coyote hunting

Guest Jcochran88

I am going to try get out and kill some yotes after christmas! I jave never called on my own, but got the randy anderson calling system from primos and my ar dialed in!

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, having never hunted Coyote (or much of anything else), why aren't larger calibers used? I totally understand the "save the pelt" calibers if you are looking to save the pelt, but if you're out to remove some varmints (and you aren't looking at making a 4-500 yard shot), why wouldn't a 30 caliber round work well?

I guess many are trying to get to a round that gives them the most performance for the least cost, especially if they can reload it. I'm hoping to find a .17 rem that does a great job on Yotes, according to the forums on the Internet. Anybody got one for sale? Why do they call it common sense, when it's so uncommon? TN Sen. Fred Thompson

I'd like to use my .223 contender with 14" bbl. Have used it to take a number of crows and groundhogs over the years. The thin jacketed bullets work great. Guessing the same load would work well for yotes. Saw one here a couple of months ago, man it was huge. Thought it was somebody's dog at first.

If you can get one to sit still long enough for you to take a bead it will work fine. I keep thinking about a 22 Hornet or 223 with a red dot/holo sight.

Ok, having never hunted Coyote (or much of anything else), why aren't larger calibers used? I totally understand the "save the pelt" calibers if you are looking to save the pelt, but if you're out to remove some varmints (and you aren't looking at making a 4-500 yard shot), why wouldn't a 30 caliber round work well?

Because a coyote is small and most 30 cal bullets are too toughly constructed. The 22 centerfires (and 17 and 20 and 14) are designed to blow up after minimal penetration. This also results in less chance of bouncing a bullet off a rock and it ending up in someone's livestock/house/body.

I've used an SKS before with HP's and 30-30 with 125gr HP. They work as do the .24 and .25 rifles. The 22's are cheaper, easier on the shoulder, very accurate, and in a repeater offer quicker follow ups if/when you call in a double/triple.

Guest dart67eb
Are you hunting public land?

Wolf River WMA so far. Tried 2 setups so far but nada. Seen some tracks but no yotes. The varmint al setup I have makes my dog come running and really freaks him out so I imagine it would work as advertised. I also made his shooting stick.

As far as your pelts go, tan your bobcat and coyote hides. In my opinion, there is nothing prettier than a bobcat hide displayed on your wall or end table. Coyote pelts look real nice layed across the back of the couch in your "guy room". You won't get much for your yote hides now days. I don't know about now, but you used to have to have a special permit to sell bobcat hides. Something to do with the overseas demand for bobcat hides.

Because a coyote is small and most 30 cal bullets are too toughly constructed. The 22 centerfires (and 17 and 20 and 14) are designed to blow up after minimal penetration. This also results in less chance of bouncing a bullet off a rock and it ending up in someone's livestock/house/body.

I've used an SKS before with HP's and 30-30 with 125gr HP. They work as do the .24 and .25 rifles. The 22's are cheaper, easier on the shoulder, very accurate, and in a repeater offer quicker follow ups if/when you call in a double/triple.

Ahhh, now I see. You're not looking for tons of penetration, just enough.

Thanks!!!!

Ahhh, now I see. You're not looking for tons of penetration, just enough.

Thanks!!!!

Actually ....

If you hit them properly, with a smaller caliber like a .204 or .223, and do so with the proper bullets ...

They sound like they're full of slush when you pick them up .... ;):D

i think i'm going to stick with 223 for the availablity of ammo and the price!

He awakens !!!

Just kidding ya. There's a LOT to be said for the 'ole 5.56 in terms of availability, dependability, and reliability. Hard caliber to beat for the use that you've got in mind.

A 17 would be neat, supposed to be a fairly quiet shooter. You'd also need a 17 cal. cleaning rod and stuff. At a buck fifty a shot, ouch.

I "think" you might be referring to the .17 Fireball. Whole different animal from the .17Rem

I've shot them on several occasions ... they're every bit as loud as a .223 or .204

I "think" you might be referring to the .17 Fireball. Whole different animal from the .17Rem

I've shot them on several occasions ... they're every bit as loud as a .223 or .204

There is little difference in the fireball and Rem, maybe 200fps. They are not quite by any measure!

Stopped by a gshop today and noticed they had a couple of boxes of 17 Rem. kinda pricey $30/box.

Whoa! Is this the going rate for .17 rem ammo? I'm interested in buying a .17 Rem rifle, but I'm not crazy about paying that kind of money for ammo. Might have to just stick with my .243.

Whoa! Is this the going rate for .17 rem ammo? I'm interested in buying a .17 Rem rifle, but I'm not crazy about paying that kind of money for ammo. Might have to just stick with my .243.

That's what I said. Stick with the 243 or a cheap 223 until you get hooked. Then look for something "better" and start reloading.

I have been building an AR in 5.56 for some time now. When I finally finish it, I'm looking forward to using it on some yotes. I am building it as a 16" bbl flat-top carbine. I plan to have a standard front sight with flip-up rear sight and scope with ring mounts. I also want a bipod.

I know there are better setups for a hunting AR, but mine will be multi-purpose (varmint hunter, plinker, home defender, just want it to look cool :D). I just hope that front sight doesn't get in the way of my scope.

What is the approx. effective range of .223 out of a 16" bbl AR-15 on coyote sized game?

I was out in Utah a few months ago and stopped by a local gun shop. They were advertising a varmint hunting contest for the upcoming weekend. A chuck contest I think they called it. He said they would probably have about 20 teams of shooters and biggest chuck would win the jackpot. The interesting part was that when I inquired about shooting distances, he said most wouldn't take shots any closer than 200 yds. (not sporting enough) that 400-500 was the norm. And I'm thinking, heck 200 yds. in TN is about tops!

For the most part farther than you will get a shot in Tn.:D

Good deal. I am new to the AR world (.223 for that matter) and hunting coyotes. I have access to hunt a farm that has three very large fields and a lot of thick woods. I like the way that guy on Predator Quest hunts them... rifle for the long shots and a 12ga for the close work.

Looks like something fun to do after deer / duck seasons close.

Here is my two cents about a coyote rifle/cartridge, The .222 remington. You can sometimes find a rifle for under $300 that will most likely be super accurate and if you look you can find ammo at reasonable prices. I know some people think the .222 is obsolete but i have killed bobcats and deer with mine and cannot recommend a better 200-250 yard varmint cartridge. And yes with Barnes 53 grain TSX works just fine for deer at under 100 yards, which is where most deer are killed anyway.