What was your first car/truck?

Guest Baddawg865

Guest walkingdeadman

1984 Chevrolet Silverado 305. Rode on 32.5 inch tires with 17 inch wheels. Billet grille, custom upholstery and stereo system. Flowmaster exhaust and sexy as hell.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a '72 Ford Pinto, complete with the infamous exploding gas tank that would go boom if hit from the rear. Never had that problem with mine, thank goodness.

My dad bought it for me for $400, and he thought it would keep me out of trouble by keeping me in the garage. Funny thing is that car ran great. Had an oil leak somewhere, but I always had a couple of quarts of oil in the trunk, and I'd just top it off when I filled up for gas and kept on driving.

One funny thing about the car, it had and AM/FM radio and an 8-track tape player, but they were'nt on the same system. It had seperate speakers for the radio and the tape. Don't know why the previous owner did that, but I changed it not long after I got it.

Had a lot of great times in that car. Probably did a lot of things I shouldn't have in it.

My first on road licensed car was a 1941 Chevy 2 door purchased in 1956. The car had been purchased new and driven very little 'till the owner was drafted. The car sat on blocks until long after WW11 as the owner never came home, KIA. I purchased the car from his mother when she decided it was time to sell it and I got word of the car through a friend. The car had a bit of body rust but mechanically was in great shape. New tires and other soft items made it very reliable transportation. I would pull the rear seat and throw my camping, fishing hunting gear in and off I would go. I could reinstall the seat if I needed a presentable vehicle or to carry more than three people. I have a picture of the car, me with my side arm and a deer stretched out across the fender ........Yeah, that is the way we brought deer home back then as we all did not have pickups and you sure didn't want to put a field dressed deer inside the car.

I drove that car until I went to college.

oldogy

1965 Volkswagen Beetle. Paid $400 for it. Had two blowouts on the way home. I later rebuilt the engine by taking it apart and laying the parts out in a line as they came off. Went and told the parts man I needed whatever I should replace, swapped the new parts for the matching old ones and put it back together. It actually ran good.

That car would go anywhere in any conditions, just slowly.

Glenn

51 Ford, gave 250 for it. In 71, and in northern IL. any car over 3 years old had cancer. My old Ford had a good case.

Edited by Ae-35
Guest colombianito1021

07 Mustang GT

I grew up in NYC so a car was not needed. At 17 after graduating HS i enlisted in the army in 2005. After my 1st deployment I came back and bought my stang at 18 (2006). insurance was/is really high.

07 Mustang GT

I grew up in NYC so a car was not needed. At 17 after graduating HS i enlisted in the army in 2005. After my 1st deployment I came back and bought my stang at 18 (2006). insurance was/is really high.

Many thanks for your service. May God bless you and keep all of you safe while in harms way.

Guest PeaShooter

Used 53' Ford 4-Door Sedan, $200.00

A very simple car to work on!

V-8, 3 Spd. Col. Shifter. Just Cool Running.

Took Regular gas @ 17 cents a gallon.

Loved those "price wars" back then!

1987 Honda Accord LX 5 speed on the floor with no A/C or cruise control and over 300,000 miles on it with a carburetor! It barely had 100 hp, but it drove better and steered better than most of the newer cars I have driven these days. It had great fuel economy as well.

1953 Plymouth (Pastel Green) 4 door 6 cyl. Cambridge, with 3 on the tree, and slightly used by a lady I knew that had it serviced every two weeks. Saved my money all summer to buy the car. Wrote my first check, ever in my life, to pay cash for the car. The check bounced, and I was one scared 16 year old!

Lived in a small town where almost no one used full, formal, names... not even at the bank. A guy that lived in another small country town nearby, and banked at the same bank, used the same name as me. The bank told him he had money (my money!), and he spent it! I had all the receipts to prove my check was good, and all turned out well.

To this day, my friends can attest to the fact, that I save every receipt I get!

"To anger a Conservative, lie to him. To anger a Liberal, tell him the truth." Theodore Roosevelt

Edited by Sidewinder
Had to add the color... important factor!
Guest benchpresspower

'88 Ford Crown Vic

Inherited from my grandfather. Drove it for about 2 years and it went down in a blaze of glory, LITERALLY. Burnt to the ground in a Kroger parking lot.