What to do with my Sig P229?

Guest Star1021Scott

Guest Star1021Scott

Greetings all -

Recently i've been debating on whether I should purchase another firearm or trade up. Specifically i've been looking at an XD, mainly due to the desire of wanting a sub compact for carry purposes and it feels awesome in my hand. Even though the P229 is a compact, its slightly bulky to me.

The P229 is the first hangun i've ever owned and I purchased it when my daughter was born so I struggle with letting it go. It sure is a quality firearm.

So I guess my opinons at this point would be..

1. Trade Up - Buy the XD

2. Buy the XD - Sell the Sig

3. Save up buy the XD and keep the Sig.

Outside of having a firearm passed down through generations, has any struggled with letting one go for other reasons?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

#4 take the sig to the police gun buyback and use the $50 to pay the taxes on the xd.:rolleyes:

really i would choose #2 though #3 would be my choice in a perfect world.

To answer the second part of your question, there is not one gun that I've sold or traded that I wish I hadn't. If you were to get rid of the Sig and regret it then go buy another, it's not like you can't find them.

After reading the post after mine I've noticed that most everyone that is saying #3 has sold guns in the classifieds here which brings me back to #2.

Edited by brooksjr

Good choice going for XDsc.

I'd have to agree w/ the majority of the others here. If you are already this concerned KEEP IT! If you don't you'll regret it! (Just make sure to get your new XDsc chambered in the same round as the P229. Great not having MANY different rounds to keep seperate! (just my:2cents:)

Take window #3 or you will one day be posting to a thread that asks "what guns do you regret ever selling?" Your remorse could be sharp on both sides - selling a high quality gun that has increased in value AND selling the first handgun you ever owned!

You will not be trading up with the XDm, in my opinion. If you like the Sig then I would go with the Sig or another Sig to get what you want.

I had a XDm-40 and feel my Sig P239-40 is a much better firearm.

Exactly:)

Who said anything about XDm?? :koolaid: I see interest expressed in the XDsc?

Greetings all -

Recently i've been debating on whether I should purchase another firearm or trade up. Specifically i've been looking at an XD, mainly due to the desire of wanting a sub compact for carry purposes and it feels awesome in my hand. Even though the P229 is a compact, its slightly bulky to me.

The P229 is the first hangun i've ever owned and I purchased it when my daughter was born so I struggle with letting it go. It sure is a quality firearm.

So I guess my opinons at this point would be..

1. Trade Up - Buy the XD

2. Buy the XD - Sell the Sig

3. Save up buy the XD and keep the Sig.

Outside of having a firearm passed down through generations, has any struggled with letting one go for other reasons?

I agree with above in that you will not be trading up, BUT I also see that you are wanting XDsc for all the right reasons. Go for the sc IN ADDITION. I don't think you'll be disapointed, BUT as I said earlier....

Dont get rid of your SIG if its something you'll regret later. (which is how it sounds to me)

Dont forget, same chambering makes life MUCH easier :D

Still all just my ;)

Guest Star1021Scott

I don't think I mentioned it as "trading up" because i'm pretty sure my used Sig is worth more than a new XDsc...I could have been more clear with my intention. Regardless, you guys are right, i'm going to keep my Sig, and just purchase the XD. Thanks for all opinions.

Here's a couple of options for your Sig, if it feels a little chunky try the Hogue re checkered factory grips, I had them for my P229 and they really thin it out, you could also try a .357 barrel which you could find used from the Sig forums.... COOP

You will not be trading up with the XDm, in my opinion. If you like the Sig then I would go with the Sig or another Sig to get what you want.

I had a XDm-40 and feel my Sig P239-40 is a much better firearm.

XDm vs. Sig is a lateral move, yes, in terms of dollar value, reliability, etc. However, I own both of the above guns in 9mm, and while I really enjoy my P239, I love my XDm. Maybe it's just something about your first handgun, but if I could only take one to the range, it would always be the XDm.

/threadjack off

Edited by StPatrick
germane to topic, but not posted in reply to OP