Kahr PM9 VS Walther PPS (9mm)

Ropin4gold

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the price was equal, which would you buy and why? I am wanting a small 9mm pistol to replace my LCP that I just got rid of. Not interested in the Kel Tec 9mm.

If the price was equal I'd buy the PM9.

But then the price isn't equal and I still bought a PM9.

Why? The PM9 is smaller, yet still very easy to shoot accurately. I don't know that I need a better reason than that.

Both are overpriced guns IMO but if I had to choose I would probably go with the Kahr. Ask OhShoot about his, he seems to like it. Only thing I don't agree with is the fact that Kahr charges so much for the PM9 and that there is a 200 rd break-in period. I'm not sure if Walther has the same break-in period or not.

I like the Walther, but it really depends on how you are going to be carry. The Kahr is the superior pocket gun but I like the Walther in a holster. How are you planning to carry?

Guest rockytop

Why? The PM9 is smaller, yet still very easy to shoot accurately. I don't know that I need a better reason than that.

What he said. I have the option of carrying a lot of different guns and 99+% of the time it's the PM9.

+1 The PM series Kahr is second to none.

I don't have any experience with the PM9, but I LOVE my PPS in .40 S&W. I'm a Glock guy, and the PPS is essentially the single-stack subcompact that folks have been clamoring for Glock to produce for years. The only thing I don't like is that silly European ambi-mag release, but everything else about the gun just feels right to me. YMMV.

Only thing I don't agree with is the fact that Kahr charges so much for the PM9 and that there is a 200 rd break-in period. I'm

not sure if Walther has the same break-in period or not.

I've heard of this break-in period, but mine sure didn't have one. I took it to the range and put almost 300 rounds through it with exactly two failures to fire. Both of those were my fault - I hadn't seated the magazine properly. Once I realized what was happening and was corrected for it things worked beautifully.

I have a PM40 as well as the PPS40 - I like the PPS better of the two. The PPS is much smoother and easier to hang on to. I realize that the 9's probably have less kick than my 40's. The PPS is my EDC and my wife carries the PM40 (although she really doesn't like to shoot it)

Guest Sgt. Joe
I don't have any experience with the PM9, but I LOVE my PPS in .40 S&W. I'm a Glock guy, and the PPS is essentially the single-stack subcompact that folks have been clamoring for Glock to produce for years. The only thing I don't like is that silly European ambi-mag release, but everything else about the gun just feels right to me. YMMV.

What he said except I love the mag release at least once I got use to it.....I dont think it can be beaten for speed.

As a "She" once said "It just feels so right":p

But as Jparn said the PPS dont work well in no pocket. And extra mags are pretty much non exsistant.....been waiting near a year for two 8 rounders.

And at a little over 500 I dont feel my new PPS-9 was over priced, Now 50+ bucks for mags.....YEA you bet they are over priced and especially since I havent even been able to find any...:P

I do feel the Ruger SR9c at 100 bucks less and holding 3 or 10 more rounds was a better value, it also however is not going to do well in a pocket.

2 free cents.....;)

I have no experience with the PPS but I just picked up the PM9 this evening and put about 100 rounds through it with no malfunctions. Even when chambering a round by pulling and releasing the slide, which Kahr recommends not to do, I only had to nudge the slide the first few times. I'm a very happy camper. You can tell the ramp has been polished.

It also carries well in pocket.

Guest icehead

i haved owned 2 PM9's and if gave me one i would sell it! Both of mine had to be sent back to the factory for peening, FTF,FTE. I guess i was just unlucky. great in the pocket, but for me that was all it was good for.

i haved owned 2 PM9's and if gave me one i would sell it! Both of mine had to be sent back to the factory for peening, FTF,FTE. I guess i was just unlucky. great in the pocket, but for me that was all it was good for.

Yeah, they had a couple (or more) unfortunate runs with probs. And, IMHO, it was much like Toyota in that they didn't acknowledge/recall them sooner, rather than fix individual probs, and has hurt their rep some in the long run.

Then again, as much as I've read about Kahrs on forums, not sure if anyone was every totally sure what really caused the peening at least. Maybe just out of spec runs on barrel or slide I guess.

- OS

I agree also. :mad:

The pm9 is fantastic for pocket carry. I has been my favorite gun to pocket carry.

I just picked up a PPS. I already was a fan, but after shooting it, i am really impressed. It is incredible accurate for such a short barrel. It is so thin. It doesn print at all. I love it.

the PM9 size and weight are unbeatable, but the extra weight keeps the PPS recoil very manageable.

Agree with PPS for holster and PM9 for pocket.

Get both. :rolleyes:

Both great.

Guest Linoge

All things being equal, I would go with the PPS.

All things being inequal (i.e. realistic), I would go with the PPS.

But, then again, guess what is sitting on my hip?

Granted, the firearm is nothing more than a S&W-cloned mini-Glock, but it is surprisingly accurate for such a short barrel, it is as thin as they claim, and I have yet to have a problem with it, regardless of ammunition, abuse, or use.

So... I am probably not the most impartial of sources :shrug:.