.223 for Coyote Hunting

I use a standard RRA rifle with Eotech and 55 grain PSP (pointed soft points) or 55 grain nosler partitions. Obviously I'm not shooting out past 100 yards but where I hunt them, I'm in wooded areas and usually rested in a tree stand. Bronker, you want 5 or 10 of them Noslers?

On a side note, one of the more memorable coyote shots and kills was when deer hunting. I was using a .340 Wby Mag that is now resting in another members safe (would like it back someday). Well Mr. Yote decides to take a stroll down the deer path I'm hunting over. This ticks me off so I decide he must not do so anymore. I give a stop call with him straight out in front of me, probably 25 yards. I center in on his front shoulder and touch off Armageddon in his time!!! It was a very frosty morning, probably 20 degrees and as I regain a sight picture through the scope all I see is a red cloud of mist quickly freezing and falling to the ground behind the now deceased and slightly tenderized yote. It had a strong visual component to it that you just don't see that often so it stands out to me.

Back to hunting yotes with something a little smaller

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, about 300 yards should be considered the maximum effective range of the .223 to ethically take a coyote (assuming good shot placement of course)? Does the bullet retain sutable energy at that distance?

Better question: Can you consistently make a killing shot on a coyote at anything over 300 yards? ;) Before you start hunting, you will (obviously) take your rifle to the range and determine it's ammunition likes and dislikes as well as get it sighted in. Do this: Zero it to hit 1.5" high at 100 yards, and then take it to the 300 yard line and see how many shots you can get in a 6" circle at 300. That will answer your question, I think. (Hint: You'll have to aim about 12" high at 300 yards)

RIGHTWINGER: You killed him though ... right? Never saw a coyote that I though was "TOO" dead, lol. :(

Edited by Hidalgo
I am also following these coyote threads. I am building a 5.56 AR carbine, and I plan to use it for yotes. Based on the info in some other threads, I think the .223 will be a great round for this purpose. Hopefully I'll have the remaining parts to finish my AR next week. :(

I just built the weasel ball decoy from Al's Varmint web site, but I still need to get a caller.

I just bought a FoxPro "Spitfire" at Dick's in Murfreesboro for $200. I havent had a chance to use it in the field yet. But, I took it out to my T-hangar at the Murfreesboro airport, which has some wooded areas on the east side. I've heard coyotes at early evening out there for years. I fired up the "coyote locator" sound and some of the others, including the pup coyote in distress. I either fired up the whole pack, or someone on the other side of the woods had the same "coyote locator" call going! They fired up once, and then went quiet... not another sound from them, even though I tried some of the "here's food" type sounds. The unit is sturdily built, and seems to have enough volume. Now, i need to convert my weasel ball, and figure out how to control it through the "Aux" button of my FoxPro Spitfire remote. If anyone knows how to do this, please post for those of us that are "electronically challenged"! Thanks

Guest Bronker
Better question: Can you consistently make a killing shot on a coyote at anything over 300 yards? :P Before you start hunting, you will (obviously) take your rifle to the range and determine it's ammunition likes and dislikes as well as get it sighted in. Do this: Zero it to hit 1.5" high at 100 yards, and then take it to the 300 yard line and see how many shots you can get in a 6" circle at 300. That will answer your question, I think. (Hint: You'll have to aim about 12" high at 300 yards)

RIGHTWINGER: You killed him though ... right? Never saw a coyote that I though was "TOO" dead, lol. :(

Now we've established ammuntion and platform (put aside individual skills and limitations)...

On to optics...

Better question: Can you consistently make a killing shot on a coyote at anything over 300 yards? :P Before you start hunting, you will (obviously) take your rifle to the range and determine it's ammunition likes and dislikes as well as get it sighted in. Do this: Zero it to hit 1.5" high at 100 yards, and then take it to the 300 yard line and see how many shots you can get in a 6" circle at 300. That will answer your question, I think. (Hint: You'll have to aim about 12" high at 300 yards)

I've never shot my AR because I am still building it, but I enjoy long-range shooting. My 1903 has "stretched it's legs" on long range deer in other states several times. I know my shooting skills are there, so I trust that I will be able to find out how far I can be accurate with an AR. I guess I was asking more about the ballistics of the .223 at 300yds+

Edited by Batman
Guest Bronker
just watched a guy on tv hit a light bulb with his ar in 223 at 400 yards. looked like he had an eotech on there. he missed the first shot but second got it.

Let me guess...was it this guy?

Grinning_Ape.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist!:D

Anybody been doing any "yote" hunting in the Middle Tennessee area lately? If so, how about some reports...and some pics too? Thanks

I probably won't be after the yotes specifically until after the deer and duck seasons close next month (too many animals to hunt... too little time:))

Looking forward to hunting coyotes, though...

I probably won't be after the yotes specifically until after the deer and duck seasons close next month (too many animals to hunt... too little time:))

Looking forward to hunting coyotes, though...

I know what you're saying Batman, and don't blame you. I don't personally have any "private land" to hunt deer on, and I'm afraid of getting shot on the WMAs around the Nashville area! So, I guess I'll just forfeit another deer season for safety peace of mind. Don't really have any place to hunt yotes on either...even though I've been offered a couple of places. I'll just have to scout them out, to see if there are any coyotes there to be hunted. Good luck on the deer and duck hunting. I guess I'll just have to settle for my memories of years long gone by! At this time in my life, I'll forgo pleasure for safety any day of the week!

Guest gcrookston

I've not hunted Coyotes in Tennessee, but have taken a few in Colorado and Louisiana with a 223/5.56 bolt gun and an HK93 at ranges out to 400 yrds.

I picked up a Bushmaster Varminteer last year with the plan of doing the same this summer in Eastern Colorado, but alas, neither time nor opportunity afforded me this luxury. Next year...

I've not hunted Coyotes in Tennessee, but have taken a few in Colorado and Louisiana with a 223/5.56 bolt gun and an HK93 at ranges out to 400 yrds.

I picked up a Bushmaster Varminteer last year with the plan of doing the same this summer in Eastern Colorado, but alas, neither time nor opportunity afforded me this luxury. Next year...

Glad to hear from ya. I got me an AR with a 20 inch barrel in 223 can't wait to kill some coyotes with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I found this to be very good info. In middle Tennessee, I'd be afraid to take a shot beyond 300 yards. God only knows where the bullet could wind up. I'm looking for a "yote" gun and I think Hidalgo sent me in the direction of the .223 I'm currently hunting them with bow and muzzleloader. I always enjoy my hunting "upclose". Going to try something a little different. Thanks for all the good info.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried to convert the ol' AK-47 to a good coyote gun by putting a .223 barrel on it? Is such a thing financially feasible? Anyone using one for hunting yotes? I was just thinking it should make a pretty good coyote gun. What do you guys think? What kind of accuracy and range could one expect from such a modification? Just trying to come up with a "cheap" yote gun for Middle Tennessee.

"To anger a Conservative, lie to him. To anger a Liberal, tell him the truth." Theodore Roosevelt

If your on the "cheap" mode of yote hunting, any .22 LR will work. A 10/22 or some other semi sighted in with a moderate scope will stlll do the job.

A single shot .223 or .243 would also be cost efficient. Being able to put the shot in the vitals is the important part.

Their Yotes, don't sweat it, knock em down.

If your on the "cheap" mode of yote hunting, any .22 LR will work. A 10/22 or some other semi sighted in with a moderate scope will stlll do the job.

A single shot .223 or .243 would also be cost efficient. Being able to put the shot in the vitals is the important part.

Their Yotes, don't sweat it, knock em down.

Rightwinger, my hands aren't quite so steady these days. I'd like to have at least one follow up shot, if possible. I watch the "pros' on the coyote hunting videos, and even they need a second shot pretty often! That's the reason I'm trying to find a Savage bolt action in .223, or a Savage combo 24 in .223/20Ga or .223/12Ga. Either should be within my budget these days. The AK was just a passing thought, as I see lots of yote hunters using the ARs. Thanks.