detail strip or not

detail strip or not  

32 members have voted

1. 1. detail strip or not

• Detail strip it ya wimp
    • Don't be stupid, leave it alone

So my Ruger Mklll 22-45 has enough rounds through it to warrant a detail strip. I am guessing it may benefit from a deep cleaning and lubing.

So is it worth the trouble I hear it is, or just as well to clean what I can reach, lube what I can reach and leave it be.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a MKII and I havent ever detail stripped it. My policy on Ruger .22 pistols is I dont take them apart unless they start jamming. My MKII is over 8 years old and has never had any jamming issues. Wipe the chamber down the best you can. Run a brush and some patches through it and wipe the outside down.

• Admin Team

People make it out to be a lot more trouble than it is. Pay attention to the instructions and you''ll be fine.

I recently broke mine down to do a detail strip after ~1400 rounds. I am running a suppressor, so I get some blowback, but I was suprised at how dirty it was and the junk that I cleaned out.

It's probably a matter of preference, as they seem to keep running okay even when they're pretty dirty. I'd go for it, though.

After modding 5 or 6 of the MKIIs my advice unless you are going to replace something don't detail strip it unless you simply want to learn how. Doing it is not really an issue, but there is really no reason to do it as you can easily thoroughly clean it without detail stripping. It is a great design.

ALL my guns get detailed stripped every six months, I won't own a gun that I can't (never seen one) or won't detail strip. All my guns get field stripped and cleaned after firing and again 3 days later. Wiped down weekly and if not shot ,cleaned monthly. But that's just the old GMG left in me.

You must be doing somthing wrong with the 1911.:D

10 minutes to have either one of them completely disassembled. I took my 1911 apart to clean it this weekend after an extremely dirty range trip and had it looking like a box of parts in less than 10 minutes and that was only my second time doing it. The Standard takes a little longer because the dad gummed bolt pin is a booger and is pretty tight on my gun. But once it's free, its just a couple of seconds per part.

I lube mine before every trip to the range with it, and clean if it starts jamming or every thousand rds. or so, whichever comes first. I would not treat a SD pistol like that, but the MKII is a plinker. The last time mine was detail stripped was when the sear wore out and had to be replaced.