summer carry

I can carry a BHP in a Crossbreed Supertuck wearing nothing but a pair of shorts and an Aloha or camp shirt or some other type of untucked overshirt.

If you are willing to modify the way you dress so that you can dress around the gun, summer carry is really no more difficult than carrying in the other three seasons.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rare times anymore I have to do the coat and tie thang, I forego my IWB XD and put the mighty PM9 in the pocket of pants or inside vest pocket in coat (quicker to get out of pants pocket). Sometimes use on long sweaty summer walks instead of the IWB also.

Matter of fact, with this thin Kydex holster from StellarRigs, I can carry extra mag in the same rectangular space occupied by gun only:

Kahr-Stellar-sm.jpg

- OS

The rare times anymore I have to do the coat and tie thang, I forego my IWB XD and put the mighty PM9 in the pocket of pants or inside vest pocket in coat (quicker to get out of pants pocket). Sometimes use on long sweaty summer walks instead of the IWB also.

Matter of fact, with this thin Kydex holster from StellarRigs, I can carry extra mag in the same rectangular space occupied by gun only:

Kahr-Stellar-sm.jpg

- OS

Here's my question: Most people carry their reload on their weak side. I take it you have practiced reloading from the strong side. Can you reload as fast as if you carried the extra mag weak side and can you do it without switching hands?

Here's my question: Most people carry their reload on their weak side. I take it you have practiced reloading from the strong side. Can you reload as fast as if you carried the extra mag weak side and can you do it without switching hands?

It's not optimal for speed, no, I'm certainly not Mr. Tactical.

I'm much quicker to reload my XD from mag carrier in left front pocket when I carry that option.

I hope that 7 is enough or at least that (feets get moving!) I'm still alive and behind cover should I need a reload.

Actually, of course, I hope that 0 is enough.

- OS

Thanks for the responses concerning carrying a firearm guys, all relevent posts have been helpful.

Maybe I should try a high-quality IWB holster. I have tried mexican carry (no holster) and its fairly uncomfortable, but not too bad, and a kydex IWB that was extremely uncomfortable. I have a pretty good stiff belt too.

My main probelm is that I dont like my shirts REAL loose like 1.5+ sizes too big. A size L shirt fits me perfect except for the length and it hits me exactly at the bottom of my belt, which is too short for concealing a gun. It is hard finding shirts that arent excessively expensive in a LT (large tall).

Back when I was heavier(215lbs.) before I lost weight, I wore an XL(T) shirt. I could conceal a XD-45 Service fairly well under a dark T-shirt mexican carry.

Thanks for the responses concerning carrying a firearm guys, all relevent posts have been helpful.

Maybe I should try a high-quality IWB holster. I have tried mexican carry (no holster) and its fairly uncomfortable, but not too bad, and a kydex IWB that was extremely uncomfortable. I have a pretty good stiff belt too.

My main probelm is that I dont like my shirts REAL loose like 1.5+ sizes too big. A size L shirt fits me perfect except for the length and it hits me exactly at the bottom of my belt, which is too short for concealing a gun. It is hard finding shirts that arent excessively expensive in a LT (large tall).

Back when I was heavier(215lbs.) before I lost weight, I wore an XL(T) shirt. I could conceal a XD-45 Service fairly well under a dark T-shirt mexican carry.

If you've not tried it with a good holster, you've not really tried IWB. I'm 5'11 and 155 lbs and a Glock 19 is pretty comfy for me in a Crossbreed Supertuck. My Glock 26 is even more comfy because it's lighter. If you don't have to tuck your shirt in, there is no reason you shouldn't carry iwb in the summer. Since you don't want a 9mm, I'd suggest the G33 which is the same size but in a .357 Sig.

Gun size/thickness. Grip length is a biggie.

Body build, holster position, cant angle.

Type of holster, how it attaches is important (single attachment point not as stable in general, if it's on the thickest part of gun already, then adds to overall max thickness), etc.

Everything counts. :D

- OS

I currently have a Ruger Police Service Six, short grip with 2 3/4" barrel, and need a holster. Trying to decide if I get a good winter carry one and get a different summer gun or try to make it work year round

Have you tried an 'old school' pancake-type holster? I made one for a Rossi .357 that is of similar dimensions to your Ruger. I don't carry it a lot but it is comfortable and with my build and the way I dress in the summer I can hide it (usually have a tucked in t-shirt to keep the grip from rubbing my skin with an unbuttoned, untucked printed shirt as an overshirt/concealment garment.) Of course, our builds are different - I am a good bit 'thicker' than you.

Here is the Rossi in my home-made, wet-molded holster. If I make another like this, I will probably put a thumbreak-type retention strap on it but the wet molding does surprisingly well at holding it in the holster (not the best looking holster but it works):

RossiPancakeHolsterFront.jpg

Edited by JAB
I need some help/suggestions with summer carry.

...., .45acp, 10mm, .357sig, or larger.

or try to make it work year round

Take a look at a glock 33 in a kydex hip pocket holster from Allen Miller.

Link here: Welcome to Aholster.

Check this link out for a review right here on TGO: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/firearm-accessories/18651-photos-my-new-aholster-pocket-s-w-j-frame.html#post244152

I carry one all the time.

Summer: Carried in the hip pocket of my dungarees.

Winter: Same as summer or front pocket of an overall jacket.

Works like a charm.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Leroy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Broomhead

I don't usually wear a coat in the winter, so I carry the same year round. This time last year I was concealing a HiPoint C9 in a Fobus Kydex paddle holster and a Charter Arms .357mag both, with an un-tucked t-shirt, polo, or button-up shirt. Now, I carry a CZ-82 IWB small of back. I am 6'3 250lbs. You can conceal anything. You just have to decide what you want to lose, fire-power or comfort. You will have to sacrifice something, more than likely.

Guest Broomhead
Most people are so un-observant and wraped up in ther own little world they will never notice anyway.

So freaking true. I have OCed before and never been made. Some people have no situational awareness.