In case you didnt know it, we have a Gun Owners Tax in Tennessee!!!

In case you didnt know we are taxed here in Tennessee for being a gun owner. We have to pay a ridiculus $10 minimum fee every time we buy any new firearm. They call it a "TBI background check fee" but none of the other states that use the Federal NICS process has to pay a fee to do the same check thru FBI. So why do we as citizens? As citizens we were tricked into believing that this "$10 TBI fee" would only be in place until it paid for the TICS system, then would be lowered then go away. Well guess what... its still there!!! Why, because of greeeeed!!!!

Then we also have to pay a $.10 tax on every box of ammunition that we buy. Most people dont know, realize, and evidentially dont care this has been happening now for many years. What scares me is this, its allot easier to go up on something thats in place then it is to get it in place in the 1st place.

Its time to do something about it. Call your Senator and Representative and complain. Now I'll tell you what they are going to say. They will say "Budget this and that"... "We cant afford not to have those funds" ... and When they do you need to tell them the people of Tennessee can no longer afford to pay for their taxation without representation!!!

Wake up Tennesseans...

Merry Christmas!!!

and

DONT TREAD ON ME!!!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead
Don't have a problem with either, really.

I would like to see an exemption on the BG check in it';s entirety for HCP holdrs, though!

On the surface that sounds like a good idea, but the BC for the HCP is only done every four years. A lot can change in that period of time.

Guest HexHead
In case you didnt know we are taxed here in Tennessee for being a gun owner. We have to pay a ridiculus $10 minimum fee every time we buy any new firearm. They call it a "TBI background check fee" but none of the other states that use the Federal NICS process has to pay a fee to do the same check thru FBI. So why do we as citizens? As citizens we were tricked into believing that this "$10 TBI fee" would only be in place until it paid for the TICS system, then would be lowered then go away. Well guess what... its still there!!! Why, because of greeeeed!!!!

Doesn't the TN system also check if a gun is stolen when the NICS check is run? I don't believe most other states do that?

Guest mikedwood
Doesn't the TN system also check if a gun is stolen when the NICS check is run? I don't believe most other states do that?

I'm wondering this too now. I saw some FBI stats and the numbers on recovered stolen firearms were higher in Tennessee than every other state in the nation combined. I am so curious as to why that is.

I'm wondering this too now. I saw some FBI stats and the numbers on recovered stolen firearms were higher in Tennessee than every other state in the nation combined. I am so curious as to why that is.

I'm curious too, any ideas Phillip? As far as the "tax", it's typicall. Always alot harder to ween ourselves than it was to initiate a dedicated tax.

Its time to do something about it. Call your Senator and Representative and complain. Now I'll tell you what they are going to say. They will say "Budget this and that"... "We cant afford not to have those funds" ... and When they do you need to tell them the people of Tennessee can no longer afford to pay for their taxation without representation!!!

Wake up Tennesseans...

We also pay some of the highest sales tax in the nation.

But hey… Government needs X amount of dollars. That is not going to go down it is only going to go up. Obama is getting ready to get real deep into your pockets.

So it just depends on where the money comes from. state income tax or a raise in property taxes are the only alternative the government will look at.

We need smaller more efficient government. But of course the government officials will not allow that to happen.

Or… we need our manufacturing base back to pay the bills. But the American people apparently don’t want that.

we got many different taxes that we pay here in tn. some we know and see, some we don't. it is good we don't have a state income tax, but we make it up in other taxes. i am a fair tax person. but we will never see it, because it takes away power from the government. but before it is all over we will not have anything anyway. how that hope and change working out for you?

I knew about the ammo tax. If it specifically goes to the TWRA I don't mind it, but if it goes into the general fund and part of it goes to TWRA I have a problem with it. No tax is ever going to be fair. Sales tax is as close as it gets but it needs to be limited all the way down to the local level. The way municipalities have around property tax increases are valuation increases and it's garbage when they determine what your property is worth. You have to put your hands around their necks to limit government.

I guess I didn't really think about the NICS fee. I thought the FFL just charged what he could get for a transfer. I don't like that, either.

Guest bkelm18
If you do something bad, you loose your permit, thus voiding your BGC exemption.

But as well all know, the system isn't perfect and people who really shouldn't have an HCP do and there are people who technically should have had their HCP revoked but never did.

But as well all know, the system isn't perfect and people who really shouldn't have an HCP do and there are people who technically should have had their HCP revoked but never did.

And the chance that said violation will pop up on the current check when they purchase a firearm?

So we all have to pay a $10 tax, and waste our time and money (because the wasted time of the FFL gets passed on to us as well)... To stop a couple of criminals who happen to still have a valid HCP from buying a firearm?

Yeah that seems like a great deal where do I sign up?

It is already against the law for felons to posess a fire arm. so what is the purpose of any background check? Lets just keep writing redundant laws. It doesnt matter how many legal owners are checked, the criminals will still get guns. They won't go thru any background check. The constitution, specifically the 2nd am, does not mention background checks. Nor does it or the 10th mention that firearms are the states responsiblity. both say "people" not state.

background checks are just a way of big gov to see what we are doing and for TN to get a few extra dollars. It serves no purpose since there are other laws.

The background checks only slow down law abiding citizens in their pursuit of their right. This is gun control.

How can we have the right to "bear" given to us in the 2nd and god, when we have to ask permission again from the state. It sounds like they define right as privelege.

AFAIK the TICS/NICS check is on you, not the firearm.

One reason it is $10 whether you are buying 1 or 15 firearms, as long as it as at the same time.

It is already against the law for felons to posess a fire arm. so what is the purpose of any background check?....

Without the background checks will allow illegal purchases at a gun store for someone that would be rejected during the background check. Since we have background checks, illegal purchasers have to resort to going to gun shows, buying from private sellers or commit burglary at a home that has gun(s) to get a firearm.

I want to make it harder for illegal gun purchases and the background checks accomplish that goal which is not a waste of money.

Edited by threeshot
Fix grammar error
AFAIK the TICS/NICS check is on you, not the firearm.

TICS also checks for stolen firearms. The make/model/caliber/serial number of the firearm are entered into the TICS system at the time of purchase. Every once in a while, you actually get a stolen hit.

Edited by Reservoir Dog

I hate to break it to ya'll but when you look at the totality of gun ownership in this so called "gun friendly" state its way more expensive than $10 for the TBI check.

To be completely honest with yourselves, you gotta add in the ridiculous fee for the HCP permit as well as the cost of the mandatory training course.

I think you guys are justified in fussing about the fee... tax. But you should be flat out steaming mad about how much you pay to the state so you can be given permission to exercise your constitutional rights.

Without the permit (aka states permission) you can't even keep a loaded gun in your car or truck. That's absurd in any state, let alone a southern state.

Thats the real outrage.

[QUOTE=Reservoir Dog;420934]TICS also checks for stolen firearms. The make/model/caliber/serial number of the firearm are entered into the TICS system at the time of purchase. Every once in a while, you actually get a stolen hit.

Where?? Every time I've had a TICS run there was no information on the firearm submitted. I was also told I could add additional guns to that approval within 24 hrs, without another check.

Was I misled on this?