Dremel for use on guns?

Guest peacexxl

Guest peacexxl

Wifey has been good to me again (I'm starting to think she likes me or something). Got home a couple days ago and found that she'd ordered me a Dremel 4000 and an accessory kit from Amazon.com.

Does anyone use this tool to work on guns? Detail cleaning or just regular basis cleaning, polishing parts, anything like that or do you think it might be to powerful to risk on some delicate parts?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 70below

You have to be EXTREMELY careful, but you can use them. Use low speed (which really is too fast most of the time) and use accessories that aren't too aggressive.

Guest jackdm3

My father did that to his PPK to grind off the sharp edges and take the grooves off the trigger. It's a stainless model. Despite his eye for detail, you see swirlies all over it.

I use mine with felt to polish only...ramps, burrs and so on where a regular buffer would not fit.

Flitz + felt wheel + dremel is the best tool made for this.

Since the mantra is "easy to take off but hard to put back" applies with guns also...I wouldn't use it for anything else. They just spin way too fast. If you don't use good goggles you will (not might - will) sustain an eye injury sooner or later.

Guest Fenris

I used it on a .357 Colt King Cobra that had been through a fire. There were already some dings and I was just trying to polish. I would strongly suggest the variable speed foot pedal they make as an attachment so you can control the speed like a sewing machine.

Use polishing cloths/brushes only.

I wouldn't use it on a gun that still had a great finish.

I just had a brainstorm (thanks to a little fertilization from the last few posts). I have some brand-new FAL mags that won't feed reliably, which I think is due to burrs on the lips. I was using a round file to de-burr the mags, but a Dremel should be a lot faster and easier.

I use mine with felt to polish only...ramps, burrs and so on where a regular buffer would not fit.

Flitz + felt wheel + dremel is the best tool made for this.

Since the mantra is "easy to take off but hard to put back" applies with guns also...I wouldn't use it for anything else. They just spin way too fast. If you don't use good goggles you will (not might - will) sustain an eye injury sooner or later.

+1

I've used a Dremmel on Saiga conversions and polishing feed ramps on Hi-Powers, but I wouldn't use them for routing cleaning.

Kinda like using a flame thrower to start a camp fire. It's really cool until you realize not only did you start the camp fire but also burned down half the forest.:)

My father did that to his PPK to grind off the sharp edges and take the grooves off the trigger. It's a stainless model. Despite his eye for detail, you see swirlies all over it.

Use some jewelers rouge to remedy that, preferably with a buffer.... but a Dremel would work too, I guess :)

I recently got a dremel and one of the polishing kits. I was thinking of using the polishing compound that comes with the kit and a felt wheel to polish the feed ramp on my EMP (it doesn't feed certain hollow points very well). Should I scrap this idea?

Also, I've looked at Walmart, Lowes, & Home Depot and when I ask for "Flitz" I just get a strange look and no one seems to have ever heard of it. Where can I get this stuff? (Besides the internet)

Should I scrap this idea?

Yes.

If the feed ramp is the problem, it is because of the finish or the shape. I doubt your EMP has a rough finish, does it? If it does I would use Happich Simichrome on a gun patch using your finger to polish. You should be able to find it at a local motorcycle shop; our Harley dealer carries it.

If it won’t feed one type on ammo very well it is probably shape; either don’t use that ammo or send it back to the factory for rework.

Dremel tools spin fast and will remove material even with polishing compound. Not something you want on a feed ramp.

Yes.

If the feed ramp is the problem, it is because of the finish or the shape. I doubt your EMP has a rough finish, does it? If it does I would use Happich Simichrome on a gun patch using your finger to polish. You should be able to find it at a local motorcycle shop; our Harley dealer carries it.

If it won’t feed one type on ammo very well it is probably shape; either don’t use that ammo or send it back to the factory for rework.

Dremel tools spin fast and will remove material even with polishing compound. Not something you want on a feed ramp.

Hmmm. So I shouldn't even use Flitz and polish it by hand?

I can go to Colbach Harley Davidson in Morristown and look for the stuff you mentioned next week. Thanks for the tips!

I recently got a dremel and one of the polishing kits. I was thinking of using the polishing compound that comes with the kit

(Besides the internet)

you can use it but it wont do much...that is jewelers rouge.....extremely fine stuff...get stainless steel polish,its white and works excellent for polishing feed ramps