Suggestions for 22lr

sigmtnman

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would look for a used Ruger Standard/MKI/II/III for her. 200 bucks will buy one in great shape and other than being a pain to field strip the first time, they are fantastic little weapons. I have a Standard model and it shoots great and is what I use to teach people how to shoot. You can also pick up the Beretta NEOS for around 250 used and I have heard good things about those as well.

Beretta Neos. Cheap, accurate, and reliable. Hold one before you buy it because the grip angle is funky, but that design is rock solid. It's been manufactured before as the High Standard Duramatic and Colt .22/Cadet. I had a Cadet, and it would not jam, ever. I never cleaned it either. Same exact gun, even uses the same magazines. Well, I take that back: the Neos has a built in rail so you can mount optics, while the Cadet did not.

Buckmark and Ruger Mark I/II/III are also very standard and reliable options. I like the Neos because it's cheaper and, in my experience, just as reliable.

Take your wife to a few gun shops around town. Let her try the feel of various .22lr handguns to see what she likes. She may like a Ruger 22/45, or a Browning Buckmark, or a Walther P22. She may decide she loves a S&W 617, in which case get ready to bite your wallet hard. :koolaid:

Bottom line: if it's for her, let her decide what fits her best.

They are all so good now it probably sage advice to pick one that fits her hand the best.

+ 1 on the Neos because it fits smaller hands and you can add colored panels to the grips...red, blue, pink.

They have the best iron sights I have ever used on a production .22 pistol.

I'm with Eddie, Ruger probably has the most to offer in a basic, dead reliable .22. Their Mark III's run anywhere from $280 to $500 for the fancier models. The Beretta Neos are fun to shoot and are usually the least expensive coming in around $250 or less. Then there's the Sig Mosquito that retails around $350 and the Walther P22 that is usually less than $400, Both are fun to shoot and have small grips that are perfect for the ladies. I'm hoping My next 22 pistol will be a Browning Buck Mark Bullseye but that is another thread......

Thanks guys. I am really wanting one that will be for anyone to shoot, including myself. This would not be "her" gun, but just to introduce her safety and shooting. That said, I do see where it fitting her specifically will make it more enjoyable for her...

Guest Orionsic

Ruger is the choice. Read up google. The perfect gun to practice the fundamentals of shooting. You can probably find a used Ruger MK II for about $200 on gunbroker.

Widely accepted as the best choice for a beginner.

Guest 10mm4me

Walther P22.I have about 1500+ rds through mine and have never had a single malfunction.It is DA/SA, has a manual safety, interchangeable backstraps,available in a wide variety of colors and finishes,it actually looks like a real handgun not like some of these other .22's.You or her could carry it if you wanted, not my first choice, but loaded w/CCI segmented HP's it is a deadly carry gun.Super lightweight and all that for only about $300.

Guest Dean Wormer

Have you considered a .22lr adapter/conversion kit for one of your guns? Various companies make them. Off the top of my head, they can be had for: SIG, CZ, GLOCK, 1911s, Beretta 92, BHPs and others

So many choices.

You got that right. There are a gazillion .22 lr choices, and that's why I really like them and also why you should be very picky. For a first pistol, I think you should go cheap until you really know what you want. Waving a pistol around in a gun shop without shooting it doesn't really tell you much, especially if you're brand new to it all.

If you're in the area, Guns and Leather in Greenbrier has an excellent array of .22's for you to try. Rugers, Buckmarks, P22, Neos, and I think I saw a Sig Mosquito there once with a silencer. Just be aware that they're used quite a lot, and some are very dirty and any jams shouldn't be necessarily blamed on the design. Once or twice when I rented the sights weren't set correctly on the pistols either, Like way way way off to one side. I'm guessing the fault of some piss poor shooter before me or the pistol being dropped on the sights or something.

I currently have my sights set on a new Chiappa 1911 .22 pistol. Version 1.0 buying is pretty stupid, but it's had some pretty stellar reviews online. Looks like a solid pistol.

Guest mn32768
Walther P22.I have about 1500+ rds through mine and have never had a single malfunction.

My first handgun was a P22 (still have it, ~4000 rounds through). It's been super reliable with CCI ammo and fun to shoot, but I would not recommend it for a first handgun.

The P22 does not have a decocker lever, and the only way to decock is to have a magazine inserted, press the hammer with your thumb, squeeze the trigger and slowly let the hammer down. This is a safe operation IF the safety is on, but IMO there are far too many "moving parts" to remember for a newbie. It's a ND waiting to happen.

SavageSig, I have had my eyes on that same one. I am just waiting for them to work the kinks out just like the P22, which I also thought I'd comment my wife has and loves.

If it were me id look at the ruger mark series... but if it is for her and you want her to enjoy shooting let her pick what feels best in her hands.

I have a Ruger Mk III that my girlfriend took her carry test with. The only problem for her is that it was too heavy for her to shoot much with out getting tired of holding it up. I never thought about this, but for a small lady, I guess it is kinda heavy holding it out there. If you go with the Ruger, you might should think about getting the tapered barrel rather than the bull barrel. I really like my Ruger, but my girlfriend likes her friend's Walther P22 better because of the weight issue.