I can't believe there is so much hate for the NRA here. Where would we be now if not for them. Do you think the anti's would have let the AWB expire if not for the NRA and its huge membership? Every time the anti's start trouble, the NRA is there taking care of us.

Not a matter of 'hate'. It's a matter of being realistic. The NRA helped write the 1934 National Firearms Act, the 1968 Gun Control Act, allowed the 1986 machinegun ban to pass without comment, compromised on the 1994 Brady Act & 1994 Assault Weapons ban, and has NEVER lobbied to actually repeal an existing law.

That said, they ARE the largest lobby on the side of gun owners. That's why I'm a member. So I can vote out the idiot directors who allow compromise.

Now, more than ever, is the time to refuse to compromise. And to let our legislators know that we are watching them and will campaign FOR people that defend the Constitution and State's Rights, and will fight AGAINST those who sell us out.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I am a member.

Do they make profit? - yep, do I care, no. Its a business that focuses on lobbying and they need funds to do it

Do they fill my mailbox with junk mail? - yep. do I care, no. sometimes they send me something that interests me.

Should everybody join? - No. I am not going to put down anyone who doesn't live their life the way I live mine. That includes my Church, my Gym or my association memberships. To each his own.

I'm a member, and so is my kid. I think it's a worthwile investment, but I do get tired of the junk mail and renewal requests that started coming within a month or two of signing up for an annual membership. I didn't know I could opt out of the junk - I'm going to look into that.

The funny thing about this whole thread...it is a sort of troll in and of itself ----

What does the OP think he knows that we don't. Is it trying to say that you are an idiot if you aren't a member? I mean really...trying to place embarassment of TGO readers who aren't NRA members? Is it trying to shame people in joining?

Is this person like a deacon who casts an evil eye to someone who doesn't drop money in the bucket?

The funny thing about this whole thread...it is a sort of troll in and of itself ----

What does the OP think he knows that we don't. Is it trying to say that you are an idiot if you aren't a member? I mean really...trying to place embarassment of TGO readers who aren't NRA members? Is it trying to shame people in joining?

Is this person like a deacon who casts an evil eye to someone who doesn't drop money in the bucket?

I don't think that was the idea.

Maybe the OP will respond. I just look at it as a place to say... They deserve our support.

Maybe the OP will respond. I just look at it as a place to say... They deserve our support.

Understood, but the way to do it would not be best achieved by lamenting how little support the forum may/may not have for the NRA.

The real answer to the OP if that isn't the case - Most people simply haven't updated their profile.

NRA-ILA is a good organization. Heck folks, the American Rifleman is worth the membership fee.

Guest Gene83

I didn't know that if you were a member of the NRA or had a handgun carry permit that it was a prerequisite for membership here that you announce it to the whole world. By the same token, you can check all the boxes "yes". Does somebody actually follow up to see if you are being truthful?

"Well, shucks I just did the math on his birthday. He's only nine years old. I'll bet he's not really retired military and a law enforcement officer."

Understood, but the way to do it would not be best achieved by lamenting how little support the forum may/may not have for the NRA.

The real answer to the OP if that isn't the case - Most people simply haven't updated their profile.

NRA-ILA is a good organization. Heck folks, the American Rifleman is worth the membership fee.

I think the forum has great support for the NRA. I can't fault anybody for not having it in their budget, but I'm happy to show my support by checking the box.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest HvyMtl

Personally, I do not like their over compromising. Like their support of a writer of a horrific gun control bill... IE: The McCain-Lieberman Bill: "Gun Show Loophole Closing and Gun Law Enforcement Act of 2001."

An Act that would have placed the Feds in charge of gun shows... to close the "gun-show loop hole" ... 05/01 Sens. McCain And Lieberman Introduce Anti-gun Monstrosity

And you guys supported him after he flip /flopped on the topic? No go. The honorable thing would have been to openly state why neither Presidential Candidate deserved your vote...

Edited by HvyMtl
Personally, I do not like their over compromising. Like their support of a writer of a horrific gun control bill... IE: The McCain-Lieberman Bill: "Gun Show Loophole Closing and Gun Law Enforcement Act of 2001."

An Act that would have placed the Feds in charge of gun shows... to close the "gun-show loop hole" ... 05/01 Sens. McCain And Lieberman Introduce Anti-gun Monstrosity

And you guys supported him after he flip /flopped on the topic? No go. The honorable thing would have been to openly state why neither Presidential Candidate deserved your vote...

Do you get any of the NRA magazines? Are you a member? The NRA has and continues to oppose legislation such as the so called gun-show loophole and there was yet another article about their opposition to that just a few months ago in the magazines.

Guest HvyMtl

Warbird, my point was, the NRA threw their support behind McCain, even though he wrote, and tried to have passed, a law which would have effectively eliminated gun shows. Instead, the honorable thing to do was not to compromise, but state BOTH candidates were threats to our 2nd A rights. Like others did...

Since they compromise too much and too often, I do not think they are worth my $.

I am an NRA member but there are quite a lot of things that I don't agree with. No large organization can please all of its members. Just look at the arguments here on TGO about issues.

I feel that the NRA has been compromising way too much over the years. They tell us that it is best to give up some of our rights rather than lose them all. If they had been standing strong for the last 80 years and truly defending the 2nd Amendment we would not have all of these restrictive, unconstitutional laws that we are faced with now. Had they worked to pass very strict laws that prosecuted the criminals rather than allow laws to restrict law abiding citizens we would be in a great position today. I believe that they realized that they should allow government to slowing take away our rights so that it would continue the need for the NRA. Compromise =Self-preservation.

I also think that today they are more about padding the pockets of their upper echelon. The last I heard was that LaPierre was making right at $1,000,000 a year. If he was really about defending the 2A he would be working for a lot less than that. That's 40,000 members at the $25 discounted rate just to pay his salary not to mention his expenses.

As I said at the beginning, I am a member of the NRA as well as the GOA and I guess that I will continue to be since we need organizations like these that can get the National attention that they do. They are very far from what most gun owners want to see and the evidence is their small percentage of members from the total estimate of gun owners in the US. We, NRA members, need to put pressure on the NRA to quit bowing to pressure from the states that are still restricting our 2A rights and put fear back into these politicians. Politicians used to fear the NRA but that is no longer the case. The NRA should have defeated Jimmy Naifeh, and others like him, a looong time ago. That goes for the gun grabbing politicians in all 50 states.

Edited by Volzfan

I recently resigned my membership. The NRA would rather thow gun owners under the bus than fight against laws that limit the rights of their members.

Take Maine for example. After the NP carry law went into effect, some Democrat lawmakers were "very concerned" about Acadia National Park. They introduced a bill to ban all carry. Instead of fighting the bill, the NRA introduced an amendment that would only ban open carry (an actual right in Maine) and require concealed carry (a licensed privledge).

Is this the action of an organization that is supposed to defend our rights?

I recently resigned my membership. The NRA would rather thow gun owners under the bus than fight against laws that limit the rights of their members.

Take Maine for example. After the NP carry law went into effect, some Democrat lawmakers were "very concerned" about Acadia National Park. They introduced a bill to ban all carry. Instead of fighting the bill, the NRA introduced an amendment that would only ban open carry (an actual right in Maine) and require concealed carry (a licensed privledge).

Is this the action of an organization that is supposed to defend our rights?

it may have been the only action they had a chance of winning.

I also think that today they are more about padding the pockets of their upper echelon. The last I heard was that LaPierre was making right at $1,000,000 a year. If he was really about defending the 2A he would be working for a lot less than that. That's 40,000 members at the $25 discounted rate just to pay his salary not to mention his expenses.

This picture tells the whole story about Mr. LaPierre!!!

Harry_Reid_Nevada_NRA_Wayne_LaPierre_Dedicate_shooting_park_300W.jpg

He'll sell us out in a second. He reminds me of another politician who's words don't seem to be consistent with his actions.

In case nobody understands this photo, it is Wayne LaPierre with "Dirty" Harry Reid while the Tea Party Meeting was going on in Nevada. They decided to go shoot together because they are close "buddies".

Edited by tntnixon
it may have been the only action they had a chance of winning.

If they had not been compromising on bills for the last century then the lawmakers would not take on the NRA. It would be a strong force that politicians would still fear and the NRA would probably have 25 to 50 million proud members instead of the 4.3 million that they have today. That is less than 1.5% of the total US population. Why would politicians be afraid to lose that vote?

Now the NRA has to be proud to announce that they once again fought hard to keep a little bit of our 2A rights while giving away a lot more. They don't mention that 2nd part though. They will tell us how badly they need our money to continue the fight.

If they had not been compromising on bills for the last century then the lawmakers would not take on the NRA. It would be a strong force that politicians would still fear and the NRA would probably have 25 to 50 million proud members instead of the 4.3 million that they have today. That is less than 1.5% of the total US population. Why would politicians be afraid to lose that vote?

Now the NRA has to be proud to announce that they once again fought hard to keep a little bit of our 2A rights while giving away a lot more. They don't mention that 2nd part though. They will tell us how badly they need our money to continue the fight.

May be. I don't how it would turn out if they took an uncomprimising stand on everything. I do know how it's worked for me in the past :rolleyes:

May be. I don't how it would turn out if they took an uncomprimising stand on everything. I do know how it's worked for me in the past :rolleyes:

That's my point. It's too late to take uncompromising stances on all bills now. The lawmakers would just pass what they want and the 2A would be history. The time for uncompromised stances was back in the 1930's when laws started to be passed that were unconstitutional.

Unfortunately, now we have to accept compromised laws because we can't risk completely losing all that we still have.

My posts have been to reflect on how we have found ourselves in the position that we are now in and how the NRA has helped us get here.

The real question now is how do we get ourselves out of this without bloodshed.

That's my point. It's too late to take uncompromising stances on all bills now. The lawmakers would just pass what they want and the 2A would be history. The time for uncompromised stances was back in the 1930's when laws started to be passed that were unconstitutional.

Unfortunately, now we have to accept compromised laws because we can't risk completely losing all that we still have.

My posts have been to reflect on how we have found ourselves in the position that we are now in and how the NRA has helped us get here.

The real question now is how do we get ourselves out of this without bloodshed.

At least we seem to be moving in the right direction. 6 million HCP's are encouraging. So is all the legislation relaxing gun carry (one piece at a time). The fact that a we have a government totally controlled by Democrats, and they haven't had the nads to make any move toward gun owners is real encouraging. We're not just holding our own, we're slowly making progress.