revolver...what to get

Justbo1901

Hey everyone, I was never owned a revolver. And I''ve only shot one a few time, My grandmother has a h&r model 733 .32 s&w L. I like it ok but want to get something that is around that size maybe a little bigger but N

ot too much I want to keep it in my truck for a back up weapon, to have able to just put in a pocket or small holster. any thoughts or recomendations thanks? .

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a house or car gun a 4" 357 like a SW K/L/N frame or Ruger Security Six/GP100 is great. but when you say in the pocket you have to shrink down to the 5 shot J frame size. They are available from SW, Taurus, Rossi, Charter and others. They do make 2.5" round butt, 6 shot K/L frames. More expensive and heavy but might make a good compromise.

The GP-100 is a tough hard hitting wheel gun. The SP-101 is a little smaller and lighter but still is Ruger tough. If it's a truck gun then size isn't as big of a factor, so I would go with the GP-100. If you were going to conceal carry then the SP-101 would be better.

Ruger isn't the only manufacturer of revolvers. There is Taurus, Rossi, Charter Arms and many more that make cowboy pistols. (I like me a cowboy gun). But the best of the bunch is Smith and Wesson. They make somewhere around 33 models of revolvers. The only problem is that Smith and Wesson cost 200-600 dollars more than other revolvers.

I personally would stay away from Taurus revolvers due to quality control issues and warranty repair lags, but Rossi for some strange reason, a subsidiary of Taurus, is decent enough. If you want single action then the Ruger is the value point for the money. For a pocket gun you almost have to go with S&W 5-shot J frames in airweight like the 442 or 642. Charter Arms are OK, but way below S&W or Ruger in quality. Ruger double actions are nice but the GP100 and older Security/Service or Speed Sixes are hardly pocket guns. The SP101 is nice but it is heavy. Again, go with the J-frame S&W in .38+P and you can't be wrong. I would encourage you to buy used too. The last two DA revolvers I purchased used were well worn on the outside but hardly shot once I opened them up to service them.

Add me to the list of SP101 fans - love my 2-1/4" and carry it frequently in a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake holster.

Amen brother!! An sp 101 is a great thing. It is everything that a beefed up smith j frame should be. Cant go wrong with one.

Kind regards,

Leroy

Hey everybody, I'm getting ready to make my first handgun purchase in the next few weeks and have read the glowing reviews of the sp 101. A couple of questions: is the .357 magnum round a little too strong for my wife to use? I'm looking for something big enough to stop, but small enough that it wouldn't knock my wife over if she had to use it. Also, what's a fair price for a new one...and a used one? Finally, how does a novice like me tell if a used weapon is only lightly used or if it's junk?

Thanks in advance!

Guest 10mm4me
Hey everybody, I'm getting ready to make my first handgun purchase in the next few weeks and have read the glowing reviews of the sp 101. A couple of questions: is the .357 magnum round a little too strong for my wife to use? I'm looking for something big enough to stop, but small enough that it wouldn't knock my wife over if she had to use it. Also, what's a fair price for a new one...and a used one? Finally, how does a novice like me tell if a used weapon is only lightly used or if it's junk?

Thanks in advance!

Try it. If so let her shoot/carry .38 JHP's in it. If those are too much for her, she either needs some serious range time/training or just should not carry a weapon.

Guest cheez

Thanks in advance!

If your wife is weak handed or timid the .357 could be a bit much. You could always use standard .38 ammo to start and work her up to the magnum loads. The weight of the SP 101 is enough that it absorbs much of the recoil.

A new SP 101 should be around $500. I bought a used one last year for $375 but if the gun is in like new condition with box and paperwork $450 would be a fair price. One of the best things about the SP is that it holds it's value as well or better than just about any other gun on the market.

Even a novice should be able to tell if a gun is junk. If it's all beat up and scratched up or has missing parts then stay away. Doubtful you will find many junk SP 101 guns.