New Lifestyle/Weight Challenge

Okay - here at work we are implementing a Walk Across America to get people in better shape.

What say we start a new Tubby Challenge/Lifestyle Challenge.

The start date at the office is 1/25.

No prizes, only the fact that you are healthier.

How about we start that day w/ posting measurements weight (if you want to) and pick an end date of July 1 to see where everyone is?

You up for it.

I will work harder this time.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

This stubborn pinch-an-inch won't dissolve. I watch my flour intake and I don't drink my calories. Any suggestions? I've always had it, at least since H.S.

004-1.jpg

This stubborn pinch-an-inch won't dissolve. I watch my flour intake and I don't drink my calories. Any suggestions? I've always had it, at least since H.S.

004-1.jpg

There is no such thing as spot reduction. To get rid of love handles, pooching guts, etc you have to reduce your overall bodyfat level. Some places, on men the areas I listed above, are really difficult lean out, but overall it is bodyfat as a totality.

The most effective ways to reduce this fat is two fold, diet and exercise, obvious but in more specifics. To rid yourself of the last remnants of fat your diet has to be fairly specific. Cut back on the insulin producing carbs, sticking mainly to whole grains and oatmeal. Other carbs should come from plenty of veggies and salads. Many people, me included, find it easiest to get these types of carbs before noon.

You will need to keep protein high in conjunction with exercise. Lean meats, eggs, egg whites (you can now get egg whites in a carton), and protein powder (stay away from the protein bars). Fats are important. The best sources of fat besides the remnants you will get in meat are best from things like nuts such as natural peanut and almond butter.

I use a 40/30/30 Protein, carbs, fat profile. Some have to tweak that a bit. Also play with calorie intake. Figure out your basal metabolic rate, google it there's plenty of info, and then lower your cal intake by 500-700 a day. If you do it right, especially as lean as you seem to be, you should lose about 2 lbs a week. I personally alter my cal intake every 3 days going low, medium, high. Every coupe of weeks I will have some sort of cheat meal, one meal. Remember it is harder to take off those last few pounds than it takes to lose initial pounds when you are very overweight. You have to be stricter if you serious about doing it, because most eople are trying to get off some fat, you are trying to lean out and get rid of fat remnants.

Obviously the second aspect of the program is exercise. There so many choices that it can be mind boggling, but in the end it is boiled down to this, increase heart rate, sucking in more oxygen. That is what burns fat. 30-45 minutes, 3-4 times a week. Alternately a couple of those days try high intensity interval training. To do this incorporate 30 seconds to 1 minute every 3-4 minutes where you are moving much faster than the usual pace where you get your heart rate moving much faster. I am assuming you are healthy. Don't do this type of cardio in successive days.

The second part of exercise is the need to increase muscle mass. Muscle increases metabolic rate and burns more cals than fat does. The more muscle you have the easier it is to get lean and the easier it is to stay lean. Incorporate both slow paced heavier weights, and lighter weights done in a very fast paced workout where it is almost like a cardio workout itself.

Right after college at the urging of my college strength coach I got certified as a strength coach. I never really used it to make a living, but did compete as a bodybuilder and powerlifter for several years. About 4 years ago I let myself go and started drinking beer again and eating like crap. I travel a lot and used it as an excuse to get lazy.

Last March I got fed up and approached a friend of mine about helping me out. He still coaches world class bodybuilders and athletes. I asked him to tweak what I had done years ago with new ideas on calorie balances etc. Since then I have lost 80 pounds, leaned out to about 13% bodyfat and still dropping, and have tons of strength and energy. I was to the point of having a hard time doing my hunts and it sucked. I am now back to mountain and other tough hunts. It is well worth it to all of you seeking to lose fat. Quality of life is so important. Don't let bad past habits keep you from really enjoying things you like especially if you are into tactical shooting or hunting the tough hunt.

Keep the goal in mind always and keep your mind focused and upbeat, slip ups happen to everybody. Don't let them be an excuse to quit. Look on the internet for sites that have pics and stories of great successes. And go at your own pace, it is a marathon, not a sprint.

Here's one for you

**Transformations from FAT to FIT** - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Best of luck to you guys. :tough:

Edited by Warbird
Guest jackdm3

The best answer I could imagine. YOU WIN THE INTERNET when Punisher is done with it! The three photos of the guy going from fat to fit shows that little bit of tissue on his lower ab like mine. I'm going for my fat check at the Y soon. I'm 5'9", 174 and workout m/w/f for 45 mins. minimum. I quess the holdup is that my condition of MS won't allow me to go too far into cardio without getting dizzy and going to sleep. Hence, less fat burn. It's a constant balancing act. Thanks for the post!

OT, but experts are in the thread: I have torn the labrum in my left hip. It will be late Feb. before I can have it scoped. Can you think of any reason why light cardio on an elliptical would be a problem physiologically? I need to find a way to be active, since I won't be able to resume full-on "athletic" activity until June.

Key points: 1. I can't do anything where my toes don't point forward, nor where there is twisting and loading of the hip joint, without pain. 2. I can hear myself getting fat and slow, so I need to find a way to move soon. I have yet to find it, so please leave a comment if you have some knowledge.

An eliptical shouldn't hurt you. They were designed for these kinds of things.

Though I highly recommend you talk to your Orthopedic Surgeon to make sure it's okay to do so.

And as always start slow, don't just go running at it. Find you're tolerance level and stick with it.

And I'm in. Don't really need to lose any weight, just need to burn off this beer gut that I have developed. That and I need to get my lazy ass back in shape. Ran two miles today, at 10 minute miles. I was smoked. Anger towards my inability to do basic things like run is definitely good motivation to get back out and do it some more.

Good posts, I'm not in for the weight challenge, I'm toward the end of my journey (getting down to my goal weight that is). I started September of 2008, and have dropped about 20-25 lbs at one point. I was at 185 (5'9"), I got down to 160, my goal range was 160-165. This morning I was at 166, I've lost 2lbs this week just by eating better.

Like I mentioned, I hurt my leg when I ran my first half marathon in December with a time of 2:05. I haven't run since, I have only eaten like a pig! I developed a pretty severe shin splint on the inside of my right leg, which is not the most common place to develop one, usually it is on the outside. Thought it was a stress fracture at first, it hurt enough I went to see a Ortho doc. Anyway, I'm itching to get back to running, but know that I cant. It is hurting some of my other goals, I would like to get between 155-160 for my weight range, and I want to start running more 5K's and 10K's and more cross country trail running. Our Church and School have a 5K, usually in April, I would like to run it, my goal time would be 25 minutes or less. I was on track for that until this injury. I plan on to start back running in the next two weeks, my shin still hurts a little, but is better. Might just have to deal with some pain, stretch it, strengthen it, ice it, and keep on going. Might ride my mountain bike some, which I want to start anyway.

The belly fat, that has been my problem area, eating right and cardio, helped my beer belly out. I didn't have a "6 pack" ripped abs, but the belly and love handles were mostly gone. I have gotten a little of it back.

So, I'm ready to get back to it, just a little rant.

Guest mustangdave
OT, but experts are in the thread: I have torn the labrum in my left hip. It will be late Feb. before I can have it scoped. Can you think of any reason why light cardio on an elliptical would be a problem physiologically? I need to find a way to be active, since I won't be able to resume full-on "athletic" activity until June.

Key points: 1. I can't do anything where my toes don't point forward, nor where there is twisting and loading of the hip joint, without pain. 2. I can hear myself getting fat and slow, so I need to find a way to move soon. I have yet to find it, so please leave a comment if you have some knowledge.

What about SWIMMING? Doing laps...not floating with the kiddies.

• 2 weeks later...

I lost about 50 lbs 2 years ago mostly by walking (4 miles a day) and eating better. Oct of '08 I developed tendinitis in my left knee and couldn't walk without pain. I put a lot of it back on and need to do something to take it back off. Count me in.

I'm in. I was already a tub o' lard, then quit smoking 4 months ago. Now I'm just ridiculously swolled-up.

Mac

Official weigh-in this morning: 251. Should be 175. This is gonna be fun..... ugh.

Edited by McAllyn
weigh-in info
Count me in...........enough is enough.

I am currently (bad connection)............my goal is 200.

Holy crap, I think I burned about 100 calories laughing at this!!

Yeah I went from 209 in shape pounds ready for the police academy to 235 after my motorcycle wreck a year ago! This will help me. Mine is mostly mental and carbs.:tough:

Working nights has been tough on eating consistently and correctly. I find myself eating heavy for convenience and the quick energy bump. Anyone work a night schedule have any suggestions?