Advice on a 9mm for dual purpose.

Guest Boogieman

O I love my p95 DC above poster is right about the couple of variations. . .Mine is not the double action only model ( and I dont recommend those) . . .and i love it love it love. . .i have ran over 1200 flawless rounds through. . .most wwb but about 500 rounds have been 9bple +p+. . .just stock gun is more than accurate enough. .in rapid fire can put all 16 in a spot about the size of your fist up at coal creek at the 7 yard mark . .thats all you will ever need. . gun comes apart super easy for cleaning with no tools... I know people spend big money on high dollar pistols.. and God bless them... but I guarantee you my friend the bad guy on the business end of a properly handled p95 will be just as fubar as he would be on the business end of some $1000 2nd child-hood wet dream safe queen . . .

Edited by turkeydad
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Boogieman

The more I look into this gun the more I like it. I've not heard or seen anything bad as far as build or performance. Its a bit chunky for CC but with my body type I think it'll be a nice fit. The DA/SA model is what I've been checking out at the local gun shop. Thats one of the reasons I'm looking at this gun is that it is NOT DAO. I dont think I'd really care much for a DAO piece and going on advice from my dad I'm steering clear of them. Hoping to find one lightly used to save a few bucks for ammo and a nice holster. I've heard that resale on them is in the dumps but if everything I've read and heard about is true I dont have any idea as to why I'd want to part with it anyway.

the problem is the $$$. you need to save up some more and get a glock 19. the g19 is an all around gun. fun at the range and great for carry.

Heh, funny thing - I personally hate Glocks because I have never held one that felt right in my hand or shot one that felt right when shooting it. I wouldn't trade my Ruger P95 for two Glocks. Not that they aren't good guns but just because they don't feel right, to me.

Then, again, it has been a while since I tried one out. Maybe I should at least hold one sometime soon to make sure I still dislike them as much as I remember.

Edited by JAB
The more I look into this gun the more I like it. I've not heard or seen anything bad as far as build or performance. Its a bit chunky for CC but with my body type I think it'll be a nice fit. The DA/SA model is what I've been checking out at the local gun shop. Thats one of the reasons I'm looking at this gun is that it is NOT DAO. I dont think I'd really care much for a DAO piece and going on advice from my dad I'm steering clear of them. Hoping to find one lightly used to save a few bucks for ammo and a nice holster. I've heard that resale on them is in the dumps but if everything I've read and heard about is true I dont have any idea as to why I'd want to part with it anyway.

My KelTecs are both DAO. The P11 trigger is pretty stiff but the P3AT isn't bad and I have heard that the PF9 trigger is more like that of the P3AT. The reason some semiautos are DAO is that many of them are intended primarily for SD carry and have no manual safeties - the stiffer trigger acts as a safety measure, just like on a revolver.

Just in the interest of your having all the information, some people believe that DA/SA pistols aren't good for carry. The reason for this belief is they feel that in a stressful situation, such as an SD shooting would be, a consistent trigger pull is important to avoid accidental/negligent discharge of a second or subsequent shot. In fact, I have a LEO acquaintance (who is a fan of Glocks for carry both on and off duty) who is of the opinion that DA/SA pistols probably account for a large percentage of 'friendly fire' injuries to LEOs due to negligent/accidental discharge by other LEOs. He feels that a consistent trigger pull - whether from a SA carried 'cocked and locked' or from a DAO - is preferable to a DA/SA setup for that reason because it will allow for better muscle memory from the first shot to subsequent shots.

As I said, I really like my P95 but due to this concern I have practiced drawing it while simultaneously thumbing back the hammer so that the first shot will be SA just like all subsequent shots. Would I remember to do this in an SD situation? I really can't say.

Edited by JAB
Guest Boogieman

I never thought of that. That is very interesting. I can definitely see why a DAO would be thought to be superior in that fashion. I'd hate to accidently fire a second round because I'm accustomed to shooting in a certain fashion. I'll definitely give the issue a bit more thought before I commit to anything in particular. On a side note, I also liked the idea of the Kel-Tec P11 as long as I could get the grip extenders. I'm just very undecided but leaning heavily towards the P95 at this time. Not to say that if the right deal comes around I wont go after one of the others mentioned.

I never thought of that. That is very interesting. I can definitely see why a DAO would be thought to be superior in that fashion. I'd hate to accidently fire a second round because I'm accustomed to shooting in a certain fashion. I'll definitely give the issue a bit more thought before I commit to anything in particular. On a side note, I also liked the idea of the Kel-Tec P11 as long as I could get the grip extenders. I'm just very undecided but leaning heavily towards the P95 at this time. Not to say that if the right deal comes around I wont go after one of the others mentioned.

The P95 would be much better for the 'range gun' part of your dual requirement. Hmmm...maybe you just need two guns!

You could always get a P95 or similar and carry that for a while. If it works for carry, great. If not, keep it for the range and carry it until you can get something smaller/lighter for carry.

Guest Boogieman
The P95 would be much better for the 'range gun' part of your dual requirement. Hmmm...maybe you just need two guns!

You could always get a P95 or similar and carry that for a while. If it works for carry, great. If not, keep it for the range and carry it until you can get something smaller/lighter for carry.

Hehe, its like you read my mind on that one. I figured if I do end up with a P95 and it isnt working out for the CC I could pick up the Kel-Tec P11 down the road.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Boogieman

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys. My wife was a darling and let me up my price range so I came home from the Gun Show yesterday with a new Sigma SW9VE for $324 out the door after rebate. I opted for the blued version because I thought it looked better. I cant wait to get to the range and try her out!

Congratulations on your first gun. I believe you will like the Sigma. A solid, dependable gun. Not flashy, but will function for you. And in the end, that is all that is important. Practice with it consistantly, get comfortable with the trigger, and you'll be fine. Good Shooting to you.:up:

Guest bbtie72
You might have to look a little hard to find one under 300, but a Smith and Wesson 3rd gen double stack 9mm auto like the 5906 would be hard to beat. Most I've seen are in the 290-350 range.

Might be able to find a EAA Witness in 9mm for 300 or less as well. Not a bad choice at all.

I'll have to agree the $ is a big limiting factor. I own the following brands currently Sig, Glock, HK, CZ, Beretta, Kahr, Taurus, and Colt. Most of which I paid well over your Budget, but one of the best shooters I've had was an EAA Witness. I've owned the Match and the P series. You should be able to find one in your budget in good used condition;)

At the risk of repeating what may have already been mentioned, my suggestion would be a Ruger P95. If you are patient you should be able to find one in your price range. They are very reliable and well made. A number of police departments have used them at one point in time. The US Army purchased about 5000 for use in Iraq. They have a reputation for being as tough as a tank and will shoot everything. These are full size so you will need to wear a long tailed shirt untucked or a coat to keep it concealed. But the size helps to make them comfortable to shoot and aids in accuracy. They are not a Sig 226 for accuracy but they are more than accurate enough.

Never owned a Taurus, but have heard more negative about their semi-autos than positive. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of their wheelguns though, if I found a good deal on one.
I'll have to agree the $ is a big limiting factor. I own the following brands currently Sig, Glock, HK, CZ, Beretta, Kahr, Taurus, and Colt. Most of which I paid well over your Budget, but one of the best shooters I've had was an EAA Witness. I've owned the Match and the P series. You should be able to find one in your budget in good used condition;)
At the risk of repeating what may have already been mentioned, my suggestion would be a Ruger P95. If you are patient you should be able to find one in your price range. They are very reliable and well made. A number of police departments have used them at one point in time. The US Army purchased about 5000 for use in Iraq. They have a reputation for being as tough as a tank and will shoot everything. These are full size so you will need to wear a long tailed shirt untucked or a coat to keep it concealed. But the size helps to make them comfortable to shoot and aids in accuracy. They are not a Sig 226 for accuracy but they are more than accurate enough.

I guess you guys missed where he got the Sigma.:rolleyes:

Guest Vincent

How would you like a SIG 225 for that price? Top Gun Supply is selling Swiss Police turn in 225 SIG for $299 last time I looked. These guns have some holster wear but are in very good shape and they are very nice pistols. I have owned a 225 and they are great pistols.

Just a thought.