Memorials in car windows?

Smith

Guest Sgt. Joe

I always thought that the shoes and power lines thing originated with the Military, in that once a person was discharged they would throw their boots over the line to signify that they were no longer needed. Personally I kept all of mine and wore them out. My oldest now can wear the ones I was given for the sand.

When I went thru Ft. Bragg to go to Iraq there were some power lines that were dragging because of the amount of boots on them over completed deployments. They had to have crews go thru from time to time and remove them.

I have no idea what the deal is with tennis shoes but I have seen plenty.

A long long time ago probably at least 30 years, I saw a memorial on the back of a new luxury car. I stopped and asked:eek:....these were different times and folks didnt freak when a stranger approached them in a parking lot.

The person told me that a friend had died and had left him insurance money that he had never been aware of as they were just friends and not family. And he had used that money to buy that car that his friend had always known he always wanted and that is why the memorial stickers were on there.

As I said that was forever ago and I doubt it is the case for those who are doing it now. I also think it looks tacky but some a lot more than others. And if it helps someone grieve....so be it. It does not bother me to see them unless they have been left to nearly rot away and look really bad. I think in those cases they are disrespecting the person, but again it isnt my business.

I am most at home going down the interstate and always have been. I spent several years in a Big Rig and have around a half million miles in one.

I really believe that a simple white cross at the site of each fatal wreck is actually a good idea in order to remind us all of the danger of moving at 70+ MPH in a couple ton or larger vehicle. The comforts of our newer vehicles can easily make us forget what we are actually doing.

Of course these are just my opinions and have no more value than anyone else's.:D

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like "memorials" popping up wherever someone dies on a highway.

I don't get that one either. I certainly would not want it in my front yard if someone died in a crash there. I was in Livingston KY 4 wheeling a few years ago and these memorials were all over the place from people dying on dirt bikes and quads.

All I know is it helped a bunch of young people try to get over the death of their friend.

That is the important thing really.

Maybe it's the "In memory of" part. I see that and I think "monument". What's the monument-the car that will be a rusted hunk of crap in 10 years, or sold in 3?

I thought that same thing pretty much

Dale Earnhardt died and his fans started putting them on their back windows.

One of the answers that I have heard and a MNPD officer that dealt with Gangs confirmed that it means that drugs are available in the area. That was 3 years ago and the meaning may have changed by now.

I was told in Chicago that when someone was killed you took their shoes and tossed them over the line as a memorial. Probably has more than one meaning.

I guess I am just as bad in that respect. my yard tractor has a 3/halo on the hood. But if he had not died I would still have the 3 on there.

I asked my son about the sneakers on wires, he said it is a drug dealer thing, marking their territory.

I would not want my name on a car. Engrave it on a rifle stock, that would be cool.

I guess I will be the odd man out here. I don't think it is trashy or disrespectful. I personally wouldn't do it but it doesn't bother me in the least when someone else does.
I always thought that the shoes and power lines thing originated with the Military, in that once a person was discharged they would throw their boots over the line to signify that they were no longer needed. Personally I kept all of mine and wore them out. My oldest now can wear the ones I was given for the sand.

When I went thru Ft. Bragg to go to Iraq there were some power lines that were dragging because of the amount of boots on them over completed deployments. They had to have crews go thru from time to time and remove them.

I have no idea what the deal is with tennis shoes but I have seen plenty.

A long long time ago probably at least 30 years, I saw a memorial on the back of a new luxury car. I stopped and asked:eek:....these were different times and folks didnt freak when a stranger approached them in a parking lot.

The person told me that a friend had died and had left him insurance money that he had never been aware of as they were just friends and not family. And he had used that money to buy that car that his friend had always known he always wanted and that is why the memorial stickers were on there.

As I said that was forever ago and I doubt it is the case for those who are doing it now. I also think it looks tacky but some a lot more than others. And if it helps someone grieve....so be it. It does not bother me to see them unless they have been left to nearly rot away and look really bad. I think in those cases they are disrespecting the person, but again it isnt my business.

I am most at home going down the interstate and always have been. I spent several years in a Big Rig and have around a half million miles in one.

I really believe that a simple white cross at the site of each fatal wreck is actually a good idea in order to remind us all of the danger of moving at 70+ MPH in a couple ton or larger vehicle. The comforts of our newer vehicles can easily make us forget what we are actually doing.

Of course these are just my opinions and have no more value than anyone else's.:)

Well thought out either way. I don't really care one way or the other either. People grieve differently, so if it helps them recover from the loss of a loved one, who am I to say don't do it? Most of us have lost someone we care about. Some of us tell jokes, or funny and even embarrassing stories about when they were alive. Some of us stop talking about them totally, because the memories make it worse. Whatever works best for you is the best way to handle it.

Guest malv1
The window stickers and roadside crosses have always seemed trashy and pointless to me.

It sucks that you lost a loved one, but If I wanted to read the obituaries I would buy a paper.

It may just be me but I don't think they are putting flowers and crosses at the accident site for your reading pleasure... It is for their grieving process and if that is what floats their boat to get them over the loss, then so be it.

Guest Swamprunner

I would not want my name on a car. Engrave it on a rifle stock, that would be cool.

My thoughts, exactly. Better yet, have the persons' name with gold inlay on the receiver.

I had sticker on my trucks up to around age 24 from then on the only stickers or decals were my company name and #. The ones I had from 19 to 24 were my gang affiliations you know like Texas Trophy Hunters Association,Texas Trophy Bow Hunters Association,Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation.

Now the only Gang affiliation sticker is TGO.

One thought - at least a "rolling epitaph" will be seen by people who probably don't visit cemeteries too often.

I wouldn't do it myself, but I often read these memorials, and say a prayer for their loss.

Another bad idea, IMO - the rear window stickmen of the family, kids, complete with names. Pedophiles on the prowl can then call your kids by name.

I've seen far less dignified things affixed to alot of vehicle windows... It's their window :) and if it matters to them have at it... If we don't want to see it that bad, we can pass them, and everybody wins.

I'm not a big fan of stickers on vehicles at all, but between AirEvac, TGO and Hero-Gear there's the three worth it to be to display. If anybody wants to know more about me they'll have to ask.

Any kind of sticker is ok in my books well,one exception is the Obama stickers.I feel like giving people with these stickers razor blades.Maybe in there hamburgers.

the rear window stickmen of the family, kids, complete with names. Pedophiles on the prowl can then call your kids by name.

That is the lamest thing ever. Where do these come from?

I was guessing school fundraiser.

Never even thought of a criminal angle though. But you are right about it.

That is the lamest thing ever. Where do these come from?

I was guessing school fundraiser.

Never even thought of a criminal angle though. But you are right about it.

Mike, the first time I seen these was 7 or 8 years ago in South Texas.The closer you get to Mexico the more cars have them

I have told my family that if I happen to die in a car accident and they put a 'memorial' for me at the crash site, if at all possible I will return and haunt them until they take the tacky thing down. When I first saw those 'memorials' on car windows, I added those to the list of 'hauntable offenses'.

Guest db99wj

Not my thing, but I don't really care one way or the other.

What I think is dumb is bumper stickers...on painted bumpers. I only have two window stickers, my kids school logo, and my St. Jude 13.1 Half Marathon sticker. I am going to take off the "X" stickers on my front fenders that came on it. Don't like them.

Mike, the first time I seen these was 7 or 8 years ago in South Texas.The closer you get to Mexico the more cars have them

where do people purchase the things? Do they buy them ala carte or do they come packaged in all combinations?

No idea but,next time you see a vehicle with the stickers look at the Mom and Dad and compare them to the next family.

I will most likely laugh my butt off and think about this thread.

Guest db99wj
where do people purchase the things? Do they buy them ala carte or do they come packaged in all combinations?
No idea but,next time you see a vehicle with the stickers look at the Mom and Dad and compare them to the next family.

I will most likely laugh my butt off and think about this thread.

I know a family that has that on their surburban, they have the 2 parents, the 7 kids, the dog, a bird and a something else. SRsly.:koolaid:

Guest boatme99

The only sticker on my truck is the one on the right hand mirror: Objects are closer than they appear.

I could really do without that one.

Guest Swamprunner
The only one I have seen that I didn't think was tacky was after an incident a few years ago. One of the kids at my high school went nuts and killed a police officer with the Loudon County Sheriffs Department. Jason Scott. I don't think it was disrespectful because it reminds everyone of the sacrifice he made.

Deputy Sheriff Jason Scott

I remember Jason, he was a fine young man. His parents are good people too. When folks were placing the memorial stickers on their car windows for Jason, it was a very painful reminder for me that evil is in places that you would never expect.

Another bad idea, IMO - the rear window stickmen of the family, kids, complete with names. Pedophiles on the prowl can then call your kids by name.

Yep... I see that and wonder why anyone would advertise this. Maybe I'll put one on mine that has stick figures of all my guns! :D Right now, the only sticker in my back window is NRA. Thinking of putting liberty stickers all over the spare tire cover... :up:

I asked my son about the sneakers on wires, he said it is a drug dealer thing, marking their territory.

Same thing I was told

My favorite is the person driving around like a maniac with a "for sale" sign in the window with their phone number on it!!! :D:screwy:

Edited by NextExit