New shooter trying to make a decision.

Guest JLaugh

Guest JLaugh

Hi, I have finally decided to buy a weapon. I am going to start with a handgun. I have visted a gun store or two and the most common advice I have heard is "choose what feels right to you". Well I have only shot a couple time so i really have no I dea what I need, want or "what feels right". So I am wondering if there are gun stores/ ranges that allow someone to rent or demo a gun. I am located in east TN. I visit Johnson city, Bristol, Greeneville, Kingsport and gate city VA on a weekly basis so if anyone has a reccomendation for me please let me know. Thanks.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're on the right track...if you are friendly with your neighbors in Afton, it's a safe bet that they have guns. You could learn more, and faster, by asking them to take you shooting. I'd be surprised if it cost you more than a box or two of ammo, and you'd learn more from a shooter than visiting a range without any help. :P

A good start is either a .357 double action revolver such as a S&W model 686 or a pistol like a Glock, Springfield XD, S&W M&P, HK USP, Ruger SR-9, etc. base 1911 would be a good start also. Many quality options out there really only limited by your budget.

It might not come to you immediately but after owning one or two guns you will pick up one and it just fits like it was custom made to fit your hand. It just feels right. For many it is a 1911, others a Glock, or a multiple of almost anything.

Hold as many as you can and shoot as many as you can to find out what fits you.

Guest 73challenger
Hi, I have finally decided to buy a weapon. I am going to start with a handgun. I have visted a gun store or two and the most common advice I have heard is "choose what feels right to you". Well I have only shot a couple time so i really have no I dea what I need, want or "what feels right". So I am wondering if there are gun stores/ ranges that allow someone to rent or demo a gun. I am located in east TN. I visit Johnson city, Bristol, Greeneville, Kingsport and gate city VA on a weekly basis so if anyone has a reccomendation for me please let me know. Thanks.

I can't think of anywhere you can rent guns. I really wish point blank was still open. That would have been the ideal place. :-(

First of all, welcome to the world of Firearms...whether looked at as just a hobby or a life necessity (for personal protection) or both I think you'll find your investment of time extremely worthwhile and the people you'll meet along the way are some of the most decent, honest folks around and good people to know; period.

I know it's of no specific help to you but my local indoor range here in Murfreesboro does rent quite a selection of guns; whether there are any ranges withing a reasonable distance to you that do I don't know but I wouldn't be all that surprised if there is some that do.

I would suspect, however, that your best chance of finding such a range is going to be in a fairly heavily populated area (and the more heavily populated/more ranges the more likely you'll be to find such a range).

Personally; I think any recommendation from a stranger, no matter how well intentioned, about what model/type of gun to start with would be premature and likely not very helpful - I have quite a few handguns and all but one is an autoloader and except for my one revolver and one of the autoloaders, they are all 45ACP but that's what I like and am comfortable with. You may be entirely different and even an inexpensive weapon can be quite expensive if you you buy it and decide you don't like it/won't shoot it and if you are planning on eventually carrying a weapon for personal protection then buying seething you'll feel comfortable carrying and can operate safely and accurately become even more critical.

In other words...be patient...make friends in the gun community and then make an informed decision.

Edited by RobertNashville
Guest JLaugh

I appreciate your input. I have been passively considering gun ownership for a few years now. With the state of the world I think of how to fix things. One of many things i see as wrong with our society is the lack of honor, respect and morals. I have reached the point where I believe that gun ownership is not just a right, but an obligation. I believe that if 75% of the population carried, that it would reduce violent crime dramatically. How many common criminals would risk a mugging or convience store robbery if they knew there was a 75% chance anyone they encountered would be armed? I am in no way promoting being a vigilante, but I do believe the protection of self and innocents is legal and if the opportunity ever presents itself, I want to be prepared. I am nervous to make any purchase where I am not well informed of the merchandise. So driving 2 or 3 hours to gain some education, while not a convient choice, is a intelligent one. So if you would, what place in murfreesboro is this?

Guest cheez
Coal Creek Armory does have a decent selection of rentals at their range.

They have about 4 dozen guns that they rent. All of the basic Glocks, Walthers, Sigs, HKs, XDs and a few revolvers. I think they charge about $15 plus ammo to rent a gun for use in their indoor range.

It is Just off of Lovell Rd. in West Knoxville.

Sevier Indoor Range - Indoor Shooting Range serving Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, and Gatlinburg

Never been there but you might want to call Sevier indoor range to see if they rent guns.

Been there several times... nice place. They do have a few handguns to rent. While the range is indoors, it is not climate controlled so dress appropriately.

Once you've looked at a few shops and have an idea what you'd like, CCA might be worth the drive. $100 spent trying out various handguns may save you a couple of buy/sell/trades to find the "right one".

http://www.coalcreekarmory.com/range.html#Firearm%20Rental

I used to live in the Tri-Cities, wish I still did. I had a good experience with Gunslingers in Kingsport.

A good start is either a .357 double action revolver such as a S&W model 686 or a pistol like a Glock, Springfield XD, S&W M&P, HK USP, Ruger SR-9, etc. base 1911 would be a good start also. Many quality options out there really only limited by your budget.

It might not come to you immediately but after owning one or two guns you will pick up one and it just fits like it was custom made to fit your hand. It just feels right. For many it is a 1911, others a Glock, or a multiple of almost anything.

Hold as many as you can and shoot as many as you can to find out what fits you.

Don't forget to look at the CZ 75 series. A lot of folks like the feel of it. I love my P01

I appreciate your input. I have been passively considering gun ownership for a few years now. With the state of the world I think of how to fix things. One of many things i see as wrong with our society is the lack of honor, respect and morals. I have reached the point where I believe that gun ownership is not just a right, but an obligation. I believe that if 75% of the population carried, that it would reduce violent crime dramatically. How many common criminals would risk a mugging or convience store robbery if they knew there was a 75% chance anyone they encountered would be armed? I am in no way promoting being a vigilante, but I do believe the protection of self and innocents is legal and if the opportunity ever presents itself, I want to be prepared. I am nervous to make any purchase where I am not well informed of the merchandise. So driving 2 or 3 hours to gain some education, while not a convient choice, is a intelligent one. So if you would, what place in murfreesboro is this?

They do have a website (Indoor Shooting Range Firearms & Concealed Carry Permit Classes - Murfreesboro, TN - On Target Indoor Gun Range ) and if you decide to make the trip over let me know and I'll meet you there (I'm there about once a week anyway) and I can bring two or three of my guns so you won't have to rent those models! :rolleyes:

with respect... make sure you either take a class or 2 first, or make sure you go shooting with someone experienced. don't just go to the range and blaze away... :rolleyes:

congrats on deciding to arm yourself. now the best thing to do is get some good instruction on basic safety/technique.

honestly, I wouldn't choose a gun until you do... what you learn will definitely influence your choices.

Guest oldsmobile98

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe CCA lets you try as many of their rental guns as you want for a single rental fee. Ammo not included, of course. :)

Welcome to TGO! Feel free to ask us as many questions as you have.

Here's a few resources on "choosing your first gun." My budget was limited, so I skipped buying the .22 and went straight to my defensive handgun (Smith & Wesson .357 revolver). As always, take with a grain of salt.

The AnarchAngel: The "First Handgun" question

YouTube - Choosing Your First Handgun: Part 1

Good First Handguns

Guest m&pc9

If you make it to Sevier indoor range. I can meet with you and you can try out Smith and Wesson M&P line, And I have a couple of Sig Sauers you can try out. They also rent Glocks and xds.

I wish I would have senn this last night, a couple of us got together today in Elizabethton.We had

.45 COLT GOLD CUP TROPHY

.45 KIMBER PRO COLVERT II

.45 HK V1

.45 HK USP

9MM HK P30

2 - 9MM HK P7

.357 SIG P2000 HK SK V3

.40 P2000 HK LEM

.22 BUCKMARK

9MM CZ

M&P 15 .223

3" JUDGE

2 - 5.7 FN

2 PS90

SIG P238

and enough empty brass on the the ground to create a trip hazard

I may go again one day next week if I'm in town.The PS90 is the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Guest SmokiesHiker
If you make it to Sevier indoor range. I can meet with you and you can try out Smith and Wesson M&P line, And I have a couple of Sig Sauers you can try out. They also rent Glocks and xds.

I am a member there also and as long as you bring/buy your own 9mm ammo I have an XD sub compact and the new XD "M" you throw as much lead as you want through them.

For sure you need to get lessons and count on the expense of LOTS of ammo, range time and targets to be competent and safe with a firearm.

Fire at least 100 rounds through any gun you wish to buy and try as many as you can.

Decide of you are looking for Home Defense, Self Defense you will carry or both.

Do not buy junk. You will regret it and it may cost you your life. :D

Edited by SmokiesHiker
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe CCA lets you try as many of their rental guns as you want for a single rental fee. Ammo not included, of course. :D

Almost correct... you pay the rental fee ($15) per caliber. You can try all of their 9mm's for $15. If you switch to .45, you pay another $15 but then get to use all of their .45's. And so on.