Need help with a Glock( cleaning and re-installing)

Ok, I know i'm new at this but i need some help with my Glock 23.

I went riding yesterday at Prentice Cooper with it on me( as i usually do) but it was probably a mistake as the dust was unbearable at times on the trails. I was on my atv as well as there was well over 100 other atv/utvs out on the trails. My gun is functionable, but clogged with dust( i can hear the grinding when i pull the slide back) It needs a thorough cleaning.

My question is this, I am trying to take the slide off my glock and still can't seem to get a grip on it( i am following the MFG's instructions to the letter) and when I tried using a little bit of leverage using my dresser, i inadvertenly took my rear sights off the gun( now i can't get that little piece back on.

Anyone have this prob? and what did you do to fix it? Thanks

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You say you took the sights off the gun. Does that mean they broke off of did they just slide out of the dovetail? If they just slide out, and they are not damaged, they should be able to be pushed back in (by the way this is alot easier with a sight pusher than trying to use a hammer). But if they broke then you will need a new sight.

Guest DeadEye

To take slide off, remove mag then cycle slide to ensure chamber is empty, if chamber is empty dry fire gun, then grab gun with 1 hand and pull slide back about2 in and from below and with thumb on 1 side and index finger on other side pull down on slide latch and simply the push slide forward!

As far as the rear sight, follow instructions in above post!

Best wishes!

So far i have followed the instructions( that came with my glock from the manufacturer). But still can't get the slide to come off. the rear sight isn't broken, just i can't seem to get the darn thing past the metal retention bumps in the slide.

Where do i find a sight pusher?

Thanks

Unload and clear. Double and triple check to make sure it's clear.

Cycle the gun, the place you right thumb under the beaver tail, your first three fingers over the top of the slide, and finally, your pinkie on the trigger.

Pull the slide back a bit like a press check with the fingers on the top of the slide. Use your left thumb and index finger to pull down on the dis-assembly switch, release the slide and pull the trigger with your pinkie.

Clean thoroughly, and reassemble.

Then practice this technique until your fingers bleed.

Chris Barrett showed me this way of doing it, and with practice, you can tear it down scary fast.

Guest DeadEye

If gun has mag removed and chamber empty then dry fire it, take right hand and hold slide back with thumb on frame and upper part of hand on top of slide and hold it back about 1 -2 in, then with other hand pull lever down and push slide forward while lever is held down!

Where do i find a sight pusher?

Most gunshops that put night sights on should have one. And I would think that most would be willing to help you get your sight back on and show you how to take apart your gun. It's hard to tell a person how to take a Glock apart. It is alot better when you can show them how/where to put their hands.

Have you ever had this Glock field stripped before to clean?

I have never had this field stripped to clean before( i haven't fired it as much as i would have liked to).

I do clean the gun, just with the slide on.

Gun is always unloaded when i am cleaning it or working on it.

Just until i can get the rear sight put back on, I cannot get a grip on the slide and pull the 2 buttons to remove the slide.

Did dry fire gun, still hard to pull slide off.

I called Gander, but their gunsmith will be off work when I'm off work( guess i'll have to wait till saturday).

Looked up the "sight pusher" online, no pic, and they are sold out of them at the site my boss generally uses.

Thinking about upgrading to "Laserlyte" sights, but right now $200 is a lot i can't see paying for something so small.

Edited by Wyldk2
CK1 pointed out something i forgot to mention

Just a guess, but sounds like you may be forgetting to dry-fire it at the start to take tension off the trigger-bar and striker... without doing that it's not coming apart.

I posted the vid before as a joke because normally it should be pretty easy to field strip a Glock...

I have never had this field stripped to clean before( i haven't fired it as much as i would have liked to).

I do clean the gun, just with the slide on.

Gun is always unloaded when i am cleaning it or working on it.

Just until i can get the rear sight put back on, I cannot get a grip on the slide and pull the 2 buttons to remove the slide.

Did dry fire gun, still hard to pull slide off.

I called Gander, but their gunsmith will be off work when I'm off work( guess i'll have to wait till saturday).

Looked up the "sight pusher" online, no pic, and they are sold out of them at the site my boss generally uses.

Thinking about upgrading to "Laserlyte" sights, but right now $200 is a lot i can't see paying for something so small.

Not to be a dick, but you need to put the gun away and sit down with someone who is knowledgeable about firearms before the gun becomes damaged (more so then now)or you get hurt.

Guns are not something to be learned about from trial and error.

The wrong error could be a fatal one...

Edited by strickj

Oh, i got the slide off today, just took a different approach than the vids and the manual( used my Brain to think this one out).

I just never had to take it off before.

Now the sights aren't recommended that you use anything other than a sight pusher to re-install or install new sights. A nice sight pusher runs from between $90 and $200 maybe more.

I just don't see the sense in having one of these unless i had a business where i dealt with guns all the time or had more guns than I needed( which I'm sure there are collectors). I'll just take it to the gunsmith sometime this week, or saturday and have the sights re-installed. Till then if it comes to it, all i got to do is line the front sight with my target and pull the trigger.

Thanks for the help.

Guest DeadEye
Oh, i got the slide off today, just took a different approach than the vids and the manual( used my Brain to think this one out).

I am wondering as to the new way youre Brain found to take it apart?

Mind sharing????????????????/

I am wondering as to the new way youre Brain found to take it apart?

Mind sharing????????????????/

I just figured out a better way to take this apart and no I did not take StrickJ's advice either. ( I think main reason why i could not get the slide off first was it had a little rem oil on the slide keeping me from getting a grip on it plus with me not having my rear sight in i lost a little bit on something to hold to move the slide back). Plus it could have been that the spring was a little stiff.

I don't know what everyone's problem is, Is someone a little scared that someone else new to Glocks has a little more trouble than most in just removing the slide? But i figured it out, it has been off, cleaned and back on( now to get that rear sight installed).

Just have to figure it out, it isn't rocket science.

StrickJ, I don't think you as a dick, maybe an ass or something else though.:cool: