Share your review 7.62x39 ammo

I would like to get some REAL input on 7.62x39 ammo.

Please recommend and or review the ammo you like .

PLEASE only post if you have shot a fair amount of the ammo you recommend or post about.

I would like to ask that you not post what a buddy says is good, or what you have seen others post that is good ammo.

I will list a few I am looking at (yes the cheap stuff)

Brown Bear

Silver Bear

Golden Bear

Wolf Black Box

Wolf Military Classic

Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works

Thanks! :D

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of those come out of one of two of the Russian ammo factories. They are all about the same and work just fine. Differences in case and coatings are minimal and only preferential.

So you have all of these to know this? :hiding:

Guest Stonewall

Have shot Wolf Military Classic and Wolf Black Box, also the Wolf hollow point and the 152 grain softpoint.

Also Brown, Golden, and Silver Bear.

The Yugo corrosive surplus, old Norinco including soft point, Romy Hot Shot, and un-trademarked FMJ from Russia, plain boxes - don't know where it came from but it was cheap, lol!

Through AK's - All of it has gone bang when the trigger was pulled, I have seen accuracy differences, but that is between rifles as well as ammo types ............... overall not a lot of difference, these days I buy combloc ammo on price alone.

I have had some problems with the Wolf MC in SKS's - hard hits on the primers, round doesn't fire. Never had an issue with an AK.

Hope is helpful.

Guest Ae-35

I've shot all the surplus stuff, all seem to work good, some issues with the silver and Golden bear, mis-fires ! None group great, wolf black box fmj, groups best of the bunch. My romy shoots Win. fmj best, just it's not cheap. Got some of the new Hornandy with the plastic tip , haven't tried then yet. Pricey!

Guest Ghostrider

I've fired a fair amount of all but the last one.

About the same, the M70 and the SKs eat it up, never an issue.

BTW, R1100R, do you mean we're supposed to "clean" these things???? :D

I really can't tell a difference between all the cheapo (if we can call it that anymore) and surplus. I have fired 1000's of rounds of wolf, brown bear, and golden tiger. If I have a choice I normally buy brown bear simply becasue it's been a little cheaper and more plentyful.

Guest mikedwood

I've shot Wolf, Silver Bear, Monarch and Golden Tiger and it's all been about the same from my AK. As someone said above none groups well.

I did have some surplus and I don't remember what kind but I had 2 that wouldn't fire even on a second try out of 700 rounds.

It may be worth trying Academy's Monarch brand. It's made at the Barnaul plant in Russia. It usually runs around $5.69 a box.

Good stuff. The same stuff as Wolf black box. Although the prices have gone up and now it is nearly a dollar more a box than from the online dealers.

I have found Brown Bear and Monarch (academy branded Brown Bear) to be far more consistent than Wolf. With the Wolf ammo, notably fine for most, I was getting tons of misfires in my Russian SKS. The misfired rounds had sunken primers, one batch was so bad Wolf refunded my money for 500 rounds. I have shot a little over 1000 brown bear since and haven't had a single problem.

Another problem I had with Wolf was popped primers. Not a single popped primer with Brown Bear.

ammo2.jpg

ammo4.jpg

Guest Todd@CIS
I have found Brown Bear and Monarch (academy branded Brown Bear) to be far more consistent than Wolf. With the Wolf ammo, notably fine for most, I was getting tons of misfires in my Russian SKS. The misfired rounds had sunken primers, one batch was so bad Wolf refunded my money for 500 rounds. I have shot a little over 1000 brown bear since and haven't had a single problem.

Another problem I had with Wolf was popped primers. Not a single popped primer with Brown Bear.

ammo2.jpg

ammo4.jpg

+1

My preferred 7.62 is Brown Bear/Monarch or Golden Tiger (I've shot way over a thousand of each).

Any 7.62 issues that I've ever had have come from Wolf. The above is usually cheaper than Wolf, too.

Well thank you all.

My first case will be Ulyanovsk Cartridge Works ( yes it was cheap and Im spliting a case with a member here)

Ill report how it works for me when it gets here.

I also have 2 others Ill share at the same time.

Brown Bear

Silver Bear

Wolf (black)

Wolf (MC)

Monarch

Golden Tiger

Norinco

Yugo

Wether it's been HP or FMJ, I've never had an issues with any of these in my SKS's or AK. I've shot about 1000k of each (give or take a few hundred) and have never noticed any big difference in any of these brands. They all hold about a 2in MOA for me at 100yrds. (yes I suck but these are for range use or perimeter defense of my home :D)

Now, the best I've found so far has been the Federal Power-Shok 123gr. These held a 1 1/4in MOA at 100 yrds. These impress me considering I can't shoot. :P Cor-Bon's 125gr was a close 2nd with a 1 1/2 MOA at 100yrds. These two loads are my "hunting" loads.

I do want to try Cor-Bons' 150gr to see how it handles......;)