find on the internet about the New Agent and found only two posts regarding issues with them. And one of those two problems turned out being caused by the owner reassembling the pistol with the recoil spring in backwards after cleaning it.

The recent recall by Colt rectified that potential problem with a redesigned spring with both ends closed.

1. Send it back to SA.

2. Change lube. I like Gun Butter, FP 10, or synthetic motor oil.

3. Try Hornady xtp's and golden sabers....I have had much success with these profiles.

4. Does it do it with one less round in the mag?????? I'm betting not.

Most of the time this is a mag problem and can be cured with a wilson or a tripp mag. But that of course is not an option since no one really makes mags for them. This is why I never bought one. I've done the micro 1911 dance many, many times (but never didn't get one to run 100%).

Sending it back to springfield is your best bet right now. Just hope that the guy there is not a hack/new and does what needs done. Jeff Walle at G n L is probably a good bet for checking the ramp angle, polishing, throating etc if you want to pay for it locally. I wouldn't pay a cent as long as it is under warranty.

Guest landman08

I have the Emp 9mm. Bought it new and have run any and every type of round through it with out any problems at all.

I would call S.A., then send them the gun. I had an XD with odd wear on the barrel,after 7000+ rds through it. Sent it to them with a note about the wear and the # of rounds through it, they had it back to me in 10days, new barrel and other parts no cost.

The Emp is a great gun. I enjoy shooting it in IDPA. As a carry gun it is easy to forget I have it on. Good luck on getting it sorted out.

Ok, I just tried a different mag. I have seven mags total and four are brand new, never used. The original three that the gun came with are the ones I've shot it with. When I grabbed a different mag just now and loaded it with the same hollow points that I loaded it with yesterday, it worked. I kept trying and it failed on about the fifth try....then worked again a few more times after that.

I'm thinking it might be the mags. Some of the mags seem to be holding that last cartridge a a funny angle. Should I load up all of them and let them sit for a while? Maybe that will soften up the spring a little?

I will also try that milspec oil that was suggested. I've been wanting to try that stuff anyway. I'll probably send it back to Springfield eventually no matter what happens and let them polish the feed ramp and check it all out. Hopefully it will come back better than new.

both of our do not seem to like the large hollow points at top of the mag so we just changed brands with a smaller hollow point and no problems. we have ever had either one have a throw a spent case at our head.

great guns!

Yeah, these hollow points I have here have a super big hole in them. I thought about that as well. I'm going to experiment a little bit and see what I can do. I still think I'll send it back to Springfield just so they can polish the feed ramp and tune it up nice for me. It's not my EDC, so I don't really mind it being away for a bit.

My EMP .40 had a few FTF issues in the first 50 -100 rounds. Like yours, it has smoothed out now and runs very well. I use Win Ranger SXTs for carry ammo, and have never had an issue with feeding them. Have tried a few Fed HS (< 1 mag worth), and they did OK, but not enough for a meaningful test.

Put about 550 rounds through it in a recent class - the only issue arose with one particular magazine that would occasionally fail to slide lock on an empty mag. I did notice that it seems to fit a bit "looser" than the other two, so I've labelled it appropriately and am awaiting on delivery of some more.

Had similar experience with its cousin in .45. Break-in period was about 100 rounds...now, it feeds and shoots smooth as a baby's butt. It, too, eats Win Ranger SXTs like candy.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't had a chance to try any different ammo yet.....I've been out hunting every time I have some free time for the last three weeks. I do believe I could find some H.P's that would feed properly, but I don't really want to be limited to one or two types of ammo if I can help it.

My plan is to go ahead and send it back to Springfield after the first of the year. I have a couple "events" coming up for the holidays when I want to wear the EMP (basically so I can show it off at family functions!) Until I get the issue fixed, when I wear it I'll just use FMJ's......I know those are completely reliable in it.

I think it will be a good idea to go ahead and send it to Springfield. They can look it over, tune it up, polish the feed ramp, etc. Heck, from what I've heard, they might even send me a free mag or two for my troubles! :D

Guest HexHead
Heck, from what I've heard, they might even send me a free mag or two for my troubles! :up:

They didn't when I sent mine back to them. They didn't even replace the mags I sent in with it, considering one of my issues was it wasn't locking back after the last round.

Guest HexHead
Interesting this is the only time I have heard of springfield not standing behind a product. My xd was purchased through Davidsons (gun genie) it comes with a lifetime replacement warranty with them and a lifetime warranty with springfield. So, now I need to figure out who to call if it ever dookies itself.

I won't go so far as to say they wouldn't stand behind the product. They did all kinds of other stuff to the pistol. Just none of it fixed the problem I sent it back with and caused a bunch of new ones when I got it back.