Anyone ever use shoulder holsters?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

Our downtown mounted police had to stop wearing them/couldn't wear them because they pointed backwards or they pointed downward to people walking near the horses. If I had to buy one, it would point down. There's also less printing this way.

Guest HexHead

I wear a Galco Jackass rig with my G19. It's very comfortable and I don't have my clothes tugging at me. I don't have a problem with printing, but then I'm deeper than my pistol is long.:D

It doesn't move around now that I added the off-side (ammo pouch) tie down. With a light jacket open in the front, even if I hold my arms out to the side, it doesn't show.

Would have been great in a restaurant when I wanted to just be covered, as opposed to deep concealment like now.

I think thats the rig (Galco Jackass) I have for my PF9. I bought the tie downs for both sides, but the problem I have is that the top of the rig where the straps all come together tends to ride up my back to my neck...I didnt get any instructions 2ith mine, so is it possible I need to adjust it somehow?

Edited by barewoolf

I used to wear one back in the 70's. But everybody did back then. I finally realized that they are slow to draw from, the pistol is always pointed in the wrong direction, and its easy to accidentally point it at someone while drawing. The horizontal shoulder holsters are always pointing at someone.

I've gone to appendix carry and am very happy with that.

I used to wear one back in the 70's. But everybody did back then.

You old guys did all kinds of crazy stuff back in the 70's. That classic lite Galco looks pretty comfortable. It don't cost as much as some of the other ones.

Edited by Shima

Granted, when wearing a shoulder holster, your pistol will be pointing backwards or down. That could be a safety issue if your pistol negligently discharges. My pistol will not fire unless I place the safety in the off position and pull the trigger. Though I rarely wear a shoulder holster because it chaffs my neck, I believe it is as safe as any other method of carrying. There is no such thing as accidental discharge only negligence. However you carry, practice safety and efficiency.

Edited by Will Carry
Our downtown mounted police had to stop wearing them/couldn't wear them because they pointed backwards or they pointed downward to people walking near the horses. If I had to buy one, it would point down. There's also less printing this way.

+1 on that. A 'tactical' holster with the gun in a lateral position is like a billboard.

Way back in the day I did carry an HK VP70Z in a shoulder rig. It had the gun pointing down. IIRC it was a pleasure to wear, but definitely a cold weather setup. It's hard to disguise a shoulder rig in the summer IMHO.

Guest HexHead
I used to wear one back in the 70's. But everybody did back then. I finally realized that they are slow to draw from, the pistol is always pointed in the wrong direction, and its easy to accidentally point it at someone while drawing. The horizontal shoulder holsters are always pointing at someone.

I've gone to appendix carry and am very happy with that.

Okay, so it's secure in the holster, held in place by a retention strap and the trigger is covered. What are you worried about?

Guest HexHead

Way back in the day I did carry an HK VP70Z in a shoulder rig. It had the gun pointing down. IIRC it was a pleasure to wear, but definitely a cold weather setup. It's hard to disguise a shoulder rig in the summer IMHO.

You're just not dressin' right. :cheers::D:D

Don-Johnson-Sonny-Crockett-miami-vice-784292_268_400.jpg

Okay, so it's secure in the holster, held in place by a retention strap and the trigger is covered. What are you worried about?

Not worried about it if I can't see it. Walked up behind a guy in line at a fast food place. He had taken his jacket off and I was looking down the barrel of his gun. Not good PR since he was a police detective.

If you want to carry that way, keep it covered.

I bought an original Jackass shoulder rig for my Star PD .45 in 1981. I still have it, and still use it. It also works with any 1911-series pistol. I wore it often during the '80's, and with a little wardrobe thought was difficult to see. The little Star didn't hang as low as that picture shows that big ol' Bren10. Likewise, the Star is much smaller and shorter, so there wasn't much swing when I moved.

These days I usually carry IWB as the holsters for that are much better and allow a lot more flexibility in clothing.

Guest HexHead
Not worried about it if I can't see it. Walked up behind a guy in line at a fast food place. He had taken his jacket off and I was looking down the barrel of his gun. Not good PR since he was a police detective.

If you want to carry that way, keep it covered.

Well, it's not just going to go off by itself. :D

Despite what the liberal bedwetters say. :P:screwy::D

Guest HexHead
So by your logic, I could come up to you and point my pistol at your head. Don't worry, the safety is on and my finger is off the trigger. It won't go off.

The difference being your hand would be on the pistol, as opposed to it being encased in a holster and just hanging by it's straps. No different than pointing the case it came in at me with the pistol inside.

If you are wearing a gun concealed, no one will know which way it's pointing. I could not say that a shoulder hoster, that fits the gun well and retains the weapon securely, is any more dangerous than other holsters. The hosters that make me cring are the ones where the barrel is pointed at your nut sack. That's just not right...:lol: